In NEED of ADVICE - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-31-2008, 11:07 AM

Default In NEED of ADVICE

UNLIKE many, i played rock band...(as in rock band ONE) for the first time this past weeked...it was pretty sweet and thinking of buying it. Im just wandering how it compares to rock band TWO. what comes w/ the box? do you get mic, drums AND guitar, or is everything sold separately?

any positives negatives between the two...any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2008, 11:12 AM

What system?

Rock Band 2 is awesome for PS3 and 360 b/c you can rip the RB1 soundtrack (62/65) songs to your HD, so all you need is the RB2 disc in the system to play all 168 songs.

Rock Band 2 you get a mic, better drums and a better guitar, this should be in game room, fyi.

edit: To play full 4 players you need an extra guitar, the special edition box will get you 3 players. I'm pretty sure you can only find Rock Band 1 for the Wii at most major retailers so you'll have to get RB2 anyway, then just ask someone on HDD or a friend or rent Rock Band 1 to rip the music for $5.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:16 AM

The wireless stuff with Rock Band 2 makes it well worthwhile, especially so due to the auto calibration feature with the RB2 guitar controller. The bass pedal on RB2's set is also more durable. Rent Rock Band 1 and rip it like maley said.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:19 AM

thanks for the feedback fellas!
Old 12-31-2008, 11:20 AM

I couldn't go back to Rock Band after Rock Band 2. The latter is better in every possible way, INCLUDING having RB1's tracks if you import them from RB1.

The instruments come with RB2 just like RB1 (unless you choose to buy the game separately). For my money, the Guitar Hero guitars are still better than RB's, but RB2's isn't bad (RB1's guitar IS bad).
Old 12-31-2008, 04:37 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman603 View Post
UNLIKE many, i played rock band...(as in rock band ONE) for the first time this past weeked...it was pretty sweet and thinking of buying it. Im just wandering how it compares to rock band TWO. what comes w/ the box? do you get mic, drums AND guitar, or is everything sold separately?

any positives negatives between the two...any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!
For the most part, I would generally recommend RB2 over RB1 as others have already done. However, there are a few minor caveats that you might want to be made aware of. I'll say again, these don't bother me in the slightest, but to some they mattered a great deal.

First of all, while you can import the RB1 songs into RB2, you can't import them all. Three of the songs won't make the cross over due to licensing issues, those songs being Enter Sandman, by Metallica, Run for the Hills (a cover of the Iron Maiden original) and Paranoid (also a cover of the Black Sabbath original), so if you really, really enjoy those songs, you'll need RB1. Personally I got burned out on playing Enter Sandman so many times online that when I heard it wasn't making the "cut" I was overjoyed, but this is a matter of preference (and in my case, over exposure).

The other thing to be aware of is that the gameplay structure has changed somewhat. RB1 has a "traditional" solo mode similar to Guitar Hero in that you make your character, select your instrument, and then go through "tiers" of songs where you need to clear out one tier in order to advance to next tier of difficulty. During this process, the game records your progress, showing you your individual score for the song as well as keeping track of whether you've "gold starred" (the RB equivalent of getting an insanely high score on Expert through a combination of perfect to near perfect performance plus judicious use of Overdrive to multiply your score) a song. RB2 does away with this in one sense, eliminating the solo career and its ability to track your gold star progress, instead giving you "challenges" in world tour mode that act as pseudo-solo career mode. Again, it's a small thing, but I've heard some score whores really bemoan this particular design choice since they can no longer see which songs they've gold starred on their climb up the leaderboards.

That's about it, really. The generation of instruments for RB2 are of higher build than the RB1 instruments, the song selection is just as strong, and of course, the DLC keeps the game fresh. Depending on how serious you are about the game, I'd strongly recommend buying a better quality 3rd party guitar like the Starpex. I got mine recently, and though it's insanely expensive, you can really feel the difference. I've messed with a lot of fake guitars since Guitar Hero 1 and I can confidently say that the Starpex is, by far, the best guitar on the market. Which it had better be at that crazy price tag. It's responsive, strummer is perfect, and the buttons are sensitive enough to catch even light finger work during crazy hammer on/pull off sections in solos. It's not an "I Win" button for music games, but I can definitely say you will notice an improvement in your playing with this guitar. Of course, the downside to that is if you screw up a song, you have only yourself to blame now, because it sure as hell isn't your instrument anymore...
Old 12-31-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenDude View Post
The wireless stuff with Rock Band 2 makes it well worthwhile, especially so due to the auto calibration feature with the RB2 guitar controller. The bass pedal on RB2's set is also more durable. Rent Rock Band 1 and rip it like maley said.
I just got RB2 this x-mas and was told the same thing. I got all excited until I started looking for a copy. I can't find a copy anywhere so I've started asking people I know if they know anyone that has RB1.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhgete View Post
I just got RB2 this x-mas and was told the same thing. I got all excited until I started looking for a copy. I can't find a copy anywhere so I've started asking people I know if they know anyone that has RB1.
No gamefly? I'm sure you could find it used somewhere too on the cheap.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhgete View Post
I'd send mine but mine is actually my friend's and I doubt he'd be comfortable w/ me sending it across the country . Just start a thread in the Game Room...I'm sure someone here can help you out.