Section 8 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-26-2009, 02:26 PM

Default Section 8

Trailer
http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/7...er_012009.html

http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox-36.../Section-8/p1/
Quote:
In military terminology, a “Section 8” means you’re crazy. Not fun crazy like your frat brothers, but full on bat-guano crazy…so much so that they have to ship your nutty behind home. In the recently announced Section 8 from TimeGate Studios—the developer best known to PC gaming fans for its Kohan RTS series, and maybe familiar to Xbox 360 owners for F.E.A.R. Files—the term is the nickname for the 8th Armored Infantry, a group of fearless and, some would say, crazy soldiers willing to be dropped behind enemy lines with just the powered, armored suits on their backs.

Yes, Section 8 is a military-themed shooter, set several hundred years in the future, but beyond the powered, armored suits, don’t expect too much craziness in the ways of technology. Ballistic-based weapons still rule the day, and soldiers are still driving tanks and being dropped into the battlefield from the air. But those tanks hover, and the dropping doesn’t involve parachutes. Instead, they rocket to the ground like meteors burning up on reentry into the atmosphere. Technology has advanced so much, but war is still war, and you’re not going to be fighting aliens with crazy magic-like powers.

You’re going to be fighting the Arm of Orion, an enemy faction made of humans whose technology is unique, but on a par with your own. The game’s creators wanted the two factions to feel separate but equal, not just “the red team vs. the blue team.” The game is a first-person shooter, but it has more in common with large-scale multiplayer games than a story-driven type of title. Obvious influences include the Battlefield games, as well as the classic PC shooter Starsiege: Tribes.

More than just a game focused on your individual achievements, Section 8 intends to re-create large-scale battles over large-scale landscapes. Even though the game is more than a year and a half away from release, the running gameplay that was shown to us at publisher Gamecock’s recent EIEIO event—powered by a heavily modified version of the Unreal 3 engine—looked very smooth and the draw distance was really impressive. The developers claim that it’s already in a playable state, and they’re already battling it out around the office with some regularity. One other neat detail about the maps is that they are randomly generated. When you see the detail that’s been put into them, you’ll be impressed by that factoid.

So, the game focuses on massive team-versus-team-style combat, with large capture points being fought over by large numbers of players. How else do the developers foster some awesome team play? For one, vehicles have multiple seats—more than say, a warthog—and each one can have a unique influence over the overall firepower of the ride. There will also be fairly deep character customization, from the choosing of weapons to such accessories as jet packs, shield boosters and other equipment. Tailoring your loadout and working in conjunction with your teammates looks like the keys to victory in Section 8.

Late 2009 is the date that TimeGate is shooting for Section 8’s release. That may be a long time away, but we’re glad we’re hearing about this game so soon. Look to TeamXbox between now and then for any new media and information concerning the game. And try to not go crazy while you wait.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:30 AM

Sounds like my old neighbor hood
Old 01-27-2009, 04:33 AM

ummm nice trailer but no gameplay
Old 01-27-2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter21 View Post
Sounds like my old neighbor hood
Damn it...you beat me to it!

*Looks out window...WAIT!*

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:35 PM

A new challenger appears for worst FPS of 2009!

Will it live up to the pedigree of Legendary, Hour of Victory, and Turning Point?
Old 01-27-2009, 02:31 PM

...or will it attain slightly better reception and join in the halls of the extremely mediocre to just this side of godawful, along with Fracture, Haze and Timeshift?
Old 08-22-2009, 12:52 AM

Demo on XBL.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:49 AM

http://www.gamepro.com/article/revie...section-8-360/
First review in is an 8.0
Old 09-05-2009, 11:12 AM

I am playing Section 8 right now and it is not that great. It reminds me of Halo 3 and I didn't like Halo 3.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:41 PM

I dont care for the Halo games either, but from the demo I played on XBL and from the previews I thought it looked pretty good.