PS3 HDMi connection seems dodgey! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-01-2009, 08:37 AM

Default PS3 HDMi connection seems dodgey!

I want to find out if anyone else is having the same issue as me with their
PS3 > HDMi > HDtv connections.

I have my PS3 connectd to one of the two HDMi slots on my HDtv and over the last year I have had that HDMi connection fail about 4 times now and then about an hour later it seems to fix itself.

I can be using the PS3 on the night time, turn off the machine and the power then wake up in the morning to find that the PS3 will not transmit a signal down the HDMi connection to my TV.

I do the whole thing of holding the power button for 10 seconds to reset the video settings and then use the composite instead. It then says "HDMi connection found, do you wish to use it" and I say yes.

Still no picture on the HDMi channel of the TV.

I repeat that several times and nothing. I swap the HDMi cable between the HDMi slot 1 and 2 on my TV and it makes no difference. I then leave it alone and go get something to eat...

...then I come back and magically it works absolutely fine when I next turn it on with a full picture via the HDMi connection.

Now I know for a fact it isnt my HDtv which is to blame because I also have my PC connected to the second HDMi connection (or which ever is free) on my HDtv and I never have any of these issues at all.

I have also tested my PC connection on both HDMi slots and it works absolutely fine on both.

I have also been through 3 HDMi cables because of this and assuming it was the cable causing the issue, but since it is still happening it cant be (which also means I have wasted a lot of money) the cable.

The conclusion being that the PS3 for some reason (very few months) will stop transmitting a picture via the HDMi cable to my HDtv, but will then miraculiously start working within about an hour.

Does this happen to anyone else?

The other odd thing is that I know the PS3 has obviously detected the HDMi connection as it says "HDMi connection found..." when in composite.

Also I know my HDtv is recieving something from the HDMi connection from the PS3 because otherwise it DOESNT say "Please wait..." on screen.

My HDtv always states "Please wait.." when you use a channel which no signal is being transmitted on, but that warning is not shown.

This seems to suggest the PS3 is sending something via the HDMi connection, but it is not being displayed.

This only seems to happen every few months, but it is still frustating when you are worried your expensive PS3 is broken and it keeps doing it.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:56 PM

I never had that issue, but I do get a static type screen sometimes when I put in a ps2 game or a ps3 game. Sometimes for a movie too...

Another member said he gets that too though.

If it happens every few months, that's not too bad. I don't think your ps3 is broken. Could it be your tv?
Old 01-01-2009, 06:44 PM

Something similar happened to my set the last couple of weeks.

It only happens if I turn on the PS3 right before the TV (47" LG Scarlet), however.
I usually just turn off the TV and back on when it does happen. After that everything works quite well again.

I suspect cheap HDMI connection cables behind it.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx123 View Post
Something similar happened to my set the last couple of weeks.

It only happens if I turn on the PS3 right before the TV (47" LG Scarlet), however.
I usually just turn off the TV and back on when it does happen. After that everything works quite well again.

I suspect cheap HDMI connection cables behind it.
Well ive paid a variation between 20-40 for the cables I have tried and they have all done the same thing, and they have been both gold and silver plated.

I wouldnt say those were cheap IMO.

Im pretty sure ive tried turning the tv off and back on to see if it makes a difference, but ill keep that in mind.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:36 PM

This is a problem I've run into on multiple types of HDMI devices. I round this up as "handshake issues".

On my old Sony HDTV, it had a problem accepting most HDMI signals. It wasn't built around the current spec, and it definitely doesn't like the PS3. I use to have to turn on and off the set just to get it to work. So, I know a bit about the pain that these handshake issues can cause.

HDMI isn't on my praise list.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:57 PM

This is a simple Handshake issue as twonunpackmule stated. If you want to fix this problem simply turn on your tv and set it to the correct channel before turning on your ps3. 99/100 times this will prevent any handshake issues. I honestly don't think I've ever had the issue with my ps3, however it happens about 1 in every 10 times I turn on my 360 since I use a universal remote which changes a ton of things whenever I click the play xbox button.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:06 PM

I have no problems with anything HDMI on my set/PS3
Old 01-03-2009, 01:32 PM

I had the exact problem you are having, except a little less severe (I didn't have to turn on and off multiple times, etc, it usually reset itself properly after a few minutes). What really pissed me off was how it lost all the video and audio settings I already had, but that only takes a minute to fix I guess.

Anyway, it is the handshake issue as I came to find out, and just turning on the TV and receiver to the right settings before initializing the PS3 should fix it.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApBtFusion View Post
I never had that issue, but I do get a static type screen sometimes when I put in a ps2 game or a ps3 game. Sometimes for a movie too...

Another member said he gets that too though.

If it happens every few months, that's not too bad. I don't think your ps3 is broken. Could it be your tv?
I get a pink screen everytime I load a game or movie.