The negative effect Microsoft has had on the gaming industry*Analysis and discussion* - High-Def Digest Forums
Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 12:38 AM
Banned

Default The negative effect Microsoft has had on the gaming industry*Analysis and discussion*

Here it is folks. I'm laying it bare. Microsoft did a tremendous job of pushing high technology into the market, but together lets examine, critically, some of the worst impacts that Microsoft has had on the general market for video games.

DLC has been an enormous proponent of market greed in current gen, and this will only escalate, as games will be stripped of standard game modes, forcing players to pay just extra just for a normal gaming experience. Pay to use DLC was invented by Microsoft, this alteration of the market paved the way for pay to play DLC for both the PS3 and Wii. There is no way around this, they found a new way for the industry to nickel and dime us.

Imitation over innovation. Microsoft's new strategy is showing a company that has ran out of steam, a company who's only unique identity can be derived by external developers...a very hardcore risk...especially when these companies, INEVITABLY go multi-platform. Can one game, namely Halo, sustain the Xbox franchise permenantely? The game has a huge following and is massively commercially successful, but the Playstation and Nintendo brand franchises have already proven to have far higher sales numbers in the long run.

What happened to indisputably one of the best gaming software developers to ever exist? Microsoft's acquistion of Rare, the famed Nintendo second party developer, ruined the company. No longer does Rare issue Triple A games, but now seeks derived and just slightly above average venues. Oh how the great have fallen.

Commercialization over innovation. Halo brand pop? Overpriced DLC? Excessive marketing campaigns? In the end, we the consumer are made to pay for these excesses. This is a bad trend that can set the wrong kind of business standards for a hardware company. Look at the subtly of the Wii advertising campaigns, they sell astronomically more than the 360 and are likely a fraction of the budget! Word of mouth is a superior medium to mass commercial blitzes, apparently. Although, from a hardcore perspective the Wii is a disappointment, Nintendo has very intelligently this generation found new crowds to enjoy the digital medium known as video games, so they must be respected for that, even if they will not release any great triple A games worth playing this year. Instead of releasing the next great things, they negotiate to have competitors games published on their platform as well. Although this succeeds in leveling the platform of accessibility, that also ends up diluting the uniqueness of not only the 360, but the PS3 as well.

Pitting itself as a hardcore industry competitor instead of being an industry visionary. What happened to the days when a console distinguished itself by creating revolutionary software that was really different than anything out there, with hardware features that gave it the leading edge? Nope now Microsoft is in the business of transforming the industry into a platform for conquest, hell bent on a monopolistic quest to over-commercialize everything that is the video game. If Microsoft ever got to a point where it completely dominated the industry, we would have to expect to be gouged to death by them. Their nickel and diming is one of the most under-handed practices in the industry. A supped up PC-like console is what we all want, right? No we want innovative products with fair prices and broader appeal.

We need to support Nintendo and Sony in the next console generation and keep in perspective their insistence on true innovation with reasonable market practices. When you open either of those two companies boxes you have fully working functional consoles, not a base system that requires expensive upgrades and annual maintenance. All three companies want whats in your wallet, just so happens that MIcrosoft wants more of it, and will want even more in the future.

This is not a smackdown of the Xbox or the Xbox brand, but instead an examination of the dangers to us that a commercial collossus like Microsoft would pose to all of us, should their strategy prove to be too successful.

Discuss.

(Republished with permission by Michaelo.)
Old 02-08-2009, 12:56 AM

Tenacious.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastGenius View Post
DLC has been an enormous proponent of market greed in current gen, and this will only escalate, as games will be stripped of standard game modes, forcing players to pay just extra just for a normal gaming experience. .

Imitation over innovation.

What happened to indisputably one of the best gaming software developers to ever exist?

Commercialization over innovation.

Pitting itself as a hardcore industry competitor instead of being an industry visionary.

This is not a smackdown of the Xbox or the Xbox brand, but instead an examination of the dangers to us that a commercial collossus like Microsoft would pose to all of us, should their strategy prove to be too successful.

Discuss.

(Republished with permission by Michaelo.)
DLC, has been an instrument for publishers and developers to keep interest in games over a longer period of time, drum up media coverage, and help prevent people from trading games in. More positives than negatives.

Imitation? Microsoft paved all sorts of user interface, hardware, and internet function roads. Sony and Nintendo are playing catch up there.

There's a big reason why Nintendo wanted to get rid of Rare. Besides, they have made great games, games they've always made. It's not like you can't go buy them.

Commercialization? ....... Ever heard of the Unicef Game Console?

Gaming is better because of Microsoft. That is indisputable. I'm not saying that gaming on Xbox is better overall. Competition is the flavor of life, and I don't think Microsoft is gonna bully Sony out anytime soon. Obviously Nintendo isn't having problems either.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:15 AM
Banned

The online functionality that Microsoft created was a GOD SEND. But the point of this thread was very specifically to look at the negative impacts they have made. Sure new game content is an excellent addition, but unfortunately most DLC upgrades are frivilous over-priced items. Its a model that could be exploited further in the future, with base gameplay requiring expensive upgrade in order to experience the "full deal". maybe this would be inflation in disguise (instead of raising software prices, we would still pay $60 for a half game experience, and then pay another $40 for needed upgrades).
Old 02-08-2009, 01:17 AM

Not sure why this isn't in smackdown but, my guess is the OP doesn't want to hear he's wrong on every point. I motion the following, lock this thread because if the OP doesn't do it a mod will. This thread seeks good coverage in the games forum but, it's still pure flamebait by the OP. Lock or be locked!
What's next, DD killed DVD and all thing Blu? You seem to forget about the many 3rd parties involved and none of them were forced by Microsoft to create DD. What's this they support the idea well crap, there goes your whole post!

