hands on with "halo wars" - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-30-2009, 02:06 PM

Default hands on with "halo wars"

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/review...-halo-wars.ars

sound pretty good
Old 01-30-2009, 03:45 PM

Haha I loved Halo
Old 01-30-2009, 04:14 PM

I originally wasn't even slightly interested in Halo Wars but after watching a friend play Rome Total war on his laptop and renting Sid Meiers Civilization Revolution I am up for RTS games again after a long time (last one I played was Age of Empires 2) so will give this game a rent and most likely will buy it.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:29 PM

The control schemes sound interesting.

It sort of helps knowing that there isn't a Halo Wars PC game that controls better....it just IS what it IS.

The painting and snapping sounds legit though. That's something that is quite different from highlight...you only paint/(select) what you touch. Instead of a broad swipe to highlight.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:29 PM

Must.. Stay away...

I always buy RTS games and never play them.. I'm trying to cut the cycle with Halo Wars, but i'm torn. Ensemble just makes great games, but the fact that it's Halo kind of kills the hype for me.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasl View Post
Must.. Stay away...

I always buy RTS games and never play them.. I'm trying to cut the cycle with Halo Wars, but i'm torn. Ensemble just makes great games, but the fact that it's Halo kind of kills the hype for me.
but boosts it for me.

I'll play the demo on the 5th.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
the fact that it's Halo kind of kills the hype for me.
Do you just not care for the Halo setting and story? The fact that it's an RTS, and not a Bungie game, I'd think means it won't have the normal halo feel to it.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
Do you just not care for the Halo setting and story? The fact that it's an RTS, and not a Bungie game, I'd think means it won't have the normal halo feel to it.
I find Halo to be very generic and average as far as FPS games go. Visually I find the game to be bland, the gameplay (single player) is good but not great, I hate the majority of the weapons, and I find the story/universe to be fairly unappealing. To me Halo is like vanilla ice cream. It's standard run of the mill, and works, but i'd much rather have more flavor in my games. Halo 1 and 3 were like 8's Halo 2 was about a 7 for me. Honestly I wish I liked the series more, Bungie is local and pays better. I'd rather work on something i'm intrested in and excited about though.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:33 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
I find Halo to be very generic and average as far as FPS games go. Visually I find the game to be bland, the gameplay (single player) is good but not great, I hate the majority of the weapons, and I find the story/universe to be fairly unappealing. To me Halo is like vanilla ice cream. It's standard run of the mill, and works, but i'd much rather have more flavor in my games. Halo 1 and 3 were like 8's Halo 2 was about a 7 for me. Honestly I wish I liked the series more, Bungie is local and pays better. I'd rather work on something i'm intrested in and excited about though.
Halo had a pretty impressive story for the time. At least in the console realm. It showed more coherency and thought than the vast majority of FPS games available to console gamers in those days. True, it might not have been a James Cameron-esque epic, but it played with some fun ideas that non-science fiction fans would probably have found very new and exciting. I mean, I was already familiar with the concept of a ring world thanks to SF novels, but it was still a kick to wander around in one. And sure the Flood could be said to just be a bio-mech variant on Daleks, The Borg or even further back, Saberhagen's Berserkers, but they were presented well and were a sufficient enough departure from the Covenant soldiers that it the newness of them and unfamiliarity with their tactics felt threatening.

Obviously games have come since that have surpassed what Halo did back in those days, but by console standards, I still think it rightly deserves the reputation for being something of a landmark in the genre.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Halo had a pretty impressive story for the time. At least in the console realm. It showed more coherency and thought than the vast majority of FPS games available to console gamers in those days. True, it might not have been a James Cameron-esque epic, but it played with some fun ideas that non-science fiction fans would probably have found very new and exciting. I mean, I was already familiar with the concept of a ring world thanks to SF novels, but it was still a kick to wander around in one. And sure the Flood could be said to just be a bio-mech variant on Daleks, The Borg or even further back, Saberhagen's Berserkers, but they were presented well and were a sufficient enough departure from the Covenant soldiers that it the newness of them and unfamiliarity with their tactics felt threatening.

Obviously games have come since that have surpassed what Halo did back in those days, but by console standards, I still think it rightly deserves the reputation for being something of a landmark in the genre.
Depends on where you were playing games. On consoles, I'm not sure. I was doing a lot of PC gaming at that time and when Halo came out, as far as the full FPS spectrum it was a very average experience. In PC FPS gaming DM was an industry standard (unlike consoles), and we'd recently seen some great games pushing things forward including Half-life, Deus Ex, Thief 2, No One Lives Forever and System Shock. <-- (These all came out before Halo)

I played the first one coop with my roommate, had fun (other then the steaming pile of crap Vault part that was the same map copy and pasted 7 times) and forgot about it within weeks.

Asking a PC gamer to be excited about

1) Death match (been there done that since doom)
2) Coop (been there done that since Doom)
3) Space Marines (been there done that since Aliens and Doom)
4) Industry Standard Sci-fi (doze)

Was a hard stretch. Honestly when I played Halo there was only 2 things that stood out for me.

1) The music
2) Some of the imagery of the halo rings ie the stuff in the skybox

I think the other thing that irritates me about the Halo series in general (2 and 3 at least) is the amount of money that was thrown at them, and how none ground breaking they always seem to be.