Xbox withdrawal can KILL - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-07-2008, 11:21 AM
IceNine's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,628
Default Xbox withdrawal can KILL

Canadian Boy Who Ran Away After Xbox Confiscated Found Dead

Friday, November 07, 2008

A teenage boy who ran away from home last month after his Xbox was confiscated has been found dead in Canada.

Brandon Crisp, 15, disappeared on Oct. 14 after his father forbade him from playing his video game console after becoming concerned about the teenagerís obsession with the online game Call of Duty 4.

Steve Crisp said he removed the Xbox 360 after his sonís behavior began to change. He said Brandonís grades were slipping, he had started skipping school and stealing money.

Brandon fled his home on his bicycle and was last seen in a popular hiking and cycling path near Barrie, Ontario, north of Toronto.

A local newspaper and Xbox creators Microsoft offered a $50,000 reward and 1,600 volunteers searched the local area, but all they found was his abandoned bicycle with a flat tire.

Brandonís body was found by hunters in a cornfield on Wednesday.

In an interview with Canadaís Globe and Mail, Crisp said he had not known how important the gaming system was to his son or how he would react when it was taken away.

He warned other parents to be wary of how obsessive children can get with video games. Experts commented that gamers may form bonds with fellow online players, and Brandonís parents said they were concerned he may have been lured away.

"This had become his identity, and I didn't realize how in-depth this was until I took his Xbox away," Crisp told the Globe and Mail. "That's like cutting his legs off."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,448026,00.html
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Godstar's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 23,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceNine View Post
Canadian Boy Who Ran Away After Xbox Confiscated Found Dead

Friday, November 07, 2008

A teenage boy who ran away from home last month after his Xbox was confiscated has been found dead in Canada.

Brandon Crisp, 15, disappeared on Oct. 14 after his father forbade him from playing his video game console after becoming concerned about the teenagerís obsession with the online game Call of Duty 4.

Steve Crisp said he removed the Xbox 360 after his sonís behavior began to change. He said Brandonís grades were slipping, he had started skipping school and stealing money.

Brandon fled his home on his bicycle and was last seen in a popular hiking and cycling path near Barrie, Ontario, north of Toronto.

A local newspaper and Xbox creators Microsoft offered a $50,000 reward and 1,600 volunteers searched the local area, but all they found was his abandoned bicycle with a flat tire.

Brandonís body was found by hunters in a cornfield on Wednesday.

In an interview with Canadaís Globe and Mail, Crisp said he had not known how important the gaming system was to his son or how he would react when it was taken away.

He warned other parents to be wary of how obsessive children can get with video games. Experts commented that gamers may form bonds with fellow online players, and Brandonís parents said they were concerned he may have been lured away.

"This had become his identity, and I didn't realize how in-depth this was until I took his Xbox away," Crisp told the Globe and Mail. "That's like cutting his legs off."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,448026,00.html
Hate to say it but his parent are idiots. They should have taken him to an addiction councilor and gone through some sort of program to slowly ween him off the game. Just ad hocly taking something like that away from someone who has an obvious psychological addiction is just blatantly irreresponcible. How can he say that he didn't realize how important the system was to him when the kid was skipping school, his grades were falling and he was stealing money. Jesus, some people.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-07-2008, 11:34 AM
IceNine's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
Hate to say it but his parent are idiots. They should have taken him to an addiction councilor and gone through some sort of program to slowly ween him off the game. Just ad hocly taking something like that away from someone who has an obvious psychological addiction is just blatantly irreresponcible. How can he say that he didn't realize how important the system was to him when the kid was skipping school, his grades were falling and he was stealing money. Jesus, some people.
What parents should do is this:

1. Talk to your kids.
2. Pay attention to your kids.
3. Know what your kids are doing and what they like.

I find that few parents pay enough attention to their kids and I suspect that this is the root of many problems. If you don't pay attention and provide a supporting environment, things can go very wrong. I would expect that the parents would have known how obsessed he was if they were pretty active in their kid's life. ***I could be wrong though***

I can't say that this is what happened in this situation, but you would like to think that the parents would have known how much the kid was playing COD4 and that he needed to take some breaks. It is a tough situation though. I feel sorry for everyone involved in this whole deal.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-07-2008, 11:37 AM
Godstar's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 23,628
Default

I just find the whole idea of 'hands off' parenting almost obscene. It's almost like this technological generation seems to think that TV and video games are tantemount to free babysitting and will do the parenting for them. It's pathetic. There is no way the parents shouldn't have known their kid was in the state he was in. No way.


