Valkyria Chronicles getting budget re-release in Japan - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-04-2009, 01:31 AM
james's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 18,135
Default Valkyria Chronicles getting budget re-release in Japan

Quote:
I can't stress it enough: Valkyria Chronicles is THE most under-appreciated PS3 game of the year. It's a great game, so it's definitely a shame that it didn't even do that well in its country of origin.

Personally, I think it just got lost in the shuffle due to the big games that came out at the tail-end of 2008. I've heard and read of a lot of people that have put the blame on Sega and Sony's lack of support, however, and it looks like the both companies are finally taking notice.

RPGFan reports that Valkyria Chronicles is slated to get a budget version in Japan this March. The game's PlayStation 3 "the Best" re-release will go on sale March 5th for 3,990 yen (US$ 43.78). Aside from the price cut, the re-release will also include the Edie Nelson mission, which is currently only available for download in Japan.

It's definitely a move made to entice audiences into buying up more copies of the game. It may even work, especially with the anime series that the game will be getting this year. Now if only Sega and Sony could come up with something like this for those of us outside Japan...
I applaud Sony and Sega for not abandoning this game. I agree it's probably one of the most under-appreciated gems currently on the PS3. I sincerely hope word of mouth on how great this game is helps to elevate sales.

http://www.qj.net/Valkyria-Chronicle.../49/aid/127669
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-04-2009, 01:51 AM
Onslaught X's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 37,577
Default

I don't think any PS3: The Best Titles have ever re-charted but one can hope that it accumulates slow but steady sales for many months to come.
__________________
Don't Reach, Young Blood

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-04-2009, 02:30 AM
Slayerfaith1982's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,161
Default

Good to hear jrpgs are getting some back-end support on these next-gen consoles. I just beat Last Remnant on 360 and while it was satisfying, I feel these next gen consoles in general have just dropped the ball on AAA-jrpg titles it seems. The closest so far would be Lost Odyssey in my experience, but this game definately looks good
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-04-2009, 03:46 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,197
Default

VC is getting an anime series too. Game sold ok in Japan anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-04-2009, 12:31 PM
twonunpackmule's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 32,843
Default

Good job Sony and Sega!!!

I hope this helps. It's a good game.
__________________
PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-04-2009, 01:53 PM
james's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 18,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
I don't think any PS3: The Best Titles have ever re-charted but one can hope that it accumulates slow but steady sales for many months to come.
Yep, I don't think anyone could realistically expect a miraculous sales recovery, but hopefully it starts to sell better.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Snadinator's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 19,563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerfaith1982 View Post
Good to hear jrpgs are getting some back-end support on these next-gen consoles. I just beat Last Remnant on 360 and while it was satisfying, I feel these next gen consoles in general have just dropped the ball on AAA-jrpg titles it seems. The closest so far would be Lost Odyssey in my experience, but this game definately looks good
You haven't even played Tales of Vesperia yet. Which is by far the best jRPG this gen.

I can't really consider Valkyria Chronicles a JRPG. It's much more a turn based strategy game. There is very little roleplaying at all.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-04-2009, 07:46 PM
murphjp's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
You haven't even played Tales of Vesperia yet. Which is by far the best jRPG this gen.

I can't really consider Valkyria Chronicles a JRPG. It's much more a turn based strategy game. There is very little roleplaying at all.
There is very little "roleplaying" in most RPG's. Sicne they only give you one possible way to complete tasks. WRPG's have much better "roleplaying" elements. Ie fallout 3/ KoToR you can be good or evil depending on your mood. And decisions you make will change how the game treats you. JRPG's are mostly about leveling characters and that isn't "roleplaying" that is grinding.

So I disagree with you and I say VC is a classic S-JRPG.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerfaith1982 View Post
Good to hear jrpgs are getting some back-end support on these next-gen consoles. I just beat Last Remnant on 360 and while it was satisfying, I feel these next gen consoles in general have just dropped the ball on AAA-jrpg titles it seems. The closest so far would be Lost Odyssey in my experience, but this game definately looks good
Tales of Vesperia gets alot closer than LO. In fact it is an amazing AAA jrpg
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-04-2009, 07:51 PM
james's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 18,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphjp View Post
There is very little "roleplaying" in most RPG's. Sicne they only give you one possible way to complete tasks. WRPG's have much better "roleplaying" elements. Ie fallout 3/ KoToR you can be good or evil depending on your mood. And decisions you make will change how the game treats you. JRPG's are mostly about leveling characters and that isn't "roleplaying" that is grinding.

So I disagree with you and I say VC is a classic S-JRPG.
I completely agree with you. JRPG's are most defined by the story, which I think VC does brilliantly.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Valkyria Revolution, the true sequel to the classic Valkyria Chronicles! RedRedSuit Game Room 17 11-27-2017 03:50 PM
Valkyria Chronicles demo Master X Game Room 0 10-08-2008 02:19 PM
Valkyria Chronicles, Saints Row 2, Naruto BB, Resistance 2,Tomb Raider, gameplay Master X Game Room 20 10-05-2008 07:26 PM
Valkyria Chronicles Demo Storms Europe Next Week maley Game Room 3 09-30-2008 12:22 PM
Valkyria Chronicles offers optional hard disk install gamerforlife Gaming Smackdown 6 04-14-2008 08:56 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off