Anyone Else Use Their PS3 To Help Cure Cancer? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-10-2009, 12:07 PM

Default Anyone Else Use Their PS3 To Help Cure Cancer?

Anyone else Fold in here? Just curious - hope this leads to good things one day...They have published papers on the breakthroughs that have come from the Folding project.

If you do Fold - publish your last stats..Lets see where you are at and who you fold with!

*I'd publish mine - but the damn stat page is down for an update..Going from memory, I think I've got about 550 or so work units, Fold for Playstation.com and in the top 200 or so of the entire group.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:18 PM

What exactly does fold do?
Ive always ignored mine
Old 01-10-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryoTheSailor View Post
What exactly does fold do?
Ive always ignored mine
It essentially links your ps3 up with millions of other ps3's and home pc's. It is called a distributed computing project..A distributed computing project can accomplish far, far more tasks than single computers - it basically acts as one of the largest supercomputers in the world. There is no worry of some sort of backdoor entrance to your computer or ps3 running these programs.

There are multiple distributed computing projects around the world - but the PS3 Folding at Home project is run by Stanford University and concentrates solely on human protein synthesis - when protein does not fold correctly in the human body, there can be many serious problems that will occur...Things like Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes are caused from protein misfolding.

It's fairly complicated to a layman like me - but essentially you are sent packets of protein to fold, your ps3 folds the proteins, and sends the information back to Stanford University. Using the results, they can see when, or why, or how a protein misfolds - with enough of this knowledge, it could perhaps lead to potential advances in medicine.

A few links from the Stanford project that may help you understand better than what I could tell you...Also - alot of the information I mentioned above was culled from the Folding at Home project page.

Specific PS3 related Folding information and FAQ - http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-PS3#ntoc6

Main Folding info page - http://folding.stanford.edu/

Awards the project has won - http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Awards

And results that the project has already achieved - http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Papers

Keep in mind - Folding can also be done on your home or work computers too. I fold on my PS3 and my home computer.

There are different groups you can join to fold with - it will keep your stats and shows what place you are within that group.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:45 PM

Interesting.

I didn't know it was used for anything other than Alzheimer.

I wonder if they could also cure Crohns Disease this way.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Banned

nope..........
Old 01-10-2009, 12:50 PM

I'm not sure - I went to the Folding forums to see if there was anything on Crohns mentioned on there - but nothing came up with a search. Granted - the forums are mostly technical in regards to the application and not so much on individual diseases. Also - I don't know if this would ever lead to a cure - by itself - but it could play a very important part in the puzzle..
Old 01-10-2009, 12:53 PM

BTW: Do "folders" still get those nice goodies, Sony was talking about last year?

If so, I might bite, else it's just too expensive.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:58 PM

As far as I know - no goodies have been announced. If so - I've been sorely overlooked. As for it being expensive - it uses around 200 watts for the orignal 80 I believe..115 watts for the 40?

I'm not one to say if it would be to expensive in your case or not - everyone has their own budgets, obviously...But alot of people join a group to fold with and all the members will fold one night a week...So it's not something you have to constantly do in order to help with the results.

To add - if you have ripped any cd's or music to your ps3. you can listen to them while you fold. I have around 40 hours of music on my PS3 - and, especially on the weekends, I'll have the ps3 folding while it plays my music and I'm doing stuff around the house.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:22 PM

Yeah I fold, mostly since we got life with playstation - it's kind of a fun thing to just leave on and a play music. I'm not a great folder though - probably around a dozen to two dozen units completed. But hey, I'm doing my part!

It's also, according to my limited understanding, true that because of the ps3's architecture, it's better at folding than most peoples beefed up gaming pc's. So our pc guys (of which I'm one) can chew on that for a bit
Old 01-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Banned

I dunno, sounds sort of like Skynet to me guys. You think your doing a good thing helping caner and all, but in reality your designing chips for robots and bad shit like that. Its gonna come back to haunt us.