The End of Traditional Packaging? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-20-2008, 11:13 PM

Default The End of Traditional Packaging?

Quote:
Earlier this year, CNET published a report stating that the retail usage of clamshell packaging (sealed hard plastic shells often used to pack electronics) is nearing extinction due to high production costs and environmental concerns. Amazon was the first to switch over to "Frustration Free Packaging", a service they offer which packs certain items in easy-to-open recyclable cardboard. Shortly thereafter, the New York Times reported that other companies, such as Best Buy, Microsoft and Sony would soon shuck the use of clamshells as well.

At least one-third of that report appears to be true -- Sony recently announced that they'd stop shipping their electronics in the laceration-prone packaging, and are working on finding a "new alternative" which they'd implement soon. To display their dedication, they even made a promotional video for their latest internal business conference. It's posted after the break, and is cheesy enough to instantly kill any lactose-intolerant viewers. You've been warned.
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/12/20/so...ell-packaging/

Thoughts? I posted this in game-room but it impacts both the movie and game industry, as well as other electronics arenas.

I do hate the huge plastic behemoth packages for simple items like headphones, etc, but then again, movies which come in the cardboard packagine drives me nuts. For one, there is no protection to prevent scratching (Off the top of my head: There Will be Blood and the first 2 Futurama DVD films) and it usually gets crushed by the other boxes in my collection. If games moved to that, frankly, I would buy less of them to add to my "collection" because I like the sturdiness of the boxes with the box art, and the cardboard boxes they are replacing them with suck. Maybe that is just me??

So, I approve of fixing the ridiculously hard to open plastic packages for headphones, power-converters, etc. But if they replace the generally easy to open plastic boxes for movies and games with cardboard junk, I'll just go ahead and rent or otherwise avoid buying the scratch-prone junk.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:30 PM

Terrible news for me as a collector and shelving enthusiast. Cardboard slips have no shelf appeal and the odds of the disc being damaged/cracked are massively raised costing the manufacturer money in disc replacement costs. The plastic they are in now has sufficed for many years past and should continue to survive.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:45 AM

I hate clamshell packaging. It's hard to open wasteful and ugly. Good riddance I say.
Plastic media cases are fine though, and it's hard to think of an alternative. A DVD case is part of the product you buy and keep making it entirely different from the packaging of e.g. the headphones that were mentioned which you just tear and throw away the next minute. That's what need to stop - not to mention I've cut myself a million times trying to open those $%# things.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oBUSo_Ra1d3r View Post
Terrible news for me as a collector and shelving enthusiast. Cardboard slips have no shelf appeal and the odds of the disc being damaged/cracked are massively raised costing the manufacturer money in disc replacement costs. The plastic they are in now has sufficed for many years past and should continue to survive.
The article says nothing about DVD snap cases.

It just talks about the hard plastic that you basically need a knife for.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:49 PM

If they do move away from plastic cases I'd be happy. Plastic is such a wasteful and sometimes non-recyclable product.

When we are long and gone and our DVDs no longer work both they and the packaging will still be litter the planet.

I'm all for smaller, thinner, lighter, packaging. I'm at a combined 1,100 titles both DVD and blu and the space they take up is ridiculous. I've migrated at least 500 to CD booklets and threw the packaging in boxes in the basement.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:36 PM

Good riddance to giant plastic packaging that looks great but you need a chainsaw to open. I've come close to wrecking items trying to get them free.
They should keep hard dvd cases though as paper ones suck.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:02 PM

If movie and game purchases start to look like netflix envelopes i will be very dissapointed. I like smaller packages that the PS3 and Blu-Ray utilize and would hate to see them go. Heck, I even bought a custom made Wii Sports case since that game didnt even come with one. Im all for semi rugged protection for my investment in optical media. I will probably just buy custom cases if they try to move in the other direction, oh and the savings better trickle down to the consumer or I'm just going to gamefly.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:18 AM

Yeah, +1 for the "totally fine with cardboard headphone packaging, but don't mess with my DVD cases" crowd.

If I start to get packaging like the first two Futuramas, I will promise to burn the cases by setting them on top of a pile of styrofoam doused in gas. I'll be sure to also use the old "lighter and can of spraypaint (Edit: Like pictured in the avatar above!)" trick to set it on fire.

What I would be fine with would be something like what a lot of the Adult Swim DVDs come in. Cardboard outsides with a hard plastic "insert" that the disc can at least snap into and keep it steady.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:18 AM

seriously it's like they just don't want you to open some things that you buy

i don't know how many times i've almost cut myself trying to get something open
Old 12-22-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebonz View Post
What I would be fine with would be something like what a lot of the Adult Swim DVDs come in. Cardboard outsides with a hard plastic "insert" that the disc can at least snap into and keep it steady.

+1 to you, sounds like a perfect compromise to me. While most of the cardboard DVD boxes I have seen are total crap which collapse in half a second, the Venture Bros. box is quite sturdy for cardboard and the biggie is that it still has a tiny bit of plastic to snap the disc into. The futurama and other movies where there is a little slit to slide it into are ridiculous.