System cleaning - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-30-2009, 02:27 PM

Default System cleaning

Okay, so I'm a bit curious how everyone cleans their systems. Generally, I just wipe mine down when I notice it's a bit dusty, but I've heard several folks say they vacuum theirs as well.

Are there any sort of precautions to take when vacuuming your system? I'm just worried about effing up any of the little or moveable parts in there and would appreciate some reassurance before I do it.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:36 PM

I vacuum my PC from time to time. I haven't tried it with my consoles...I would think it wouldn't work to well unless you open them up.

Hmm...

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:54 PM

I vacuum mine out about once a week (ps3)..I have 3 dogs, and I smoke - and 9 out of 10 times, all three are in the room when I'm playing..So it can get pretty dusty.

For the ps3, I turn it off..then turn the main back power switch off..then unplug it. I use an attachment on the vacuum hose that has an angle type nozzle and it is about the same size as the vent area underneath the unit...i vacuum the vents along the front bottom (and under the overhang area) of the ps3, along the right hand side bottom, the 4 or 5 small odd looking vents on the left hand side and occasionally the back and side portions that acts as the exhaust area.

I also unplug the controllers, headset unit and any other peripherials and vacuum out the usb ports...On top of that, i flip the lid on the card reader area and vacuum out the sd card areas - although I've never used them and probably never will...Just for the hell of it, I'll press the vacuum nozzle flat up against the disc slot loader and vacuum that as well...

I've been doing this for a year or so, and....I'm sure it has helped some...To what extent, I don't know, but I can clearly see the dust buildup on those front vents when its time to vacuum..I have no idea what the insides look like.

On a side note, I've practically never vacuumed my Yamaha receiver, which I've had for about 4 or 5 years..I've also never turned it off...It has to be swimming in dander and dust from the animals, and it's still going strong...Probably because I never turn it off.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:13 PM

I found it best to take them with you in the shower. It really helps get into those nooks and crannies.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco in HD View Post
I found it best to take them with you in the shower. It really helps get into those nooks and crannies.
Interesting. Can I just use use my power washer instead? I love my PS3, but I don't love my PS3, ya know.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:46 PM

In that scenario, when it's the holidays, you toss it to a relative you don't like so much while they're in the tub/shower. BAM, two birds..one console.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid View Post
I vacuum mine out about once a week (ps3)..I have 3 dogs, and I smoke - and 9 out of 10 times, all three are in the room when I'm playing..So it can get pretty dusty.
Yeachh.. note to self - remember never to accept invite to Analogkid's house
Old 01-30-2009, 04:03 PM

Note to self... bringing both my ferrets to Analogs house could be fun.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco in HD View Post
In that scenario, when it's the holidays, you toss it to a relative you don't like so much while they're in the tub/shower. BAM, two birds..one console.
Cool sounds like something good to do with my broken 360.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasp View Post
Yeachh.. note to self - remember never to accept invite to Analogkid's house
Dude...

I have 3 dogs, 4 parrots, 2 ferrets in my house.