WKC Initial Impressions - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-03-2009, 05:59 PM

Default WKC Initial Impressions

This is not necessarily a review since I'm only 7 or so hours in the main story.

Story - Possibly one of the most cliched stories so far, princess gets captured and only one guy with random crew can save her and stop the evil society of evil doers. Both the story and characters are severely lacking in depth. I'm hoping there is some sort of twist somewhere but I'm not holding my breath.

Combat - I'm still up in the air on this. I am not a big fan of micro management in my rpgs so I dislike having to setup the battle system commands and change them as often as it seems I need to in order to not lose the edge in combat. It is a unique system combining real time combat but still using an ATB style action gauge. The AI does a fairly good job of controlling the other characters but the options on modifying their auto behavior are not very in-depth. The combat is very easy so far. Have yet to run into anything challenging at all with the white knight walking over everything. The monster encounters are less than in other games of the same style(non-random encounters) but it works out in it's favor since even some of the regular monster fights have a kind of epic feeling to them(having Leonard jump 20 feet in the air for a combo to their face could be part of it ). My biggest complaint is that there is no challenge. Second complaint is anyone can pretty much do anything they want, there are suggested roles for each character but it makes little difference in the way the stat increases are concerned since you pick what you want.

Sound - The musical score is really appropriate and more "grand" than other RPGs I have played and less repetitive sounding. Sounds effects are standard and sound clean but nothign standout-ish. The voice actors are really well picked except for this one short fat chancellor guy who is just damn annoying. As for the dialogue don't expect LO quality but it is at least passable and has decent flow to it making it easy to follow.

Graphics - First of all the game looks very good but not great. The characters, monsters, npcs, and special effects really stand out (not as nice looking as VC but different art style) my problem is the environments which seem fine graphically but are kind of bland if I had to pick a word. Also I'd like to give special mention to the transformation of the White Kinght and how cool it is to turn into Escaflowne although it looks a bit silly depending on which monster you use it against given the jump in size 5 fold over your usual characters.

Co-Op - This is last since i could not connect for the first few days and have no experience with it. I did make my avatar though since it is required to even start the game. The avatar system goes ridiculously overboard on customization going above and beyond EA's character creators. Your character is in both the single player portion as well as online(he is leonard's lackey) and your main controlling character online from what I understand. I like the idea of having the same character in both online and offline with transferring exp and money(Molyneux should take notes). Despite not being able to play it yet I am not looking forward to the lack of voice chat. The way the combat plays out does not leave much time to type out anything in my opinion.

Overall I am liking this more than the last remnant and IU but that isn't saying much. Famitsu was correct in their score as far as I'm concerned. It is a fun experience so far but the lacking story and character elements really are big drawbacks for me. It feels too much like an online rpg in a lot of areas and the screen is a bit cluttered. I guess if you actually liked FFXII and wished you could go on monster hunts with your friends this would be golden but if not it's jsut a bit too average.. Between ToV, VC, and LO this is just not standing up to the quality standards they have set so far this gen.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:41 PM

Hmm interesting. I'm looking forward to 1up's scores to see if I bite day one. If not i'll likely bargain buy. I'm still RPG backlogged as is.

Thanks for the impressions though. I like level headed user input as opposed to publications.

So i'll put you on the spot. Currently what would you score it
Old 01-03-2009, 07:42 PM

If he said 29/40 was spot on, probably a 7.5

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 01-03-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingtotalass View Post
Hmm interesting. I'm looking forward to 1up's scores to see if I bite day one. If not i'll likely bargain buy. I'm still RPG backlogged as is.

Thanks for the impressions though. I like level headed user input as opposed to publications.

So i'll put you on the spot. Currently what would you score it
I like how you will "bite" for a low scored 360 exclusive RPG, but a PS3 one you are waiting for a review score.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphjp View Post
I like how you will "bite" for a low scored 360 exclusive RPG, but a PS3 one you are waiting for a review score.
its his duty as mad general. he has to play every crappy 360 exclusive and say its good.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyone01 View Post
Overall I am liking this more than the last remnant and IU but that isn't saying much. Famitsu was correct in their score as far as I'm concerned.
So Famitsu gave LR a 38/40 and IU a 31/40 and you like WKC better, but you think the score of 29/40 for WKC is right on? that doesn't really make sense...
Old 01-03-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_rocca42 View Post
So Famitsu gave LR a 38/40 and IU a 31/40 and you like WKC better, but you think the score of 29/40 for WKC is right on? that doesn't really make sense...
Makes plenty of sense. He agrees with WKC's score of a 29/40, but nowhere does he mention that he agreed with the score of LR and IU.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 01-03-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
Makes plenty of sense. He agrees with WKC's score of a 29/40, but nowhere does he mention that he agreed with the score of LR and IU.
lol. i guess your explanation makes sense. that must mean he only agrees with there scores when he feels like it.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:15 PM

I love coop and rpgs so ill be getting this. I hope its good.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:23 PM

Not a big fan of scoring an rpg this early in but I'd give it in the mid to high 7s right now. I definntely do not agree with their scores for IU or LR...wayyy too high(damn dinner dinner dinner). I just used famitsu's score of WKC as a reference. I think WKC is definitely worth a play through especially for those single console owners but it just is not really my kind of RPG so far as I prefer more character development and at least some thought put into the plot rather than focusing on new ways of annoying me in combat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master X View Post
I love coop and rpgs so ill be getting this. I hope its good.
If that is the case I could definitely see the appeal for you although I still am REALLY hoping for a voice patch.