Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor (DS) Announced for US - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-06-2009, 07:47 PM

Default Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor (DS) Announced for US

SRPG SMT game? Sign me up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6Nx9vyLsyk

ATLUS WELCOMES NEW DEMON OVERLORDS WITH RPG/SRPG HYBRID SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI®: DEVIL SURVIVOR™ FOR NINTENDO DS™
Faithful, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor is coming to North America this June. It represents the first venture for the series onto Nintendo DS, and brings with it a unique RPG/SRPG hybrid engine, sure to be a breath of fresh air for genre fans. ZOMG, Faithful. ZOMG, indeed.

This is a complete SMT experience; nothing has been lost in the translation to a handheld. Character customization is as deep as ever, with players given the ability to manually apply stats to not only their party characters, but their demons, too. The process of collecting and fusing demons plays out differently than in any SMT game prior, with a new Demon Auction system completely changing how players acquire new demons. The combat engine, a hybrid of tactical maps and old-school first-person battle, is refreshingly different and pleasantly fast, sparing players the exposition of other RPGs and letting them get through the action as fast as they'd like.

Even the game's story breaks a few traditional RPG clichés. For one, you're not out to save the world. The Japanese government has gone ahead and taken care of that for you. Trouble is, they did so by putting a part of Tokyo under quarantine. I guess they were worried all those invading demons that appeared out of nowhere might get out... demons you're now kinda trapped with. Forget saving the world; start with trying to save yourself! Decisions made throughout the game will affect the course of the story, ultimately ending in a showdown where your choice of alliance will determine the survival of thousands.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor locks down your free time on June 23rd with an MSRP of $29.99.

Not Registered? Click HERE to sign up!

For much more on Devil Survivor, pick up the March 2009 issue of Nintendo Power magazine and check out the huge, in-depth preview!
Old 02-06-2009, 07:51 PM

Ewww they used YouTube?! Isn't there some other video avenue they could use instead of something infested with Google shit?
Oh and weasl. I heard you're a programmer. I hope some day you will get to work with Atlus or Priobe(headed by Yuji Naka).
Old 02-06-2009, 08:05 PM
HDD Contributor

Still waiting for that official Shin Megami Tensei "Proper" sequel. I don't care if it's on the PS2 or PS3, just Make It Happen already. Nocturne came out in 2004, my God, it's been five years...
Old 02-06-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarang View Post
Ewww they used YouTube?! Isn't there some other video avenue they could use instead of something infested with Google shit?
Oh and weasl. I heard you're a programmer. I hope some day you will get to work with Atlus or Priobe(headed by Yuji Naka).
Actually i'm a game designer. The programmers get paid more.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:37 AM

The reviews are surfacing, and theya re looking mighty fine! I just reordered it @ Amazon, though I'm sure it will be a while before I really start playing it. Gotta support the key games in the series!
Old 06-24-2009, 07:38 AM

I'm just mad they did it for the DS and not the PS2.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:59 AM

Well it does take advantage of the systems strengths, it would be a completely different game if it were for the PS2. Anyway the DS is the system for RPGs right now, so why wouldn't you own one if you're a fan of the genre?
Old 06-24-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaughterX View Post
Well it does take advantage of the systems strengths, it would be a completely different game if it were for the PS2.
The DS has no strengths compared to the PS2. I would prefer JRPG's come out on the PS2, and not the DS. Playing a game on a small screen, whether it's PSP or DS isn't the ideal. The only strength is that it's portable which to me really isn't one.

Quote:
Anyway the DS is the system for RPGs right now, so why wouldn't you own one if you're a fan of the genre?
Well it's a system for RPG's, if I don't buy them then it sends a clear message maybe they should put it out on another console.