Rumor: Aliens Colonial Marines In Q1 09 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-07-2009, 04:18 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Rumor: Aliens Colonial Marines In Q1 09

I know Vsions probably can't comment on this, but heck, I'm going to throw it in there since it's an 80's action science fiction move which, by default, means I must love it.

SOURCE

Quote:
No, we don't believe it either, but at least Sega has confirmed that the nebulous development of Gearbox's Aliens: Colonial Marines is still ongoing. According to a release list issued to UK site VideoGamer.com, Sega currently has the xenophobic first-person shooter pinned to the first quarter of its 2009 release calendar -- though the article questions whether said calendar is Gregorian or fiscal.

Joining Colonial Marines in the Q1 '09 release window is Obsidian's Bauer-esque spy RPG, Alpha Protocol. We've contacted Sega of America to clarify these dates and confirm the other titles on the list, including House of the Dead: Overkill (February), Sonic and the Black Knight (March) and Bayonetta (a vague "2009").
I've got my fingers crossed. It would be nice to have this come out soon, but having heard so little about the current phase of development, I don't know whether this is all that likely.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
I know Vsions probably can't comment on this, but heck, I'm going to throw it in there since it's an 80's action science fiction move which, by default, means I must love it.

SOURCE

I've got my fingers crossed. It would be nice to have this come out soon, but having heard so little about the current phase of development, I don't know whether this is all that likely.
I found this news intresting considering they laid off most of the team recently, and last I heard there was no one actually working on the title anymore.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:45 PM

Thank God I was afraid this was going to get canned, I've been waiting for a decent Alien based game since Alien Vs Predator 2 for PC. I hope this has a Left 4 Dead feel to it!
Old 01-07-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasl View Post
I found this news intresting considering they laid off most of the team recently, and last I heard there was no one actually working on the title anymore.
Not true, Gearbox is still developing the title but I wouldnt hold my breath. Head guy at gearbox says the game is on but sega has been saying its off until this tidbit so it could be a positive sign. As far as it being worked on, its def still in production.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:10 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsions View Post
Not true, Gearbox is still developing the title but I wouldnt hold my breath. Head guy at gearbox says the game is on but sega has been saying its off until this tidbit so it could be a positive sign. As far as it being worked on, its def still in production.
Dude, when and if this game comes out, we're totally playing together so you can yell at me for panicking when it comes time to seal the doors with the blowtorch and I end up blowing it open with a grenade instead.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Dude, when and if this game comes out, we're totally playing together so you can yell at me for panicking when it comes time to seal the doors with the blowtorch and I end up blowing it open with a grenade instead.
Man that would be so awesome, but seriously there is this one mode in multiplayer that is freaking awesome. I want to tell u guys soooooo bad because its badass.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsions View Post
That would contradict what I had heard from employees of the company then.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
maybe, I will ask again since I last heard about the project about two months ago. We deal with gearbox regularly but its usually different teams. We finished our work on it sometime ago. I will let you guys know what I find out hopefully though you are wrong and I am right
Old 01-07-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Looks like you are right so far. The game was supposedly put on hold. I hope it doesnt get canned... Seems like even the other teams dont know too much either or wont say..
Old 01-07-2009, 06:21 PM
HDD Contributor

Not sure what's going on, but now IGN has also picked up the story with additional information.

SOURCE

Quote:
January 7, 2009 - Gearbox Software has revealed that Aliens: Colonial Marines, its highly-anticipated shooter, is on track for a first quarter 2009 release. This word comes roughly a month and a half after Gearbox president Randy Pitchford denied the rumor that the game had been cancelled.

Regarding the game's reported "halted" development, "Aliens isn't canned," Pitchford said back in November. Late last year, Gearbox laid off several employees. Some news publications estimated that 15 to 25 employees were let go. Gearbox's most notable, recent release was Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway. The WWII shooter was met with lower-than-expected sales.

According to videogamer.com, even though Gearbox confirmed a Q1 2009 release period, the company is not ready to announce the exact release date for Aliens: Colonial Marines.