So-called Halo 3 killer convicted of murdering mom - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-13-2009, 10:52 PM

Default So-called Halo 3 killer convicted of murdering mom

Most often, the media takes great pains to tie games to crime. Robberies of game retailers are given sensational treatment by local news outlets, while larceny involving other forms of entertainment--televisions, music players, and so on--are dismissed as routine. Often, even gruesome crimes are exploited if they have a game angle, as were the so-called "Xbox Murders" in 2004, when four Floridians were brutally slain by an ex-con who wanted to retrieve his console. (If he had wanted to get his toaster back, would it have been called the "Toaster Murders"?)

Unfortunately, though, sometimes games are central to a heinous crime. That was the case in October 2007, when then-16-year-old Daniel Petric (pictured) fatally shot his mother because she was limiting his Halo 3 playing time. Defense attorneys claimed the teenager was "obsessed" with the sci-fi shooter, growing irrational and aggressive when he could not play it. After being cut off by his parents, he retrieved his father's 9mm pistol and shot both of them, killing his mother and leaving his father with a major headwound. (The father survived, forgave his son, and even came to court to support him.) The younger Petric then went on the run, taking his copy of Halo 3 with him.

According to the Associated Press, Petric's lawyers argued that, after being psychically incapacitated for months following an injury, he was suffering from a full-blown addiction to Halo 3 and asked that he be ruled not guilty by reason of insanity. Today, though, an Ohio judge ruled that the juvenile was guilty of murder, even though he agreed that the youth was mentally unbalanced.

"I firmly believe that Daniel Petric had no idea at the time he hatched this plot that if he killed his parents they would be dead forever," Lorain County Common Pleas Judge James Burge said in his ruling, according to the AP. However, evidence that Petric planned the murder for weeks led Burge to convict him in the non-jury-based proceedings. The judge will levy a sentence, potentially as severe as life imprisonment, at a later date.

For its part, Halo 3 publisher Microsoft gave a brief statement to the AP, saying only, "We are aware of the situation and it is a tragic case."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/blogs/s...ering-mom.html
Old 01-14-2009, 12:46 AM
Banned

The sad part, is this is pretty typical amongst Halo 3 players.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastGenius View Post

Killing their parents is typical of Halo players?
Old 01-14-2009, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastGenius View Post
that is such a ridiculous statement I hope you are joking. And if you are, it is sad that you would joke about a parent being murdered in cold blood.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:53 AM

The thing you have to always remember about TheLastGenius is that he is almost NEVER serious, yet positively NEVER funny. It's a sad, contradictory state of affairs.

The easiest solution is to just ignore him altogether.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:57 AM

What I really can't understand: How his father could forgive him for what he's done.

If I was the father I'd delivered him straight to jail or even shot this bastard myself (yeah, I'm serious here. If someone killed my wife, even if it was my own, delusional disordered son, I'd kill him).
Old 01-14-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyramidHead80 View Post
Most often, the media takes great pains to tie games to crime. Robberies of game retailers are given sensational treatment by local news outlets, while larceny involving other forms of entertainment--televisions, music players, and so on--are dismissed as routine. Often, even gruesome crimes are exploited if they have a game angle, as were the so-called "Xbox Murders" in 2004, when four Floridians were brutally slain by an ex-con who wanted to retrieve his console. (If he had wanted to get his toaster back, would it have been called the "Toaster Murders"?)

Unfortunately, though, sometimes games are central to a heinous crime. That was the case in October 2007, when then-16-year-old Daniel Petric (pictured) fatally shot his mother because she was limiting his Halo 3 playing time. Defense attorneys claimed the teenager was "obsessed" with the sci-fi shooter, growing irrational and aggressive when he could not play it. After being cut off by his parents, he retrieved his father's 9mm pistol and shot both of them, killing his mother and leaving his father with a major headwound. (The father survived, forgave his son, and even came to court to support him.) The younger Petric then went on the run, taking his copy of Halo 3 with him.