The other so called bullet points aren't even worth the time of discussion!

Last edited by Wulf; 02-08-2009 at 01:28 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
Not sure why this isn't in smackdown but, my guess is the OP doesn't want to hear he's wrong on every point. I motion the following, lock this thread because if the OP doesn't do it a mod will. This thread seeks good coverage in the games forum but, it's still pure flamebait by the OP. Lock or be locked!
What's next, DD killed DVD and all thing Blu? You seem to forget about the many 3rd parties involved and none of them were forced by Microsoft to create DD. What's this they support the idea well crap, there goes your whole post!
Haha, it was already posted in smackdown a few days ago, and promptly locked.

Apparently he worked out a deal with the mod to post it here.....
Old 02-08-2009, 01:34 AM

Well, if that's the deal then I suggest no one else post after me in this thread. Aha I got it, why don't we add why Nintendo and Sony are bad for the industry while we're at it!
Old 02-08-2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastGenius View Post
The online functionality that Microsoft created was a GOD SEND. But the point of this thread was very specifically to look at the negative impacts they have made. Sure new game content is an excellent addition, but unfortunately most DLC upgrades are frivilous over-priced items. Its a model that could be exploited further in the future, with base gameplay requiring expensive upgrade in order to experience the "full deal". maybe this would be inflation in disguise (instead of raising software prices, we would still pay $60 for a half game experience, and then pay another $40 for needed upgrades).
Firvolous items that nobody makes you buy on games that nobody makes you buy on systems that nobody makes you buy.

I bet Mirrors Edge's sales were hurt because of all the press about how short it was. Stuff like this will always be included in reviews, and people will consume accordingly.

You cannot create an all Microsoft negative thread in a vacuum. Everything that we've talked about Nintendo and Sony have promptly copied. Minus the subscription cost for playing online. However, the consumer has voted with the wallet, and it's a perceived worth value for enough people.

Remember when you bought any game before Xbox live? Multipalayer maps, were the maps you were stuck with. I like this flexibility.

There's more potential for negative effects, than negative results. Competition is what will keep everything from getting rediculous. If what say does happen, and i'm sure it will in some cases, there will most certainly be games that do not do it, and word of mouth, and media, will spread in favor of that.

I mean, it's ridiculous to claim that WE pay for ad campaigns. Ad campaigns are investments to make money on selling higher volumes of games. I can't believe that any business man well say yes "lets spend more money on advertising, assuming we'll make the money back on people buying the game, and later spending $10 a piece on DLC 3 months later."
Old 02-08-2009, 02:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf View Post

The other so called bullet points aren't even worth the time of discussion!

I was told by a moderator to move this thread to the game-room. Thank you for not trolling, goodbye. Also please learn how to post your ideas coherently, even if you are trolling. This thread is for discussion, not smackdown, if you try to turn it into than you are flamebaiting. I will not respond to you anymore in this thread unless you change your approach.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averry View Post
Firvolous items that nobody makes you buy on games that nobody makes you buy on systems that nobody makes you buy.

I bet Mirrors Edge's sales were hurt because of all the press about how short it was. Stuff like this will always be included in reviews, and people will consume accordingly.

You cannot create an all Microsoft negative thread in a vacuum. Everything that we've talked about Nintendo and Sony have promptly copied. Minus the subscription cost for playing online. However, the consumer has voted with the wallet, and it's a perceived worth value for enough people.

Remember when you bought any game before Xbox live? Multipalayer maps, were the maps you were stuck with. I like this flexibility.

There's more potential for negative effects, than negative results. Competition is what will keep everything from getting rediculous. If what say does happen, and i'm sure it will in some cases, there will most certainly be games that do not do it, and word of mouth, and media, will spread in favor of that.

I mean, it's ridiculous to claim that WE pay for ad campaigns. Ad campaigns are investments to make money on selling higher volumes of games. I can't believe that any business man well say yes "lets spend more money on advertising, assuming we'll make the money back on people buying the game, and later spending $10 a piece on DLC 3 months later."
Ceterus Peribus...You can hold everything constant in order to focus on specific traits. Instead of the usual, mindless de-railing that occurs in a smackdown/argument thread. Microsoft has some great, and some terrible impacts on the industry, that effects all gamers. Here we are focusing on the negatives, while for now ignoring the positives.

I've got a business degree FROM COLLEGE! And yes business people invest money into advertising campaigns solely to increase the visibility of their product. It can increase sales, but their isn't always proof, and it is a cost that eventually gets passed along to the consumer, in some form. We pay for some of Microsoft's expenses, the main corporation pays for the rest of their expenses, because are they ever in the hole.
Closed Thread