Valkyria Chronicles getting budget re-release in Japan - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-04-2009, 01:31 AM

Default Valkyria Chronicles getting budget re-release in Japan

Quote:
I can't stress it enough: Valkyria Chronicles is THE most under-appreciated PS3 game of the year. It's a great game, so it's definitely a shame that it didn't even do that well in its country of origin.

Personally, I think it just got lost in the shuffle due to the big games that came out at the tail-end of 2008. I've heard and read of a lot of people that have put the blame on Sega and Sony's lack of support, however, and it looks like the both companies are finally taking notice.

RPGFan reports that Valkyria Chronicles is slated to get a budget version in Japan this March. The game's PlayStation 3 "the Best" re-release will go on sale March 5th for 3,990 yen (US$ 43.78). Aside from the price cut, the re-release will also include the Edie Nelson mission, which is currently only available for download in Japan.

It's definitely a move made to entice audiences into buying up more copies of the game. It may even work, especially with the anime series that the game will be getting this year. Now if only Sega and Sony could come up with something like this for those of us outside Japan...
I applaud Sony and Sega for not abandoning this game. I agree it's probably one of the most under-appreciated gems currently on the PS3. I sincerely hope word of mouth on how great this game is helps to elevate sales.

http://www.qj.net/Valkyria-Chronicle.../49/aid/127669
Old 01-04-2009, 01:51 AM

I don't think any PS3: The Best Titles have ever re-charted but one can hope that it accumulates slow but steady sales for many months to come.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 01-04-2009, 02:30 AM

Good to hear jrpgs are getting some back-end support on these next-gen consoles. I just beat Last Remnant on 360 and while it was satisfying, I feel these next gen consoles in general have just dropped the ball on AAA-jrpg titles it seems. The closest so far would be Lost Odyssey in my experience, but this game definately looks good
Old 01-04-2009, 03:46 AM
Banned

VC is getting an anime series too. Game sold ok in Japan anyway.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:31 PM

Good job Sony and Sega!!!

I hope this helps. It's a good game.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
I don't think any PS3: The Best Titles have ever re-charted but one can hope that it accumulates slow but steady sales for many months to come.
Yep, I don't think anyone could realistically expect a miraculous sales recovery, but hopefully it starts to sell better.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerfaith1982 View Post
Good to hear jrpgs are getting some back-end support on these next-gen consoles. I just beat Last Remnant on 360 and while it was satisfying, I feel these next gen consoles in general have just dropped the ball on AAA-jrpg titles it seems. The closest so far would be Lost Odyssey in my experience, but this game definately looks good
You haven't even played Tales of Vesperia yet. Which is by far the best jRPG this gen.

I can't really consider Valkyria Chronicles a JRPG. It's much more a turn based strategy game. There is very little roleplaying at all.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
You haven't even played Tales of Vesperia yet. Which is by far the best jRPG this gen.

I can't really consider Valkyria Chronicles a JRPG. It's much more a turn based strategy game. There is very little roleplaying at all.
There is very little "roleplaying" in most RPG's. Sicne they only give you one possible way to complete tasks. WRPG's have much better "roleplaying" elements. Ie fallout 3/ KoToR you can be good or evil depending on your mood. And decisions you make will change how the game treats you. JRPG's are mostly about leveling characters and that isn't "roleplaying" that is grinding.

So I disagree with you and I say VC is a classic S-JRPG.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerfaith1982 View Post
Tales of Vesperia gets alot closer than LO. In fact it is an amazing AAA jrpg
Old 01-04-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphjp View Post
There is very little "roleplaying" in most RPG's. Sicne they only give you one possible way to complete tasks. WRPG's have much better "roleplaying" elements. Ie fallout 3/ KoToR you can be good or evil depending on your mood. And decisions you make will change how the game treats you. JRPG's are mostly about leveling characters and that isn't "roleplaying" that is grinding.

So I disagree with you and I say VC is a classic S-JRPG.
I completely agree with you. JRPG's are most defined by the story, which I think VC does brilliantly.