Xbox 360: Arcade or Pro? - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 442
Xbox 360: Arcade or Pro?

So I'm considering adding a 360 to my setup. The Arcade is pretty attractive because of the price tag, but I'm wondering how gimped it is for what I'd want to use it for, with not having a hard drive.

Basically, I will probably continue to buy most multiplatform games on PS3, but I may get some on 360 so I can play with my friends via XBL. I'd mainly use the 360 for exclusives. (Gears, maybe Halo 3, not sure what else at the moment, I am not into RPGs)

As I understand it, the Arcade comes with a wireless controller, and is basically like the Pro in every respect except:

- No Hard drive (256 mb memory card instead?)
- No headset
- No ethernet cable / HD cables

Now, I don't care about the ethernet or HD cables at all since I have plenty.

How much is the hard drive really neccesary for the 360? I probably won't be doing movie downloads, but I may be doing the Netflix stuff. I don't know that I'm all that interested in demos either, generally.

Is the headset proprietary or can I just use one of my own?

Is it worth buying the arcade and trying to scrounge a used hard drive and buy a headset? It seems like that would be a marginal savings.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Snadinator's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 19,563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeadFL View Post
So I'm considering adding a 360 to my setup. The Arcade is pretty attractive because of the price tag, but I'm wondering how gimped it is for what I'd want to use it for, with not having a hard drive.

Basically, I will probably continue to buy most multiplatform games on PS3, but I may get some on 360 so I can play with my friends via XBL. I'd mainly use the 360 for exclusives. (Gears, maybe Halo 3, not sure what else at the moment, I am not into RPGs)

As I understand it, the Arcade comes with a wireless controller, and is basically like the Pro in every respect except:

- No Hard drive (256 mb memory card instead?)
- No headset
- No ethernet cable / HD cables

Now, I don't care about the ethernet or HD cables at all since I have plenty.

How much is the hard drive really neccesary for the 360? I probably won't be doing movie downloads, but I may be doing the Netflix stuff. I don't know that I'm all that interested in demos either, generally.

Is the headset proprietary or can I just use one of my own?

Is it worth buying the arcade and trying to scrounge a used hard drive and buy a headset? It seems like that would be a marginal savings.

You could always get a 20GB HDD cheap off ebay and buy the Chatpad which bundles with a headset. Better yet, get the new Xbox Live Gold Suscription kit for $69 that comes with 12+1 month gold subscription, a chatpad, headset and Public Gotham Racing 4.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Pyrochaos's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,059
Default

I'd buy the arcade, then get a 20g either through MS for $20, or off Ebay.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
You could always get a 20GB HDD cheap off ebay and buy the Chatpad which bundles with a headset. Better yet, get the new Xbox Live Gold Suscription kit for $69 that comes with 12+1 month gold subscription, a chatpad, headset and Public Gotham Racing 4.
What does that subscription normally cost? Sounds like a good deal.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Pyrochaos's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,059
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeadFL View Post
What does that subscription normally cost? Sounds like a good deal.
XBL 1 year = $50
PGR4 is about $30
Chatpad = $30
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrochaos View Post
I'd buy the arcade, then get a 20g either through MS for $20, or off Ebay.
Details on this? I can't find it on google.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Snadinator's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 19,563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeadFL View Post
What does that subscription normally cost? Sounds like a good deal.
About $10-19 less. It's a steal actually.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Liqwid's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeadFL View Post
What does that subscription normally cost? Sounds like a good deal.
$7.99 per month
$19.99 for three months
$49.99 for a year's subscription

Also, with a purchase of a 360, you get one free month of Xbox Live.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Pyrochaos's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,059
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeadFL View Post
Details on this? I can't find it on google.
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/13/mi...y-card-or-20/2

It's probably not effective till the NXE comes out (Nov. 19th)

Edit:

The site is up and running:

http://www.xboxstorageupgrade.com/hh...ssLocale=en_US
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Snadinator's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 19,563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeadFL View Post
What does that subscription normally cost? Sounds like a good deal.
Xbox Live Gold Pack

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Live-...303528&sr=8-19

20GB HD for $32 on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-X-Box-...d=p3286.c0.m14

Just make sure to either get the Official Wireless Adapter or get a Wireless Ethernet Bridge/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Xbox 360 Price Cut Official - Arcade $279, 20GB $299, 60GB $349, $120GB $449 BrendonL Gaming Smackdown 93 07-16-2008 02:51 AM
Xbox 360 Arcade question The Bandit HD DVD and Video Game Consoles 4 01-05-2008 02:20 AM
Xbox 360 Arcade Questions cathexist HD DVD and Video Game Consoles 7 10-24-2007 03:58 PM
Xbox 360 Arcade unboxed james Gaming Smackdown 21 10-15-2007 09:30 AM
Limited Time Half Price Arcade Titles on Xbox LIVE Arcade this Weekend Master X Game Room 7 09-05-2007 01:39 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off