PS3 downloading question? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-06-2008, 08:51 AM

Default PS3 downloading question?

Can the PS3 download demos and such when you turn it off like you can with the 360? If it is possible how do you set it up? I thought they added this feature with some update but i played around with it last night and didn't see anything. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomHero918 View Post
Can the PS3 download demos and such when you turn it off like you can with the 360? If it is possible how do you set it up? I thought they added this feature with some update but i played around with it last night and didn't see anything. Thanks in advance.
I am pretty sure that this is not possible. If somebody chooses to correct me, I would also like to know how to do it-thanks in advance!
Old 11-06-2008, 09:49 AM

You can download in the background but I don't think you can do exactly what you are able to do with the 360. However, you can set your PS3 to turn off after X number of hours of inactivity. I'm not sure if downloading is considered activity, so someone else will have to answer that. But if it is considered an activity just set your PS3 to turn off after 2 hours of inactivity or something like that. Should be enough time to finish the download and your PS3 will turn off too.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:09 AM

downloading demos with the system shut off? Pretty sure thats not possible on anything...
Old 11-06-2008, 10:27 AM

^ well i know you can start a download on the 360 and then turn it off and it will finish the down load with the 360 off, i do it all the time befor i got to bed. i guess they dont have this option yet on the ps3.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomHero918 View Post
^ well i know you can start a download on the 360 and then turn it off and it will finish the down load with the 360 off, i do it all the time befor i got to bed. i guess they dont have this option yet on the ps3.
Never heard that before, if its true thats pretty neat.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSlade View Post
You can download in the background but I don't think you can do exactly what you are able to do with the 360. However, you can set your PS3 to turn off after X number of hours of inactivity. I'm not sure if downloading is considered activity, so someone else will have to answer that. But if it is considered an activity just set your PS3 to turn off after 2 hours of inactivity or something like that. Should be enough time to finish the download and your PS3 will turn off too.

There's no need for that. You can set it to turn itself off after downloading and installing your items. But to enable that option you need to turn the PS3 off from the relative XMB icon instead of the PS button on the controller.

There is no low-power background downloading status like on the 360 though.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLARITY View Post
Never heard that before, if its true thats pretty neat.
It's been available on the 360 for a long time now.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:23 AM

I think the PS3 can't switch into a low power mode and then turn off when the downloads are complete like the 360. I think that it can turn off after downloads are complete though.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:26 PM

This is the gist of it, but the wording maybe a little different because I'm trying to type this from memory:

PS3: In the XMB, go all the way to the left under Users and the top option is to turn off the system. Clicking on this will bring up a confirmation screen and includes a check box that says something like: "Complete and Install Downloads Then Shut Off" Check that and the screen will switch to a download status screen and you can shut off your monitor or switch to a new input to do something else.

X360: Go into the System Blade and look under the Console Settings. Under Shutdown, there's an option for Background Downloading. Enable it. Now when you shut off the console, if you have downloads queued they will continue in a low power mode and then shut off the console completely when they have finished.