Gears of War 2 thread - post your opinions here - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-06-2008, 07:02 PM

Default Gears of War 2 thread - post your opinions here

I just started Gears of War 2 and I must say that it looks considerably better than Gears 1. They actually added some colors to the game and it makes a big difference in the look. The controls are just about the same, but it seems like they have tweaked the cover system a bit, as my guy doesn't get stuck to everything he runs by now.

There seems to be a "collectible" series of items for each chapter... I suppose these replace COG tags. I like what they have done here... pretty neat.

It does feel exactly like Gears of War so far, but that's a good thing.

If you care about achievements, do the training...

Green as Grass
Showed Carmine the ropes
Acquired 11/6/2008

NOTE: This thread started as a post in a thread in the "smackdown" forum, but I figured it would be better here so no fanboy stuff would intrude.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:04 PM

It's pretty freaking sweet.

It's not as fresh, but it's still a freaking blast. I also think it's a tad bit harder...however, it's probably because I'm rusty.

I've just made it to the rock worm tutorial.

The caves are gorgeous.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:09 PM

I'm working from home tomorrow, I wonder how productive that is gonna be.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post

Let us know how "work" went.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:31 AM

sigh i gotta wait for xmas before this. i'm broke as hell and hoping that between my bf, parents, and siblings im able to clear like 5-6 xbox games i'm behind on n wanna buy, but too poor lol
Old 11-07-2008, 11:49 AM

I'm really digging this so far. While the gameplay is much the same, there are little improvements all over the place. First of all, as Icenine said, there are splashes of color all over the place that really help punch a little life into the levels.

The new weapons, especially the heavy ones are really fun to use, and they did a good job seperatinng the two assault rifles more. The Locust one now has a much slower rate of fire, and can explode heads pretty easily.

I also really like the variety of levels now. I'm only in act 3, but so far there has definitely more than just destoryed buildings to run through. From the ride through a forrest on a derrick to the, ah... Contra reference at the end of Chapter 2.

I don't think there is any one big advancement but with all facets of the game getting an improvement, I think many gamers will be pretty happy with it.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
very productive.. for your gears campaign
Old 11-07-2008, 11:53 AM

Shit well a friend ended up draging me out in the rain for the midnight launch. I only waited in line 2 hours though.

Played for a few hours in Horde mode.....We were playing on hardcore and we managed to get to wave 14 in those 3 hours. It gets pretty fuckin hard but its fun. (btw this was with 4 friends playing)

Started the first chapter but havent played the campaign that much yet.

Overall its pretty good. Like mentioned before its almost the same as the first with slightly improved graphics.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:53 AM

bah I just typed a huge post at the smackdown forum in the gears review thread
Old 11-07-2008, 12:00 PM

It's very interesting to see that most people, when they talk about Gears 1, really enjoyed the campaign but not the multiplayer as much.

All of the first impressions on here seem to be about slammin some locusts in multiplayer, with a few afterthoughts of "oh and I played a minute or two of the campaign, it's cool too".