PS3/Computer Question - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-14-2009, 12:07 AM

Default PS3/Computer Question

Earlier tonight I got to thinking about how my PS3 and my computer go through the same router to get internet. I was wondering if I could access the PS3 through my computer the same way you could access another computer on a network?
Old 01-14-2009, 08:09 AM

i am not sure if you can share content form your PS3 to your computer but you can certainly share content from your computer to your PS3 through a media server. Windows Media Player can act as one giving you the ability to stream video, audio and image files stored in your PC to your PS3.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:21 AM

I'm guessing you're doing this from a windows home network (or trying to) ? I'd have to say no - The PS3 is on your network, but my guess is that it's entirely a foreign entity to your windows box, and windows doesn't know how to take what it sees as your PS3 and engineer it into it's interface for communicating with other PCs (i can't speak for linux, but i'd guess its the same situation, unless maybe you had linux on the PS3).

That's my guess anyways.

EP is right about going from PC > PS3 via a media server, which is a good idea if you want that all-in-one thing going. I used to try the Windows Media Player to enable this but it was spotty.

I haven't tried any of the recent 3rd party apps to let you do this, but about 2 years ago, RedKawa just wouldn't work for me (Maybe they've made improvements).

If you do find a way to get a PC to see a PS3 via the local network, please let me know, cus that would be an interesting thing to play with.