IGN: Top 10 Smug Hardcore Gamer Quotes - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-04-2009, 10:34 PM

Default IGN: Top 10 Smug Hardcore Gamer Quotes

I was browsing around IGN and found this. Found it funny and "true" (true in the way it makes fun of pretentious gamers). A bunch of the quotes on there seriously remind me of certain specific people that post around here.

http://retro.ign.com/articles/950/950939p1.html

Quote:
10 Japanese Voice Acting

"If a Japanese voice track is available, it must be listened to. You are already one layer away from the original writing, so why paper over more of the developer's vision by listening to American voice actors, which are atrocious by and large? Listening to the Japanese voice track is the only way to experience the real nuances of the game. Me? I have a good enough ear to differentiate a good Japanese voice actor from a bad one."

9 World of Warcraft Pity

"You're only at level 30? I'm capped. However, the real enjoyment in World of Warcraft is not the leveling. No, it's being able to help lesser players after you have acquired all of your gear. But don't worry. Lucky for you, they dropped mounts down to level 30, so you'll have a chance to finally get somewhere."

8 The Secret Genius of Super Mario Bros. 2

"I can see why you think Super Mario Bros. 3 is the superior entry in the 8-bit Mario series. It feels good to have so many people agree with you. But if you can get some proper perspective, you will understand that Super Mario Bros. 2 is the best of the trio. The dream world theme is an exciting Jungian alternative to the plebian task of saving the princess. However, if you really want to experience Super Mario Bros. 2 properly, you should import the game Nintendo ravaged to make it: Doki Doki Panic. No, playing it on an emulator does not count."

7 Final Fantasy VII is Overrated

"No other game defines 'overrated' quite like Final Fantasy VII. The greatest RPG ever? Maybe if your trajectory toward it started at Spyro the Dragon. Square's desire to make the game accessible was its undoing. Accessible is just another word for shallow, which is what Final Fantasy VII fans are. Those of us who actually know something about videogames realize that Final Fantasy peaked with the Super Nintendo entries. Anybody that argues against IV and VI is just embarrassing themselves -- and videogames in whole."

6 Saturn vs. PlayStation

"I suppose I can see why you believe the PlayStation is a better machine than the Saturn, just as I can see why some people prefer 'Annie Hall' over 'Manhattan.' They've been told to. But the Saturn outpaces the PlayStation's 2D capabilities, which allowed developers not intoxicated by Sony's marketing to craft real games for, well, real gamers. Have you experienced the Japan-only Vampire Savior that required the RAM cartridge? All the evidence you need is in the animation for Morrigan's Darkness Illusion Flattener. Actually, I would go so far as to say hardcore gaming died with the Saturn."

5 The Grand Theft Auto III Aftermath

"Grand Theft Auto III killed videogames. If you need it explained to you, then perhaps you should just leave this conversation and go browse the Lids at the mall."

4 Shmups are Real Shooters

"You downloaded Galaga Legions? I mean, it's a good shooter if you've never heard of Border Down or Guwange. But I like to actually push myself. You probably haven't heard of the bullet curtain sub-genre yet. But that's where the action is. This weekend, I'm going to dig into memorizing the patterns in Mushihime-sama. I bought a board of it for my cabinet at home because the PlayStation 2 port of it was ruined with an arranged mode. But you have fun with Galaga Lesions. I mean, Legions."

3 Japanese RPGs vs. Western RPGs

"Western-made RPGs lack the laser focus of Japanese RPGs, or JRPGs if you don't mind for the rest of this conversation. Handing over the decision-making process entirely to the player is fine for a title like Fallout 3, a game desperate to be loved by the Madden crowd. But a linear, mechanical JRPG is a true work of art. The designer should exert control over the experience, just as Pollack directed the globules of paint in his masterpieces. Just as those weren't random paint splotches, those monster encounters are not truly random battles. They are interludes required to condition you for appreciating the entirety of the vision."

2 Halo's Pistol

"Your complaint that the pistol in the original Halo was overpowered is essentially what brought down the entire series. Unfortunately, Bungie listened to people like you and changed its values. I understand you believe that made Halo 2 and Halo 3 more balanced multiplayer games, but you are indeed tragically wrong. The pistol was the dominant weapon in the original Halo, but because every player started with it, it made the game a truer test of skill. There is blood on your hands, sir."

1 ...and the Wii Defense

"Real gamers appreciate the difficulty of achieving exact controls with the Wii Remote. Remember, this is a whole new world of gaming. Absolute precision should not be expected. Can a baby stack blocks perfectly the first time in the crib? No. And that is essentially what we are now: infants exploring a whole new world outside the comforts of the womb."
Old 02-04-2009, 10:42 PM

I was hoping to find one I could fit into... now I feel left out.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:52 PM

I'm glad to, absolutely disagree with the JRPG - Western RPG comparison.

JRPGs are fine, but Western RPGs have this exclusive feeling. Many of them are equipped with a far more complex level system, nowadays.

And there aren't Western RPGs popping up every 2nd day.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:42 PM

How come there's no PC elitist quotes in there?
Old 02-05-2009, 01:03 AM

FFVII is overrated.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:08 AM

"Halo's Pistol", "Shmups are Real Shooters" and "Saturn vs. Playstation"
for me.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:13 AM

I fall into a couple of them

10) Yeah I can actually understand a bit of Japanese and can recognize voice actors. I can also understand whats being said enough to know when the translation doesn't match the spoken dialog. Most Japanese games recycle the same voice actors anyways.

7) I'm not a big fan of FF7, i was too busy playing western RPGs at the time (Baldur's Gate!). I'm sure i'd enjoy it if i played it again but at the time I played it with the terrible PC port.. At least you could access the movies directly off the disk..
Old 02-05-2009, 01:18 AM

HURRAY!!! I don't fall into any of these. I got some personality altering to do.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
7 Final Fantasy VII is Overrated

"No other game defines 'overrated' quite like Final Fantasy VII. The greatest RPG ever? Maybe if your trajectory toward it started at Spyro the Dragon. Square's desire to make the game accessible was its undoing. Accessible is just another word for shallow, which is what Final Fantasy VII fans are. Those of us who actually know something about videogames realize that Final Fantasy peaked with the Super Nintendo entries. Anybody that argues against IV and VI is just embarrassing themselves -- and videogames in whole."
someone around here fits perfectly on that one.

oh and I agree with some of this comment.

Quote:
2 Halo's Pistol

"Your complaint that the pistol in the original Halo was overpowered is essentially what brought down the entire series. Unfortunately, Bungie listened to people like you and changed its values. I understand you believe that made Halo 2 and Halo 3 more balanced multiplayer games, but you are indeed tragically wrong. The pistol was the dominant weapon in the original Halo, but because every player started with it, it made the game a truer test of skill. There is blood on your hands, sir."
Old 02-05-2009, 02:27 AM

i only fit in the Saturn vs. Playstation. i remember having Resident Evil on it and importing Xmen vs Street Fighter. man those were the days.