According to the Associated Press, Petric's lawyers argued that, after being psychically incapacitated for months following an injury, he was suffering from a full-blown addiction to Halo 3 and asked that he be ruled not guilty by reason of insanity. Today, though, an Ohio judge ruled that the juvenile was guilty of murder, even though he agreed that the youth was mentally unbalanced.

"I firmly believe that Daniel Petric had no idea at the time he hatched this plot that if he killed his parents they would be dead forever," Lorain County Common Pleas Judge James Burge said in his ruling, according to the AP. However, evidence that Petric planned the murder for weeks led Burge to convict him in the non-jury-based proceedings. The judge will levy a sentence, potentially as severe as life imprisonment, at a later date.

For its part, Halo 3 publisher Microsoft gave a brief statement to the AP, saying only, "We are aware of the situation and it is a tragic case."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/blogs/s...ering-mom.html
My question is, why so many similar occasions in the US?

There must be something wrong not with videogames themselves, but with the social and psychological state of the kids in the US.

There is something that makes youngsters in the US become problematic because such occasions seem to be rarer in other developed countries.

This can be social abortion, educational issues, lack of communication with parents, conflict with the outside world, depression, psychological and insecurity issues etc. All these lead to an unstable mentality where a youngster may not think clearly and so commit murder or suicide he would never think about committing under different conditions.

There could be issues with the social environment that are too severe for the American youth to deal with.

If children expirience too much stress and pain in the outside world and at home, then digital entertainment in home is their only way out of these feelings. But isolation is always experienced no matter what. Insecurity and lack of recognition cause mental issues and even depression. When these are mixed with an obsession with consoles, movies, computers or anything of the likes since these are their only way out of their problems they are a source of aggression when they are taken away from them.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergo-Proxy View Post

There must be something wrong not with videogames themselves, but with the social and psychological state of the kids in the US.
People's behavior often makes no sense. Watching the news is a depressing affair that doesn't exactly shock me but it baffles me because of the ease with which certain people resort to extreme violence for literally the dumbest reasons.

That is not isolated in the US but what makes things worse there IMO is the abundance of weapons that enable the most heinous and irrational of crimes. Once you pull the trigger there's no going back. If his father didn't have a gun in the house what would that kid have done? In most cases he 'd probably curse or something, I doubt he 'd take a kitchen knife and butcher his mom.

Other factors specific to the US could be at play but I really have no idea. But the abundance of weapons (as everyone's constitutional right no less) in a developed country is something I can't wrap my head around.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergo-Proxy View Post

There is something that makes youngsters in the US become problematic because such occasions seem to be rarer in other developed countries.

This can be social abortion, educational issues, lack of communication with parents, conflict with the outside world, depression, psychological and insecurity issues etc. All these lead to an unstable mentality where a youngster may not think clearly and so commit murder or suicide he would never think about committing under different conditions.

There could be issues with the social environment that are too severe for the American youth to deal with.

If children expirience too much stress and pain in the outside world and at home, then digital entertainment in home is their only way out of these feelings. But isolation is always experienced no matter what. Insecurity and lack of recognition cause mental issues and even depression. When these are mixed with an obsession with consoles, movies, computers or anything of the likes since these are their only way out of their problems they are a source of aggression when they are taken away from them.
It isn't just a US thing. Mentally unstable people are everywhere.

http://clanbase.ggl.com/news.php?nid=295663&Source=rss

Quote:
The Thai government has banned the entire Grand Theft Auto series after the fatal stabbing of a taxi driver.

On Saturday a taxi driver was fatally stabbed in Thailand after a teenager, by his own admission robbed his taxi in an attempt to emulate a scene from the Grand Theft Auto series.

According to police, the 19 year said that 'he wanted to find out if it was as easy in real life to rob a taxi as it was in the game'.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggumsmax View Post

According to police, the 19 year said that 'he wanted to find out if it was as easy in real life to rob a taxi as it was in the game'.

http://clanbase.ggl.com/news.php?nid=295663&Source=rss
I 'll take my dualshock one of these days and press triangle standing next to a taxi to see what happens.