Quote:
Originally Posted by IceNine View Post
What parents should do is this:

1. Talk to your kids.
2. Pay attention to your kids.
3. Know what your kids are doing and what they like.

I find that few parents pay enough attention to their kids and I suspect that this is the root of many problems. If you don't pay attention and provide a supporting environment, things can go very wrong. I would expect that the parents would have known how obsessed he was if they were pretty active in their kid's life. ***I could be wrong though***

I can't say that this is what happened in this situation, but you would like to think that the parents would have known how much the kid was playing COD4 and that he needed to take some breaks. It is a tough situation though. I feel sorry for everyone involved in this whole deal.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-07-2008, 11:44 AM
DustoMan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,007
Default

So this kid wasn't kidnapped like they were initially thinking? Wow, think the parents should have sent this kid to a shrink when he started getting so obsessed and his grades started dropping. Playing games is a privilege, not a right. Homework should have came first.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Badger3920's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 23,776
Default

I'd have to say that if I were a parent, and had jacked up enough to let it get to this situation, I'd probably have been frustrated and removed gaming priveleges too -- so I guess I can sort of feel for the parents.

Games and leisure are a reward for hard work. The majority of us on this site tend to work, and THEN play games after we've made enough money to cover our bills - and fullfilled other responsibilities. Teaching the kid this lesson would have been a great idea, using propositions like "Until you get your grades up, were moving the 360 into the living room, and you only get 30 minutes of playtime a day." And include, in the deal, that once the grades were back to where they started -- privileges would be restored (but place time limits like no more than 2 hours a day) or something.

Good boundaries, forming good habits, and working toward a goal for rewards.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-07-2008, 12:23 PM
diggumsmax's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger3920 View Post
I'd have to say that if I were a parent, and had jacked up enough to let it get to this situation, I'd probably have been frustrated and removed gaming priveleges too -- so I guess I can sort of feel for the parents.

Games and leisure are a reward for hard work. The majority of us on this site tend to work, and THEN play games after we've made enough money to cover our bills - and fullfilled other responsibilities. Teaching the kid this lesson would have been a great idea, using propositions like "Until you get your grades up, were moving the 360 into the living room, and you only get 30 minutes of playtime a day." And include, in the deal, that once the grades were back to where they started -- privileges would be restored (but place time limits like no more than 2 hours a day) or something.

Good boundaries, forming good habits, and working toward a goal for rewards.
Another problem is there are many family setting that parents could set to help avoid this issue but most don't even know about it. They could have simply enabled this although who knows if it would have prevented what happened.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/fa...amilytimer.htm

Quote:
The Family Timerópart of Xbox 360 Family Settingsólets you manage your family's console use on a daily or weekly basis.

For example, you can set the console to allow 2 hours of play per day. After those 2 hours of play, the console can't be used again within that 24-hour period, unless you grant additional time. A daily timer resets at midnight, and a weekly timer resets Sunday at midnight.

If you're the console administrator, you can override Family Timer settings if you (or those with whom you share the console) want to continue playing games or watching DVD movies after the set time limit is reached. Add more time or suspend the timer altogether until the next time the console is shut down.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-07-2008, 01:06 PM
wingnut's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,223
Default

To be fair CoD is also on the Ps3. This could definitely happen on any console. The thread title is a bit misleading. Some might get the impression that this is solely XBOX related, and not Video game related.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Snadinator's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 19,563
Default

been hearing about this story for a week now.

My parents used to revoke my NES when my grades would slip and they would bounce right back. In that sense, the parents did what they needed to do.

Fuck... who wouldn't have called bluff when their kid said he was taking off. Where would a kid go?

Maybe they should have sat down and had a chat with him, but I certainly would have taken the console away...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Badger3920's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 23,776
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
To be fair CoD is also on the Ps3. This could definitely happen on any console. The thread title is a bit misleading. Some might get the impression that this is solely XBOX related, and not Video game related.
I can't really say I'd agree. If anything, the title seems like flattery for the 360, as it makes it seem almost as important as oxygen


Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
been hearing about this story for a week now.

My parents used to revoke my NES when my grades would slip and they would bounce right back. In that sense, the parents did what they needed to do.

Fuck... who wouldn't have called bluff when their kid said he was taking off. Where would a kid go?

Maybe they should have sat down and had a chat with him, but I certainly would have taken the console away...

Yeah pretty much what I was saying and how I would have handled the situation. Your kid is too fixated on gaming to the point where it's ruining his life -- uhh, take it away ASAP is probably my first reaction. Maybe not the right one, but it seems logical enough to me.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Kill and Kill Again' is coming October 3 Landy Blu-ray Software General Discussion 0 08-15-2017 02:30 PM
Faster, Pussycat! Kill!! Kill!! Jaskoen Blu-ray Wish Lists 0 08-17-2011 04:40 PM
PS3 or XBox 360...Best console during a narcotics withdrawal? Averry Gaming Smackdown 8 10-10-2008 10:41 PM
Digital Distribution didn't kill CD, it won't kill Blu-Ray. theBishop HD Digital Downloads (NEW!) 46 01-13-2008 01:00 AM
Think your old Xbox 360 can't have HDMI installed? Think again, it can! Riddick HD DVD and Video Game Consoles 2 10-15-2007 08:11 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off