Can't say i'd advise buying Far Cry 2. - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-21-2009, 01:44 PM
KTA's Avatar
KTA KTA is offline
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,122
Thumbs down Can't say i'd advise buying Far Cry 2.

Just finished this game last night. The ending was pretty powerful, but not in a good way. Just shows you how shallow the rest of the game was, somewhere there was a great game here that just couldn't convey what it wanted to gamers.

I'll start with the GOOD:

Very pretty, game looks great and it's very expansive, 2 huge maps and it's only 4.7 gigs on the 360

Weapon selection is nice and the shooting mechanics work well enough. Run and gunning and hiding in the jungle is fun. Murdering people with a flame thrower really never gets old.

The BAD:

- 2 HUGE maps with a whole lot of traveling... too much f'ing traveling in fact. You spend a good amount of time pressing select to take your map out and drive will staring at a map... then bam mercs hit you with a gun jeep. They could have easily condensed all this into 1 map with a lot more detail... instead most places are just hollow outposts with no purpose.

- Mercs respawn after like 30 seconds of leaving the area and coming back. It's annoying as hell, I would just murder an entire camp and on my way back from victory strutting my stuff I come upon an outpost I had incinerated just 2 minutes ago only to be bum rushed by a restocked bunch of roast ready mercs. It's annoying, very annoying. It almost makes killing them pointless, I found myself later just trying to either avoid or run by as many out posts as possible.

- Emotional attachment doesn't exist, the refugee's you sorta are supposed to fight for you rarely interact with, so you essentially don't care. The whole friend dynamic is also pretty weak and just isn't involved enough for me to care either. More glorified fetch killing.

- No Co-op, this is weak as hell. This game was perfect for co-op and it doesn't exist. Awful design, you can tell there was a lot of comprimise in this game. Sad to see what could have been.

Overall i'd rate this game a C or if I had to pick a numerical value about a 6.5

Just feels hollow. It has some enjoyment but it's just paced horribly and everything your doing feels meaningless. I expected better.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Snadinator's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 19,563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingtotalass View Post
Just finished this game last night. The ending was pretty powerful, but not in a good way. Just shows you how shallow the rest of the game was, somewhere there was a great game here that just couldn't convey what it wanted to gamers.

I'll start with the GOOD:

Very pretty, game looks great and it's very expansive, 2 huge maps and it's only 4.7 gigs on the 360

Weapon selection is nice and the shooting mechanics work well enough. Run and gunning and hiding in the jungle is fun. Murdering people with a flame thrower really never gets old.

The BAD:

- 2 HUGE maps with a whole lot of traveling... too much f'ing traveling in fact. You spend a good amount of time pressing select to take your map out and drive will staring at a map... then bam mercs hit you with a gun jeep. They could have easily condensed all this into 1 map with a lot more detail... instead most places are just hollow outposts with no purpose.

- Mercs respawn after like 30 seconds of leaving the area and coming back. It's annoying as hell, I would just murder an entire camp and on my way back from victory strutting my stuff I come upon an outpost I had incinerated just 2 minutes ago only to be bum rushed by a restocked bunch of roast ready mercs. It's annoying, very annoying. It almost makes killing them pointless, I found myself later just trying to either avoid or run by as many out posts as possible.

- Emotional attachment doesn't exist, the refugee's you sorta are supposed to fight for you rarely interact with, so you essentially don't care. The whole friend dynamic is also pretty weak and just isn't involved enough for me to care either. More glorified fetch killing.

- No Co-op, this is weak as hell. This game was perfect for co-op and it doesn't exist. Awful design, you can tell there was a lot of comprimise in this game. Sad to see what could have been.

Overall i'd rate this game a C or if I had to pick a numerical value about a 6.5

Just feels hollow. It has some enjoyment but it's just paced horribly and everything your doing feels meaningless. I expected better.

