SOCOM Headset. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-03-2008, 02:02 PM

Default SOCOM Headset.

Hey all. I already have the Jabra headset that cam with Warhawk, but I can't help but feel that this new one for SOCOM is tons better than the shit I got(I don't really like the headset, so much so, I normally don't even turn the damn thing on during a match).

Question is, should I care about this SOCOM headset, and are there any reviews by some respectable sites up that talk about the headset(none of the SOCOM reviews I've read even mention the damn thing...ugh).

Anyway, just want to know if it is worth it, and if it has a good fit in the ear(Reason I hate Jabra is because that shit is always sliding out of my ear and I have to constantly readjust).

That's all I want to know.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Formerly happyendingHDDVD

There is a thread over in the playstation forums discussing all headsets. I was waiting for the main guy to review it. A couple people are having some issues with them. I want this headset too.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...40183#M3440183
Old 11-03-2008, 05:31 PM

I have the headset & IMO, I think it's the same as any other headsets out there. It doesn't fall off my ear. The ear hook works great. But it is heavy & it irritates my ear after a few hours of play.

If the Jabra works for you then save your money. Use it for more movies or a game instead.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:14 PM

Here's my review from the Socom thread:

Quote:
I didn't get the Warhawk headset since it didn't look like anything special and I wanted the digital download version of Warhawk. I would have preferred to get the digital download version of Socom too (and every other game I buy if it were offered) but this headset looked worthwhile. I'm sure you just want a thumbs up or thumbs down, but since you made the mistake of asking, here's my full review:

Audio quality

This is going to take more use and experience to give you an educated response, but as of right now, I can't really say that I notice the high quality audio. A lot of people were talking during the two games I played. One person I noticed did not sound good, but everyone else sounded clear with no background noise or hissing or anything. So, I assume that one guy was doing something weird or using a different headset. During this time, I was actively trying to decide whether I thought there was a difference between this headset and my Logitech wired headset. Like I said, I don't think there was. But I may have to plug it in and try both. What I can say is that there are no noises associated with just using the headset - like hissing or pops or whatever - and that's something that many Bluetooth headsets suffer from. I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to be hearing with this HQ audio feature.

I have not spoken to anyone using it yet, so I don't know how well it picks up my voice.

Comfort/Fit

Comfort-wise, I don't like it. It doesn't hurt or anything, but it just doesn't stay locked into your ear - so when you move your head it can kind of wiggle if you move too fast. I'm probably more picky about this because I used a Shure cell phone headset for years which actually sticks into your ear canal (not just the outer ear, but the actual ear canal), which blocks outside noise from getting in and pretty much locks the headset into your ear very solidly (I highly recommend Shure headsets, btw). Since getting an iPhone, I've been using the new Jawbone bluetooth headset. And although that doesn't go into your ear canal, it still manages to stay firmly against you and doesn't move when you turn your head. The official PS3 headset bounces and wiggles when you turn your head and just feels like it's balancing on your ear. Like I said, it doesn't hurt and it isn't uncomfortable, it's just annoying that it's not 100% secure and it makes you conscience about turning your head too fast. All of that said, I'm sure 99% of people who use it will think I'm crazy or just the pickiest person alive (and the latter might be true).

I've still only played two full games using the headset. But, from what I've experienced, it seems good. Is it a revolution in VoIP and online gaming communication? No. Is it worth $50 as a standalone purchase? Probably. The charging stand, ability to use it as a desktop mic, and the fact that it's the official headset are worth it enough for me. It's obviously a no-brainer if you need a headset and are interested in Socom.
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/1247548-post683.html
Old 11-06-2008, 03:10 AM

I like it more than the Warhawk one. Not a huge upgrade like Shadow said, but it offers enough that it's worth the switch if you regularly use a headset/mic.