Belgium outlaws game rentals - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-31-2008, 01:00 PM

Default Belgium outlaws game rentals

This will only lead to two things. More game sales or more piracy. Personally I think it will lead to more piracy. Even though I don't usually rent games I hope other places don't follow this trend.

http://kotaku.com/5071986/belgium-cr...ongame-rentals

Quote:
In June, the Belgian Entertainment Association (representing game publishers, of course) managed to convince Belgian authorities to outlaw game rentals. On the grounds that renting games made a sizeable dent in game sales. Part of that deal was that, from June, video stores couldn't buy any new games to rent out, but could keep on renting out the ones they had until December. Well, with December approaching, Belgian paper De Standaard has confirmed that, come December 1, Belgians won't be able to rent video games. At all. Bet the publishers are happy with that one! Pity about the, you know. Gamers.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggumsmax View Post
This will only lead to two things. More game sales or more piracy. Personally I think it will lead to more piracy. Even though I don't usually rent games I hope other places don't follow this trend.

Thankfully we have something called democracy.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
Yeah, this would never happen in North America. There are some games that just aren't worth of a purchase. I want to play Force Unleashed but there is no way I'm paying $60 for a eight hour campaign with no online and little reason to replay it. I might bargain bin it later or rent it but I would never pay retail for it.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Yeah, this would never happen in North America. There are some games that just aren't worth of a purchase. I want to play Force Unleashed but there is no way I'm paying $60 for a eight hour campaign with no online and little reason to replay it. I might bargain bin it later or rent it but I would never pay retail for it.
Besides, if they outlaw games, I guess film is next?

What about rental chains like Blockbuster that depend on this for their buisiness?

Those evil Belgians... they share a border with the Dutch.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:

What's next, car rentals? Sheesh.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Besides, if they outlaw games, I guess film is next?

What about rental chains like Blockbuster that depend on this for their buisiness?

Those evil Belgians... they share a border with the Dutch.

You can't blame them really, they make such good beer! I bet the gaming lobby got the law makers drunk before the vote!
Old 11-01-2008, 04:40 AM

This is ridiculous. Are they TRYING to encourage piracy? Seriously even though it was an import I was renting, I thank GOD I was able to rent DBZ UB22. Why? It make it abundantly clear I was glad I didn't buy it. The game was a complete coaster.
Honestly if anything this will make people even more squeamish on game buying unless they've pre-played it to give it a real taste. Some times demo's just don't cut it. Although I'm more reserved on my purchases, checking reviews as well. I never rent any more to be frank. If I'm interested in said game I just wait for the price to drop. If it's short I wait even longer.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:58 AM

More like Kotaku fucked up again. They 're not outlawing gaming rentals, they 're cracking down on stores renting retail copies instead of rental ones.

http://kotaku.com/5071986/belgium-cr...rentals-update

The "we have democracy" comments are incredibly disrespectful by the way, especially if you don't know the whole story.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:26 AM

I think it will lead to an increase in piracy AND game sales. Ironically it just occurred to me that in order for piracy to happen on the PS3 in any large scale there would have to be a huge amount of Blu-ray burners sold.

Quote:
So do Belgium. Living in a democracy doesnt mean only laws you agree with get passed and no government is really going to care much about annoying gamers.