What Constructive EFFECTS have Nintendo, Sony & Microsoft had on the Gaming industry? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-08-2009, 08:44 PM

Default What Constructive EFFECTS have Nintendo, Sony & Microsoft had on the Gaming industry?

We can attack this in many categories!

1. Vision
2. Hardware Design
3. Marketing & PR
4. Internal Games & Parties
5. Invention = Innovative hardware & games
6. Connectivity (Online & Offline)
7. Pricing (good/bad)
8. Willing to learn from past mistakes
9. Support of 3rd Parties
10. Rate how you feel how the big 3 have done overall (generations review)

I thought this might be a more contructive way to review the big 3! Remember, positive and constructive argument. (Argument shouldn't be your focus.) Tell us why you feel the way you do not "this system sucks, that's a kids machine crap". Tell your experiences with the companies but, more importantly tell us what they can do to be better (in your eyes) and how said company(s) can win your support in the future.

(MODs I hope you will support this thread as a way to promote positive feedback and if it becomes a big thread maybe send it to the big 3 as a review of their gaming public.)

Well, ladies and gentleman get to it!
Old 02-09-2009, 09:22 AM

1. Sony, Nintendo and M$ = Games
2. Sony and Nintendo = Hardware
3. M$ = Console Online Gaming
Old 02-09-2009, 09:27 AM

Microsoft = Popularizing online console gaming. Pioneering console online stores. Pushing community gaming.

Sony = constantly pushing the hardware side of things. Blu-Ray, Blutooth controllers....

Nintendo = reaching out to audiences whom wouldn't normally play games and expanding gaming to the casual audiences, further helping gaming get accepted as mainstream.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:15 AM

MS= online console gaming but even more than that, making it a legitimate incredibly refined pay for service that is worth the price. Also marketing scale. They have show what a large marketing push can do for a title. Console innovation through all the features available this gen to both hd consoles

Sony= Hardware Advancement and quality. Also incredibly high game visual and audio fidelity and over all game quality. Console innovation through all the features available this gen to both hd consoles.

Nintendo= For me the jury is out on this one. They may have reached the masses, but at what cost. I feel like Sony and MS are going to take notice and pull back from hardcore gamers to a more profitable structure like nintendo at the cost of hardcore gaming. I hope Im wrong but we will see.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:58 AM

MS = Auto-Regenerating Health, RROD as an acronym, and online gaming

Sony = DVD and Blu-ray popularity, rock-solid hardware, and a warning not to think that a previous generation's success will instantly mean current-gen success

Nintendo = The Bowling
Old 02-09-2009, 11:58 AM

Microsoft: Online gaming becoming as popular as it is.

Nintendo: Reaching out to new audiences.

Sony: This is something different than what most people have said. Look at their PSN games and their retail games. Many of them are very artistic and cinematic in nature. I don't see either Nintendo or Microsoft really pushing as deep into this territory.

I think Sony and Microsoft are tearing up the game quality department together, though. Hopefully a lot of the people Nintendo brings in graduate to the PS3 or to the 360 (hopefully both)
Old 02-09-2009, 12:18 PM

MS = Online gaming, online community, online stores, and hardware design.
Sony =Hardware design, DVD/BluRay
Nintendo = Casual gaming, inexpensive hardware.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:01 PM

MS
Has revolutionized the way online gaming has been handled, the DC from Sega had a dream, but MS took that dream and expanded on it in ways many could never expect.

They have taken digital distribution both with games and movies to new heights, and this gen have worked very hard to bring the consumer whatever they could want.

Microsoft has made it clear that they are in this for the long haul and have truely tried to appease the gamers as a whole with quality, unlike last generation.

Nintendo
basiclly created gaming as we know it today, they brought the consonle to the family and ultimatly to success, this generation they have expanded that idea and are reaching new hieghts and audiences with their simple interface and control scheme...

Mario, Link, DK we all know these names as Nintendo has continuously made it a goal to deliver a incredibly solid 1st party IP lineup of games sine their creation, it's one of the led reasons the top sellers on a N platform are almost always Nintendo games.

Family friendly has been a title that has been Nintendo's best and worst friend, and love it or lump it the N platforms are nearly always the place to go for the most kid and family oriented content.

Don't forget Nintendo was the first to allow up to 4 players to play at the same time for some great splitscreen fun, we all remember Goldeneye frag fests and MK racing challenges

Sony
Sony's biggest achievment however was one that many on here neglected, after taking off on thier own after a botched agreement with the big N, Sony catered to and gave free reign to 3rd party developers, no longer was the censorship that plauged past generations still there, games could cross into the dreaded M rating area and bring complex issues like murder, and sex to the front of the gaming scene. Other consoles had done this as well, but none had the success that Sony's PS did, and thus Sony helped bring gaming to the mainstream and created a new audience.

As others has said Sony has always pushed for harware advancment in thier consoles, and multimed diverity, from the simple CD player in the PS to the smorgasboard of options available in the PS3

I also believe Sony was the first to take comfort in gaming to new heights with the original PS controller and then the Dualshocks design

MOST IMPORTANTLY...however
Is the fact that these innovations have sparked numerous RE-novattions from one to the other. Competition begets brilliance and in thier continued moves to outdo one another they continue to grow and thrive, and in the end the true benifitter is US the gamers.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:00 PM

Nintendo: Fun Factor, Party type games, New way of gaming to avoid being a couch potato. Wii fit is awesome. Hardware design is adequate with pricing being a key factor to most people buying it. I think the wii = the name WEEEEEEE (fun factor)

MS: Online Community and making $$ from it. Launch system bad design flaw :/.
Otherwise I do enjoy the exclusives on this platform.

Sony: Blu-ray and it's reliability that has been in my opinion very stable from day 1.
PS to current My ps1, PS2 and launch PS3 are running strong as it was purchased from day 1. I mainly utilize this hardware for blu-ray capabilities, but do enjoy it's exclusives.