Can't say i'd advise buying Far Cry 2. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-21-2009, 01:44 PM

Thumbs down Can't say i'd advise buying Far Cry 2.

Just finished this game last night. The ending was pretty powerful, but not in a good way. Just shows you how shallow the rest of the game was, somewhere there was a great game here that just couldn't convey what it wanted to gamers.

I'll start with the GOOD:

Very pretty, game looks great and it's very expansive, 2 huge maps and it's only 4.7 gigs on the 360

Weapon selection is nice and the shooting mechanics work well enough. Run and gunning and hiding in the jungle is fun. Murdering people with a flame thrower really never gets old.

The BAD:

- 2 HUGE maps with a whole lot of traveling... too much f'ing traveling in fact. You spend a good amount of time pressing select to take your map out and drive will staring at a map... then bam mercs hit you with a gun jeep. They could have easily condensed all this into 1 map with a lot more detail... instead most places are just hollow outposts with no purpose.

- Mercs respawn after like 30 seconds of leaving the area and coming back. It's annoying as hell, I would just murder an entire camp and on my way back from victory strutting my stuff I come upon an outpost I had incinerated just 2 minutes ago only to be bum rushed by a restocked bunch of roast ready mercs. It's annoying, very annoying. It almost makes killing them pointless, I found myself later just trying to either avoid or run by as many out posts as possible.

- Emotional attachment doesn't exist, the refugee's you sorta are supposed to fight for you rarely interact with, so you essentially don't care. The whole friend dynamic is also pretty weak and just isn't involved enough for me to care either. More glorified fetch killing.

- No Co-op, this is weak as hell. This game was perfect for co-op and it doesn't exist. Awful design, you can tell there was a lot of comprimise in this game. Sad to see what could have been.

Overall i'd rate this game a C or if I had to pick a numerical value about a 6.5

Just feels hollow. It has some enjoyment but it's just paced horribly and everything your doing feels meaningless. I expected better.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingtotalass View Post
Just finished this game last night. The ending was pretty powerful, but not in a good way. Just shows you how shallow the rest of the game was, somewhere there was a great game here that just couldn't convey what it wanted to gamers.

I'll start with the GOOD:

Very pretty, game looks great and it's very expansive, 2 huge maps and it's only 4.7 gigs on the 360

Weapon selection is nice and the shooting mechanics work well enough. Run and gunning and hiding in the jungle is fun. Murdering people with a flame thrower really never gets old.

The BAD:

- 2 HUGE maps with a whole lot of traveling... too much f'ing traveling in fact. You spend a good amount of time pressing select to take your map out and drive will staring at a map... then bam mercs hit you with a gun jeep. They could have easily condensed all this into 1 map with a lot more detail... instead most places are just hollow outposts with no purpose.

- Mercs respawn after like 30 seconds of leaving the area and coming back. It's annoying as hell, I would just murder an entire camp and on my way back from victory strutting my stuff I come upon an outpost I had incinerated just 2 minutes ago only to be bum rushed by a restocked bunch of roast ready mercs. It's annoying, very annoying. It almost makes killing them pointless, I found myself later just trying to either avoid or run by as many out posts as possible.

- Emotional attachment doesn't exist, the refugee's you sorta are supposed to fight for you rarely interact with, so you essentially don't care. The whole friend dynamic is also pretty weak and just isn't involved enough for me to care either. More glorified fetch killing.

- No Co-op, this is weak as hell. This game was perfect for co-op and it doesn't exist. Awful design, you can tell there was a lot of comprimise in this game. Sad to see what could have been.

Overall i'd rate this game a C or if I had to pick a numerical value about a 6.5

Just feels hollow. It has some enjoyment but it's just paced horribly and everything your doing feels meaningless. I expected better.

Dude you forgot the fast forward talking and clunky shooting controls.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Watcher of stances

i hated FC2.
punished it with an early return trip back to gamefly
Old 01-21-2009, 01:51 PM

I hated the first one so I skipped this one.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
Dude you forgot the fast forward talking and clunky shooting controls.
I didn't mind the controls, what kept me going is the flame thrower. Just walking around at the end area was cool as hell though.

it was done very well.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:54 PM

I was really interested in it from reviews, and Amazon had it for $38 for Xbox one week and I snatched it up...

I haven't opened it yet actually, i've been sitting on it for about 2 months playing other stuff. I'm optimistic about it though.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averry View Post

I was really interested in it from reviews, and Amazon had it for $38 for Xbox one week and I snatched it up...

I haven't opened it yet actually, i've been sitting on it for about 2 months playing other stuff. I'm optimistic about it though.
Well i forgot to mention... travel by boat whenever possible, it makes things much less painful.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master X View Post
I hated the first one so I skipped this one.
Instincs on the Xbox and 360 was -not- the first one. That was a total turd compared to the awesomeness of Farcry on the PC.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:06 PM

Have to agree with the crowd. I picked this up on impulse and after playing a bit of it, I wish I had waiting for a used copy @ $30.

This was the game that showed me Ubisoft is a one-trick-pony - they make games with nice graphics, but there's little substance. It seems they figure if they can create about 30-45 minutes worth of mild entertainment and then have you repeat that 20 times or so, they've got a game. Assassin's Creed was that way, and more recently they did it with Prince of Persia. I bought all three of these games thinking the graphics looked great so there must be some decent gameplay to back it up. I was burned all three times, though PoP was the least annoying of the three.

I'm not buying another Ubisoft title at full price for the rest of this gen. I'll likely rent first, but even then I'm going to be harsh on them...
Old 01-21-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
Have to agree with the crowd. I picked this up on impulse and after playing a bit of it, I wish I had waiting for a used copy @ $30.

This was the game that showed me Ubisoft is a one-trick-pony - they make games with nice graphics, but there's little substance. It seems they figure if they can create about 30-45 minutes worth of mild entertainment and then have you repeat that 20 times or so, they've got a game. Assassin's Creed was that way, and more recently they did it with Prince of Persia. I bought all three of these games thinking the graphics looked great so there must be some decent gameplay to back it up. I was burned all three times, though PoP was the least annoying of the three.

I'm not buying another Ubisoft title at full price for the rest of this gen. I'll likely rent first, but even then I'm going to be harsh on them...
I wouldn't generalize all of UBISoft as low talent like that.

The following franchises kick ass:

Splinter Cell
Rainbow Six
Ghost Recon (although the original on the PC is still the best)
Original Prince of Persia (Sands of Time)