Persona 5 may be on PS2 or PS3 or Multi-platform - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-15-2009, 10:36 AM

Default Persona 5 may be on PS2 or PS3 or Multi-platform

The article actually says "Persona 5 not set in stone for PS3" to me that basically means it may Atlus may go multi-platform, but reading the article it seems it may be on PS2, who knows. When it comes out, I'll be getting it with out hesitation! This whole article is pretty much speculation so take it with a grain of salt. But I thought you persona fans might be interested

Source

Quote:
When Atlus USA was asked in December 2008 about their plans for the Persona series in 2009, they ignored Siliconera’s question, but indirectly hint they’ll continue publishing PS2 games. To quote Atlus’ Aram Jabbari: “*glances at the clock* Oh gosh, look at the time, we’ve really gotta skiddoo. *pushes the production staff toward the door* Thanks again, Spencer, always fun gabbin’ with you! Take care now. All the best!”

So while they choose to avoid such questions, in a more productive recent Play Magazine interview with Atlus Japan’s Katsura Hashino — the Director & Producer on Persona 4 — answered questions about Persona 5 and the series as a whole…

Question: P4 takes place two years after P3, and the anime Persona Trinity Soul ten years later. Will you stay with a cohesive world and timeline for the Persona series from now on?
Answer: “I don’t have any really strong feelings about it. As far as future titles, there are no plans at this point.”

Question: Can we expect a FES-like P4 expansion?
Answer: “We have no plans for that at this time.”

Question: We have to ask: Persona 5, next gen?
Answer: “Nothing’s set in stone. We are currently looking into many different things.”

In fact, I’d go as far as to say that Persona 5 is more likely to be coming to PS2 than PS3 if it gets released in the near-future (Persona 4 took only 17 months to develop). Why? Because Persona 4 has sold almost half a million copies worldwide (480,000+) since its PS2-exclusive release, making it the best-selling game in the Megami Tensei series so far. Good news for any developer, let alone one who makes as many niche titles as Atlus does.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:44 AM

I could see them going multi-platform on this title, but I'm not sure it would sell equally well on all platforms.

I think the newer generation consoles would probably be the most lackluster in sales of the game.

Really, if they were smart they would do a PS2/WII release - that would probably easily net them over a 1 million in sales on the both consoles combined providing it's as good a the last two. I'm just not confident that the titles would do over 100k on the 360/PS3, and would warrent the development costs on those consoles. Atlus has yet to do a PS3 game, so I'm not sure how familiar with it they are. They have ported a couple 360 games, but that doesn't really mean they're ready to develop nativley for it.

I guess we'll see, I think if they released on all 4 consoles, they could easily pull in 1.5-2 million in sales. The tiles have become very popular and well known for quality.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
I could see them going multi-platform on this title, but I'm not sure it would sell equally well on all platforms.

I think the newer generation consoles would probably be the most lackluster in sales of the game.

Really, if they were smart they would do a PS2/WII release - that would probably easily net them over a 1 million in sales on the both consoles combined providing it's as good a the last two. I'm just not confident that the titles would do over 100k on the 360/PS3, and would warrent the development costs on those consoles. Atlus has yet to do a PS3 game, so I'm not sure how familiar with it they are. They have ported a couple 360 games, but that doesn't really mean they're ready to develop nativley for it.

I guess we'll see, I think if they released on all 4 consoles, they could easily pull in 1.5-2 million in sales. The tiles have become very popular and well known for quality.
I disagree, I think they can do easily do 100k on the PS3 worldwide especially in Japan, but I think the development cost on the PS3 will exceed what they're financially capable of, which would ultimately cause them to go multi-plat, unless of course Sony pays them, but from what I've seen this gen is, Microsoft is more willing to pay than Sony is.

So who knows.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:

As much as I love Persona, it's still a niche game that only hits around half a million in sales. Even multiplat I doubt it would crack 1 million in sales.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:

LOL, Persona would sell like 50,000 on Wii, max.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:56 PM

Multiplatform? No. Persona on Xbox doesn't sell. Persona on Wii? Likely.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:11 AM

Persona 5 on a 360 would make me re-purchase one of those things. Then again after I beat it I'd likely just Ebay the system and keep the game.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_aka_Rex View Post
Multiplatform? No. Persona on Xbox doesn't sell. Persona on Wii? Likely.
dunno look at the audience... one has a casual crowd, one hardcore. good chance all 3 are being considered. As much love as atlus has given the 360 thus far i'd say a 360 version is likely.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingtotalass View Post
dunno look at the audience... one has a casual crowd, one hardcore. good chance all 3 are being considered. As much love as atlus has given the 360 thus far i'd say a 360 version is likely.
Atlus has given the 360, what? 3 titles, 1 of which was a port, and the other 2 were low-budget SRPGs.

P5 isn't going to a console with a terrible install-base in Japan.

PS3 or Wii... hell I'd even say DS or PSP. It isn't happening on 360. Sales of Operation Darkness and their Zoids game are enough for them to ignore the console.

It's financial suicide to put a Persona game, which generally doesn't sell well enough on western shores (compared to mainstream JRPGs) on a console with an install-base that has so far ignored practically all of its JRPGs, and has very little presence in Japan.

Beyond a pay off from MS, there isn't much to warrant a Persona sequel on the 360.

I see one on the Wii, DS or PSP because of the JP install-base alone. PS3 I could see if Atlus seriously wants to tackle next-gen consoles (instead of porting PS2 games and up-rezzing them).
Old 01-16-2009, 04:01 AM

I would pay $60 for Persona 5 on PS3 if it was 720p or 1080p native. If it was upconverted no fucking way I would pay that much.
I want this game next gen. at 720p or 1080p native so I can cream my pants the first time I look at it in HD.
You'll note I never say I'm willing to pay $60 for most next gen. games, if any. This one series of games is definitely an exception for the first one but only if it's native 720p or 1080p. I'd also like Lossless sound as well.
Oh and where the fuck was Microsoft pushing Atlus to release SMTIX here when it came out in Japan? That's what I thought.