Flower - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-09-2009, 02:34 PM

Default Flower

This PSN downloadable is getting some mighty fine reviews (esp. for a download-only game). This includes A from 1UP and 9.0 from IGN.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/plat...lower?q=flower

Personally, I am interested just based on the visuals alone.

Dickscuss.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:36 PM

Still not sure what the point of this game is. Can anyone explain it for me?

Also, I'm assuming this comes out Thursday given the recent reviews, right?
Old 02-09-2009, 02:40 PM

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/952/952529p1.html

Quote:
Flower is a poem, where you as the player participate in the dreams of flowers confined to the ever-changing landscape of a colorless city. Each dream, or stage, revolves around a different theme and gameplay objective, but your method of control remains the same: tilt the controller to direct a series of flower petals through beautiful environments. Press any button to stir up a wind that will coax them along. As you begin with one flower petal, you'll soon touch other flowers and gather more petals, generally influencing the environment in a way that pleases the dreamer. This setup works amazingly well to create varying tasks for you to enjoy.

As odd as it sounds, thatgamecompany has created one of the most elegantly crafted gaming experiences of all time, where learning only takes a moment -- if it doesn't already come naturally. I've never felt motion controls work so seamlessly before, but Flower is a testament to how effective the scheme can be when used properly. Even turning the controller upside down will cause the petals to blow in a loop or travel towards the camera. Furthermore, the fact that the game only requires one button (any button on the controller) makes it totally approachable. I found the right analog stick to be my favorite method of controlling the wind, as applying a light amount of pressure caused a weaker breeze and subsequently allowed for more precise control.

In truth, that's really all there is to Flower from a gameplay perspective, but the experience is much more fulfilling than you could understand just from reading about it. Watching the petals join together in a subtle blend of light and musical notes while thousands of blades of grass billow back to life stirred deeply-rooted emotions in me. The majesty of it all stems from the fact that Flower tells you so much by saying so little -- as if a Zen poem had been lovingly shaped into a videogame. This is the sort of experience that anyone can enjoy with the right attitude. There is no death or failure. You simply complete the objectives and solve organic puzzles in your own time while basking in the euphoria of the game's visuals and music.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:44 PM

Yeah - i was going to post this up too..Mainly, because apparently it is supposed to be overwhelmingly emotional. Now, personally, I can't say I've ever truly been emotionally overwhelmed by a video game...I've had a few of them cause me to think about things moments after they end, but I usually shrug it all off pretty quick and go about my business.

Apparently, this thing really has the ability to bring some sort of emotions or feelings front and center while you play....I don't know.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/09/jo...ew-flower-psn/
Old 02-09-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
As odd as it sounds, thatgamecompany has created one of the most elegantly crafted gaming experiences of all time,
This sentence here has me very interested.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:51 PM

I read the description posted, and think I understand the basic concept, but I still don't get it. Anyways, a game that's main attractions seem to be getting lost in the visuals and enjoying the poetic nature probably isn't the best game for me.

Maybe it's just not being described right and I'd have to actually see it, but as is, nothing I've heard has sparked any interest of mine in this game.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerGuy View Post
This sentence here has me very interested.
The most interesting part to me is the 9.99 portion of it...haha

Made by the same team that did Flow, apparently...which, out of all the utter shit (and gems, of course) that I've downloaded of PSN, I've yet to still get.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:53 PM

I'm glad that we're talking about this one, It looks interesting, and could probably get my wife interested.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStroms View Post
I read the description posted, and think I understand the basic concept, but I still don't get it. Anyways, a game that's main attractions seem to be getting lost in the visuals and enjoying the poetic nature probably isn't the best game for me.

Maybe it's just not being described right and I'd have to actually see it, but as is, nothing I've heard has sparked any interest of mine in this game.
This alone sparked my interest:

Old 02-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Watcher of stances

definite purchase for me, loved Flow