So, I just picked up Virtua Fighter 5 (360) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-02-2009, 12:03 AM

Default So, I just picked up Virtua Fighter 5 (360)

Running errands with the wife and baby yesterday, I saw VF5 at Target on clearance for $14. Couldn't resist.

Anyhow, I am not minding the 360 d-pad on it. Having not played VF since the Dreamcast days, I was surprised at how easily it was to step back in to. I started remembering combos and moves and pulling other random shit out of my ass. I'm loving it.

No real point to my thread other than to say this game seems to suit me much more than Soul Calibur. I picked SCIV up at launch (PS3) and it just sits collecting dust. Haven't had nearly as much fun as I thought I would with it Characters seems hugely unbalanced with some cheap mofos thrown in there - hello Kileak (even though he's my main guy).

The Quest mode is awesome so far and I see myself really trying to get better at it. To me, it's a "zone" game like Geometry Wars where you start pulling off moves and technique about five seconds before your brain catches up. A well played match in VF genuinely looks like a well choreographed fight. I just wish Lion didn't have such incredibly douchey and nasally taunts.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:07 AM

I loved VF4 evo. but didnt love VF5. I might give it ago again later.
I LOVE Dead Or Alive 4, if you dont have it, DL the demo.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:08 AM

I hate DOA4.

But that's solely because my brother's GF owns me in that game.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:05 AM

I'm not at big fan of VF or Tekken. I enjoy DOA and SC though *shrug* to each is own. I'm just not a fan of the supper combo driven games like them.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:35 AM

VF isn't really a "combo driven" game.

SC and Tekken sort of share the same sort of "short burst" game style. Means you attack in quick strikes and "juggle". In high level play, it's rather risky to bust out long sting "combos", as you can leave yourself open to "counters". I try to play rather defensively. I'm working on my juggling, but find playing to be rather hard without a good stick.

DOA is "okay". It's a fun game to put in when you are looking for a game with a semi even playing field with "noobs". I just find it to be a "button masher" and its combat "sloppy". To me, the characters moves are just "stiff".

My friends hate playing against me in Tekken. So I don't get much play. I'm not as good as I use to be...so they've been a tad easier to persuade recently. Still, I use to go 50 - 0 with them. Now, it rather "even". I just flat out suck.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:39 AM

I'm so bad at Tekken now. I played T3 and Tekken Tag pretty competitively but nowadays, I can hardly even juggle, if at all. I just remember the basic combos and try to slip the opportunity in.

But yeah, DOA = teh suck

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 02-02-2009, 02:45 AM

^I've never been good with juggling. I got my ass handed to me at an arcade a few years ago. Ever since then I've been trying...but my attention to Tekken has been waining. Though, I've recently picked it up again. I'm getting back into the "groove". I just wished the character select screen didn't force you to put a name in, and have "stats". That should be for Online MP only.

Who cares how well you do against the CPU? It's a shame that the stats carry over...which is crap.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:10 AM

I like button mashers and SF style games. VF and Tekken require a level of button press memorization and timing that I don't enjoy.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:41 AM

I pretty much can have fun with any fighting game, but my least favorite is DOA. I also wish I was better at pulling off moves on SF, but I suck. In college, I played Tekken about 3 hours a day with my roommates, but I've lost that skill too.

Shit, seems like all I used to play was fighting games on my PS1. Who would have thought ten years ago that nowadays it would be almost all first person shooters.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbofet View Post
Running errands with the wife and baby yesterday, I saw VF5 at Target on clearance for $14. Couldn't resist.

Anyhow, I am not minding the 360 d-pad on it. Having not played VF since the Dreamcast days, I was surprised at how easily it was to step back in to. I started remembering combos and moves and pulling other random shit out of my ass. I'm loving it.

No real point to my thread other than to say this game seems to suit me much more than Soul Calibur. I picked SCIV up at launch (PS3) and it just sits collecting dust. Haven't had nearly as much fun as I thought I would with it Characters seems hugely unbalanced with some cheap mofos thrown in there - hello Kileak (even though he's my main guy).
Side stepping fucks him up good.

Anyhow, I loved Soul Calibur 4. I loved how you could make your character and pimp them out.

I'm very impatient about Street Fighter 4 release. I can't freaking wait. I've been playing SSF2HD for practice lately.