Silent Hill Homecoming = no inverted camera controls = SUCK - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-26-2009, 09:05 AM

Default Silent Hill Homecoming = no inverted camera controls = SUCK

So I finally got Gamefly so I can save some money on games. I figured I would try Silent Hill Homecoming... mistake.

You can invert the gun aim, but not the camera. How retarded is that??? I always invert my controls, so this game sucks total ass for me, as the camera doesn't go where I want it to go and the game won't allow me to make it work right.

The question is this: why would they let you invert the gun aim but not the camera? Do they honestly think that players would want to switch their control scheme entirely for looking when shooting and looking when walking around? A little continuity would be nice here.

Inverting the look is natural to me... pressing the control stick up is like leaning your head down (looking down), whereas pressing it down is like leaning your head back (looking up), so not being able to make the controller work that way makes the game frustrating and unplayable. I tried to play the thing with the non-inverted camera and it is just completely foreign to me, like writing left-handed. I can do it, but it is not natural and I am very slow at it.

So, do not buy or rent Silent Hill Homecoming if you invert your view, as you will be horribly frustrated and will get no enjoyment from the game at all.

Thank you, Gamefly. Thank you for saving me a lot of money on a game that pisses me off.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:19 AM

I guess that would suck for people that like inverted controls... fortunetly I"m not one of those ppl
Old 01-26-2009, 09:28 AM

That does suck, I play everything inverted.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:33 AM
Banned

What about inverted southpaw users? Man trying to play like that is like trying to play drunk.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:05 AM

I'm fine w/ the game's controls so far. About 3 hours into the game or so I'd say so far. But I will say I am disappointed somewhat with the combat (but it never was good in Silent Hill) but mainly disappointed in the graphics. Frankly there's just something very sterile about the graphics and art in this game. Maybe it's cuz it was made by westerners, but nothing feels as gritty or organic as it did in past games. Like the characters don't have the same details, flaws, and facial characteristics they did in previous games (which is ridiculous considering the xtra power these consoles have by comparison).

Like all the characters look like manequinns, instead of the realistic characters from SH 3 and 4 that had freckles, crows feet, good facial bone structure, "weary" eyes, etc. I know that's a dumb description but you know what i mean. These characters seem like glassy generic characters without any of the...well...character of people in the previous games.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:15 PM

You guys should rather pay your doctor a visit instead of putting out such threads. There must be something wrong with you, if you rather do things up-side-down.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:25 PM

I used to play inverted and learned to play with out it. Made my life easier for sure.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasl View Post
I used to play inverted and learned to play with out it. Made my life easier for sure.
I wish that all developers would just include the option to invert.

Inverting the look always made sense to me though. If you had a joystick sticking out the top of your head, you would press forward to look down and pull back to look up... that's how I look at games. I am not sure how it ever became standard to be the opposite.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:38 PM

I don't get why pople would play inverted. If I want to look up, I push the analog up. If I want to look down, I bring it down.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceNine View Post
I wish that all developers would just include the option to invert.

Inverting the look always made sense to me though. If you had a joystick sticking out the top of your head, you would press forward to look down and pull back to look up... that's how I look at games. I am not sure how it ever became standard to be the opposite.
Probably because first person games originated on the PC and you don't use a joystick. You expect the cursor/reticle to go where you move the mouse. The only real exception to this is flight sims, where most people DO use a flight stick.

Oddly enough though, when in mouse look mode, most FP games on a PC do work this way, ie move mouse up to look down etc, but when not in mouselook mode, it works as a standard mouse, move mouse up, cursor goes up. Just like the OP described the options allowing him to do. It sounds odd and I've never given it a 2nd thought before, it just seems more intuitive for the reticle to follow the mouse, up for up down for down, since you're not actually moving your head in the game. Completely different on a console or with a controller though.

So I guess you can blame this one on PC gamers.