So like... I got Gears 2 for Christmas... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-25-2008, 11:18 AM

Default So like... I got Gears 2 for Christmas...

And it's awesome. I've got a 48 hour trial of Live that I can cash in anytime and five free maps so I'll probably drop for those soon.

And is it just me or is there something uniquely satisfying about meat-shielding a grub and then snapping it's neck?

EDIT:

I beat the game, at last (I had a Best Buy gift card and decided that ten or eleven days with the game just staring at me was ridiculous) and I think I had an overall positive experience. That is to say, this game was awesome.

I'll start off with what I liked. I've made it known that I'm not a huge fan of UE3, and that I've been saying on here and to some of my more technically savvy friends that UE3 is not the greatest game engine ever made (and it's still far far far from it), but it was still used to great effect with the visuals. I had a few framerate hitches along the way with some pop-in, pop-out textures (blood, for example) but it wasn't anything severe and it was overall a smooth, awesome looking game... The fire effects kicked ass, the last level, with shit falling down around you, looked pretty good, I can't say that anything looked particularly atrocious. Yeah yeah, there are some awfully low resolution textures from time to time, but they aren't common and can be forgiven due to how good the rest of the game looks. However, I could say that the game looks like ass and still pass it on visuals on one merit alone.... Chainsaw duels are .

Guess next comes the story related stuff. I've played the first few hours of the first Gears of War well before I had a 360 (I'm way better at it this time around) and even gave it a whirl a little after I got my console, and there wasn't even really much of an opening cutscene. Gears of War 2, though, opens much more cinematically and with some more development. This comes from not having beaten the first one, but there were some things I didn't at first understand, some of which I picked up on, and the game ended with loose ends untied as well. Why was Marcus Fenix in jail to begin with in the first one? Nonetheless, they gave us a little bit of development on Marcus and a lot more on Dom, what with the search for his wife.

As for the stuff that actually happened in the game, I thought a lot of it was halarious. Namely Cole, because he's awesome. I loved his little monolouge about the Locust Queen, that was pretty funny. There were some other one liners I got a chuckle out of, too. The wit in the game can't be ignored and gives the characters personality, which I really appreciated. Though at times, it kinda felt like a little too much cockiness to me, it wasn't a breaker.

The gameplay, probably the most important aspect to the game, I felt, was well done. Yeah, every once in awhile, the A button would make Marcus do something other than what I intended but in the end, I had no real problems.... At least not with the majority of the game where you're on foot. Vehicle segments in this game are painfully bad. Given the control scheme of the game, perhaps there was no better way, but frankly if you can't make it enjoyable, don't put them in. They weren't fun in Halo, they weren't fun in Resistance: Fall of Man (and Insomniac got the picture for the second one), it wasn't fun in Call of Duty: World at War, and it wasn't fun in Gears 2. The only other complaint was that the final fight sequence seemed like a give-away. You just hold the trigger and point and there's no way you die. It was a let down after having a somewhat epic fight with Skorge just an hour or so earlier in the game.

But with all that bad said, I'd say I was still far above impressed because of the rest of the game before to really say "Bleh, game fails". Even with it's gameplay faults (which actually only account for what, 10% of the game, if even?), I'd say the game is made of grade-A quality win.

But then the inevitable question shows it's ugly head. Which do I like more? R2 single player or Gears 2 single player. Ugh, I hate having to choose, but frankly either one I choose, I have to qualify them. Resistance 2 had a better single player, on average. The boss battles were better (and there were more) and many of the levels were great. Finally, there wasn't anything in R2 that I felt created a drag on the experience (again, on average) like some of the segments of Gears 2 did (which, sadly, the game kind of ends while in one of those ruts).

Spoiler
Just to explain what I mean, the game ends on a more underwhelming note, in terms of gameplay because before the fighting in Jacinto at the end of the game, you spent a good 15 to 30 minutes on the Reaver which at least directionally controlled like ass. Then you're on foot while back in Jacinto, but the game ends with you hijacking a Brumak, which also controlled like ass but can be forgiven because for almost that entire segment, you're moving in a straight line. Then right afterwards, you're in the helicopter, directing the Hammer of Dawn on the mutated Brumak. In essence, the last 20 minutes or so of gameplay did not feel like Gears of War, that's what I meant by underwhelming, and that is the drag I'm talking about. The end of the first one had the run and cover gameplay in what looked like an epic boss battle. Gears 2 cannot say the same. End spoiler.

I know I complained a bit about how the game ended, but I think a lot of people will agree that no matter how great a game is (and make no mistake, Gears 2 is quite a solid game, overall), if it ends meh, even after being ten kinds of awesome, it takes away (or at least hides) a few kinds of said awesome. I don't think I'm alone, either. I'd rather have a game start off kinda meh (Legend of Dragoon, for example) and have it end much better than it started (again, Legend of Dragoon) because at the end of the experience, it's harder to fault the game.

So again, I guess I have to answer. Gears 2 or Resistance 2. Based on just single player, I have to say that Resistance 2 wins on average alone. They were about the same, depending on where you were (percentage wise), Gears 2 wins out, but Resistance 2 didn't quite end on the same note that Gears 2 did, in terms of gameplay.

But if I were rating this game, what would I say about it? I think on the single player, I gotta say 9 or so. Yeah, there's a few SP bugs and glitches that showcase why UE3 is not God's gift to gaming, but none were even remotely game-breaking and were amusing (obviously at the engine's expense), however, even with the less than epic ending, I'd still say it's one of the best single players of 2008 and of this console generation. I'd do multiplayer but I have no money and I'm not sure my 48 hour trial is enough to really judge it. Great game, if you miss out on it (at least concerning the single player), you are doing yourself a disservice. All faults considered, there are just so many instances of badass-itude that you simply can't be mad about it. And again... Curb-stomping is awesome and brutal looking.

Last edited by BBM128; 01-09-2009 at 06:36 AM.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:03 PM

Damn straight it is... I never get tired of snagging someone and having them be my meatshield. The SNAP the neck makes is just addicting! Even more so when it's one of the people on your friends list you're doing it to.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:10 PM

Just got this today myself. Can't play it yet because the wife is watching TV.

She also got me some 360 boxers as a stocking stuffer.

Edit: Here are some pics:

Merry Christmas everyone!

Last edited by RM; 12-25-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:12 PM

I can barely play the game because of my shitty controller's analog stick being out of whack but I got through the first level (and got 'It's a trap') pretty well.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBM128 View Post
I can barely play the game because of my shitty controller's analog stick being out of whack but I got through the first level (and got 'It's a trap') pretty well.
Make a friend in one of those game shops. They'll let you "swap".

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:36 PM

Meat shielding rocks.

Do the Horde mode. uber fun
Old 12-25-2008, 01:40 PM

Rockband 2! + Extra guitar
Bioshock PS3
Transformers BR
5th Element (Remastered Version) BR

Other random stuff
Old 12-25-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuco33 View Post
Meat shielding rocks.

Do the Horde mode. uber fun
I did it offline at a friend's house and it's pretty fun, but seems like it'd be better with more people. Hopefully the glitches didn't find their way into Horde mode. >_>
Old 12-25-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBM128 View Post
I did it offline at a friend's house and it's pretty fun, but seems like it'd be better with more people. Hopefully the glitches didn't find their way into Horde mode. >_>
horde mode is fine
Old 12-25-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApBtFusion View Post
horde mode is fine
*glee*

If/when I get that 3 month subscription to Gold, I'll be on that.