Changing the PS3 HD...for those that have done it. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-28-2008, 01:35 AM

Default Changing the PS3 HD...for those that have done it.

I was thinking of getting:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136279

Is it a pretty easy process?

Backup my current PS3 HD to an external, then pop in the new HD and it automatically formats then just unload the external on to the PS3 HD?

Would I have to do anything else or would all my game saves (PS2 and PS1 games included) and DLC transfer as well?

Thanks.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:42 AM

I changed my HDD a couple months back, just backed everything up on my ipod first, took out the HDD and popped in the new one.
Only problem i had was that i had to put in a usb memory stick with the latest firmware version on it. (downloaded from the PS3 website.).
If everything peachy, the PS3 will load up and then you can format the new HDD and transfer everything back onto it.
Hope this helps!
Old 12-28-2008, 01:44 AM

Good idea for the firmware, I should do that, would probably be faster. Thanks. Hoping the 7200 rpm will give a slight boost over the 5400 rpm HD
Old 12-28-2008, 01:49 AM

Well, from what I've read (you can google it) some people have run loading tests with a 5400rpm vs a 7200rpm hdd on the ps3, and it makes only a negligable difference.

However, yes it's an incredibly easy process. I bumped up to 320gb with a WD, and had no problem at all. If I recall, (if you wish to back up at all) you will need to backup your ps3 hdd to a fat32 formatted drive. Physically putting the drive in is very easy and takes no time at all. Make sure to have a really tiny screwdriver though (the screws on the hdd cradle strip easily).

After you back up the stuff to something fat32, you simply put the bigger drive in, then fire it up and use the restore utility. As said, you'll need to then update to the newest firmware.

If you're a novice or better, I'd bet you can finish this all in 45 min to an hour
Old 12-28-2008, 01:53 AM

Built my computer, was just wondering for any advice/suggestions before doing it, thanks
Old 12-28-2008, 01:55 AM

Then you're far more advanced than me as I'm a novice. The only thing I've ever done was beef up my system with a new gfx card, and install a higher powered psu.

It took me an hour, and most of that was just letting the ps3 do its thing with backing up and restoring information
Old 12-28-2008, 02:35 AM

Pro Tip: Considering that they use Play-Doh to make the screws for the PS3 hard drive, a pair of needle nose pliers can work wonders. I actually stripped one of the screws, but ended up squeezing the sides hard enough with some pliers and did a sort of wrench action to get it out. I STRONGLY suggest you only slightly more than hand tighten the screws when putting in the new hard drive. This makes any future swaps go that much easier.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebonz View Post
Pro Tip: Considering that they use Play-Doh to make the screws for the PS3 hard drive, a pair of needle nose pliers can work wonders. I actually stripped one of the screws, but ended up squeezing the sides hard enough with some pliers and did a sort of wrench action to get it out. I STRONGLY suggest you only slightly more than hand tighten the screws when putting in the new hard drive. This makes any future swaps go that much easier.
Yep, me too. Be careful with those - otherwise it' s a very easy process.

The PS3 backup/restore utility transfers everything exactly as they are so don't worry about that.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:18 AM
Banned

I wrecked the bracket with pliers in getting the last screw out, but the new HDD worked just fine being held in place by the last three screws.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomba View Post
I wrecked the bracket with pliers in getting the last screw out, but the new HDD worked just fine being held in place by the last three screws.
I did that with my old 60GB PS3. I rounded off the end accidentally and got that screw our by snapping the housing free from the rest of the screws. The 3 screws holding it did it fine despite my mishap!