Xenosaga and what not - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-16-2009, 06:39 AM

Default Xenosaga and what not

I've been lurking her for awhile and I think there's some wicked rpg discussion here that I love to read.

Yet Xenosaga is never brought up.

I honestly loved the progression of the story and it really sucked when it was gutted after the first episode. I still played and loved the next two games after the first. I guess I just wish it would have succeeded, so that more games would be developed with a real epic storyline.

I love rpg's because I consider them an interactive book in a sense. And Xenosaga had such potential.

I like the combat in all 3 games but really for me it comes second compared to story and character development whichi I think really hooked me for this series.

I guess I'd just like to hear your thoughs on what went right and what went wrong in this series. It really could have been something special If it was developed as planned.

I just finisted Dragon Quest 8 for instance. Fun game. But I couldn't get immersed in the story. I guess I just couldn't take it seriously or it failed to hook me. It just seemed kiddish to me.

I'm playing Tales of Vesperia right now and hot damn it's fun but there's something missing that I can't really explain. I'm thinking the graphics or animation style is keeping me from taking it seriously.

ty
Old 01-16-2009, 07:14 AM

What went wrong was Namco bending to the will of people who don't even like JRPG's by cutting down the cutscenes. This was especially annoying in the third one because they still had to have all of that dialogue, it was just presented in boring, non-dynamic text-box chats rather than full cinemas. But, the thing that still makes me really angry, even to do this day, is the hatchet-job they did of censoring the third game.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:01 AM

Xenogears >>>>>>>>>> Xenosaga 3 >>>>>>>> Xenosaga 1 >>> Xenosaga 2

I love all of them and usually tell people about them and put them in my favorite JRPG list.

Xeno3 should've gotten RPG of the year and not FFXII.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maley View Post
Xenogears >>>>>>>>>> Xenosaga 3 >>>>>>>> Xenosaga 1 >>> Xenosaga 2

I love all of them and usually tell people about them and put them in my favorite JRPG list.

Xeno3 should've gotten RPG of the year and not FFXII.
This is the excate reason we dont talk about Xenosaga. They dont even remotely compared to Xenogears. :P
Old 01-16-2009, 12:06 PM

Xenosaga II's battle system was just too painful. But XS I and III have decent battle systems and awesome storytelling (I more than III, but still). Definitely nothing special gameplay-wise, but very good games. FF XII is much better than any of the three by far, being more well-rounded and replayable, but it's not like there's really much of a comparison between the two.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
This is the excate reason we dont talk about Xenosaga. They dont even remotely compared to Xenogears. :P
True but saga did have some awesome cutscenes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhimb...eature=related
Old 01-16-2009, 04:03 PM
HDD Contributor

I liked Xenosaga. I thought there was a lot of crazy stuff going on in the series, and in particular I was surprised by the number of philosophical and Judeo-Christian references that abounded throughout the entire series. The series wasn't as tightly bound to its themes the way Bioshock was with Objectivism, but it was pretty blunt with the Existentialism on occasion, which (and I do stress that it was blunt, like a hammer whacking away at a pizza) was surprising when it did come up, particularly for a game.

My only real regret with the series is that the creators left it, due, I assume to creative differences with Namco. As a result Xenosaga III was essentially a patchwork construction from the "notes" and design documents they'd left behind, and was also compilation of the ideas that were supposed to comprise episodes III, IV, V, and VI, since the series was originally envisioned as a six episode franchise that was suppose to sprawl across multiple consoles. In that sense, Xenosaga I is, to me, the series in its purest form, and still carries a lot of the hallmarks of Xenogears, but unlike that flawed game, managed to get all the ideas it wanted to properly presented, because it was working under the assumption that it had five more games to work this stuff out.

It's doubtful we'll see anything that experimental in terms of theme and plot in the current generation of console JRPGs, they seem to be playing it pretty safe nowadays.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingtotalass View Post
True but saga did have some awesome cutscenes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhimb...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrvqQVS_Z-M < just skip to 8 minutes into it. Xenogears had real cutscenes.

IN GAME GRAPHICS CUT SCENES ARE SHIT.

USE VIDEOS PEOPLE
Old 01-17-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrvqQVS_Z-M < just skip to 8 minutes into it. Xenogears had real cutscenes.

IN GAME GRAPHICS CUT SCENES ARE SHIT.

USE VIDEOS PEOPLE
I actually prefer in-game graphics cut scenes, personally. I think there is a seamlessness to them that keeps the player immersed in the game. When I think of CGI cut scenes, I think back to (the horrid, IMO) FF VII. I was playing a game with 3d characters on a 2d background then all of a sudden it switches to a CGI cut scene where I look at the characters and say, "who the *&%# is THAT?" It ripped me right out of the game and made it feel disjointed.

Even if they may not look as pretty, I always prefer cut scenes done in-game.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDevilMan View Post
(the horrid, IMO) FF VII.
Get the fuck out of here.

Anyway, yes, CGI cutscenes can be less than immersive. On the other hand, they are AWESOME. So, it balances out. In this generation, it should be possible to do near-CGI cutscenes in-engine, anyway.