Netflix users that stream to 360 questions - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-27-2008, 03:20 PM

Default Netflix users that stream to 360 questions

Ok so the new dashboard has been out roughly 2 months. I have several questions regarding using your netflix account in the 360 since I'm looking to start that up.

Mainly, what resolution do movies stream at being HD? 1080i? 720p? 480p?
Is it similar to how xbox has it's rented movies, where it downloads on to your drive and after a certain percentage one can play the movie? How's the selection? Or Is it what xbox has available? Any downsides? I know it took a bit for users to get it started once the dashboard got released, has the bugs been ironed out?

Thanks. And any other info you think would be a good heads up is appreciated.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:34 PM

Im not sure if I have all of the answers that you are looking for but I will give you my 2 cents. I had never used netflix before it was able to be streamed over xbox. The titles that you can stream over your xbox are much more limited than the amount of movies they have to actually send you the disc. But there are some decent titles to stream as well as alot of tv shows..like heros and stuff like that. Im not sure exactly which of these(720p, 1080i, 1080p) is used but im pretty sure the quality of the vid is based on your internet connection. Ok, I don't know if that helped at all but I tried..lol
Old 12-27-2008, 03:43 PM

The selection is poor, and you can see it by going to Netflix.com and seeing which things have a Play Now (or whatever it's called... it's blue) button.

The content is half-and-half HD and not HD, I'd say. The HD is not very good HD -- it looks like a bit above DVD quality.

It's streaming, not like XBLM. Meaning, it's constantly loading data around where you're watching. Therefore, whenever you fast forward or rewind, it has to buffer for a while (5-10 seconds). It's downloaded in its entirety, so it's not like you can wait and then watch the whole thing later.

Just go to Netflix.com and try it, if you have a membership. It's the same thing, but on your 360, but you have to use a PC to add stuff to your queue in both cases.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:44 PM

Well, it's a start. LOL. Thanks for your input. Also, I don't want to talk about pricing, but do the plans they have affect how much you can watch at one time? Meaning if I get 30 rock season one and I'm mid way through an episode can I stop and play a movie I have in my queue if company comes over? Or would I need to finish what I'm watching to then pick what I'd like to watch with company?
Old 12-27-2008, 03:51 PM

You can add alot of things to your instant queue at one time. So you can watch the first 30 mins of a movie and stop and then go watch 30 mins of another movie and come back to the first movie at the exact spot that you stop at. Im not sure the exact limits at one time but I currently have 16 movies and one series in my queue so it seems to let you have an ok amount.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the heads up fellas. I wonder if anyone else wants to throw their advice in too.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:37 PM

If you love to just watch random films, it's great. I watch pretty much anything. So, I've got tons of options to choose from.

Some of the films are just flat out hilarious. Spy High has to be the worst film I've seen on there...but man was it funny.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:45 PM

Netflix has about 13,000 movies available to watch with more being added all the time. It's a nice option to have, especially if you enjoy television shows, and older movies. I also got rid of cable about 2 months ago, so it definitely gives me a lot of value.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:23 PM

How is the quality of the stream? or is it one of those, it looks better on a faster connection type situations? I was also told that the 360 has to be on, and one has to be logged in on the PC to watch it on the 360. Do I have to do the whole extender thing on my PC to have it stream to my 360? If someone can explain the whole "watch it now" with the 360 I appreciate it
Old 12-27-2008, 06:50 PM

The quality depends on your connection speed. I get top quality with every stream.

You setup your queue from the pc. Once you have your Queue setup just turn on your 360 and log in to you Xbox Live account. Then just choose the Netflix option. The first time you do this, it downloads a piece of Netflix software. Takes a couple of minutes.

Once that is done, your 360 recognizes your queue and lists all the stuff you put in it. Then just pick and play.