Dude you forgot the fast forward talking and clunky shooting controls.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-21-2009, 01:50 PM
michealo's Avatar
Watcher of stances
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 27,497
Default

i hated FC2.
punished it with an early return trip back to gamefly
__________________
why hate? participate!
Elitist Indifference FTW
xbox live = Wrangl3r / PSN = thummper / wiiU = mm / steam = michealo
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-21-2009, 01:51 PM
Master X's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,285
Default

I hated the first one so I skipped this one.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-21-2009, 01:52 PM
KTA's Avatar
KTA KTA is offline
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
Dude you forgot the fast forward talking and clunky shooting controls.
I didn't mind the controls, what kept me going is the flame thrower. Just walking around at the end area was cool as hell though.

it was done very well.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-21-2009, 01:54 PM
Averry's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,636
Default

....


I was really interested in it from reviews, and Amazon had it for $38 for Xbox one week and I snatched it up...


I haven't opened it yet actually, i've been sitting on it for about 2 months playing other stuff. I'm optimistic about it though.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-21-2009, 02:01 PM
KTA's Avatar
KTA KTA is offline
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averry View Post
....


I was really interested in it from reviews, and Amazon had it for $38 for Xbox one week and I snatched it up...


I haven't opened it yet actually, i've been sitting on it for about 2 months playing other stuff. I'm optimistic about it though.
Well i forgot to mention... travel by boat whenever possible, it makes things much less painful.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-21-2009, 02:03 PM
Snadinator's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 19,563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master X View Post
I hated the first one so I skipped this one.
Instincs on the Xbox and 360 was -not- the first one. That was a total turd compared to the awesomeness of Farcry on the PC.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-21-2009, 02:06 PM
RM's Avatar
RM RM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,402
Default

Have to agree with the crowd. I picked this up on impulse and after playing a bit of it, I wish I had waiting for a used copy @ $30.

This was the game that showed me Ubisoft is a one-trick-pony - they make games with nice graphics, but there's little substance. It seems they figure if they can create about 30-45 minutes worth of mild entertainment and then have you repeat that 20 times or so, they've got a game. Assassin's Creed was that way, and more recently they did it with Prince of Persia. I bought all three of these games thinking the graphics looked great so there must be some decent gameplay to back it up. I was burned all three times, though PoP was the least annoying of the three.

I'm not buying another Ubisoft title at full price for the rest of this gen. I'll likely rent first, but even then I'm going to be harsh on them...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-21-2009, 02:09 PM
Snadinator's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 19,563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
Have to agree with the crowd. I picked this up on impulse and after playing a bit of it, I wish I had waiting for a used copy @ $30.

This was the game that showed me Ubisoft is a one-trick-pony - they make games with nice graphics, but there's little substance. It seems they figure if they can create about 30-45 minutes worth of mild entertainment and then have you repeat that 20 times or so, they've got a game. Assassin's Creed was that way, and more recently they did it with Prince of Persia. I bought all three of these games thinking the graphics looked great so there must be some decent gameplay to back it up. I was burned all three times, though PoP was the least annoying of the three.

I'm not buying another Ubisoft title at full price for the rest of this gen. I'll likely rent first, but even then I'm going to be harsh on them...
I wouldn't generalize all of UBISoft as low talent like that.

The following franchises kick ass:

Splinter Cell
Rainbow Six
Ghost Recon (although the original on the PC is still the best)
Original Prince of Persia (Sands of Time)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon DLC (PC digtial download)... Favelle Video Game Exchange 3 05-06-2013 08:00 PM
can somebody advise the cabels and the connections for my 1st home theatre? vhprao Home Theater Gear 6 09-06-2008 10:24 AM
HELP**Advise on buying the Sony XBR4 or the new Panasonic TH-50PZ800U briankbax Home Theater Gear 30 04-17-2008 12:24 PM
Far Cry 2 confirmed for Xbox 360 and PS3 Master X Game Room 2 01-03-2008 03:47 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off