Fallout 3 Freeze Issues - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-28-2008, 01:52 PM

Default Fallout 3 Freeze Issues

So I got the game last night at midnight, played for about an hour and then had to go to bed. I get up today and restart with a new character after getting a feel for SPECIAL.

Now it seems like I can't go 20 minutes without the game completely freezing my entire XBox at random times when dialogue begins. Is anyone else having this issue, or is my Xbox's problem? (Haven't made it out of my 10th birthday party yet today, although I did last night)

I'd appreciate some feedback so I can take the proper measures (either let Bethesda know OR keep an eye on my box).

Thanks

UPDATE: Spent the last hour playing Dead Space, GTA IV, and NHL 09. Not a single freezing problem whatsoever. Also, I notice that the freezing in Fallout only occurs when I first start to talk to someone and the game zooms in on them and the dialogue subtitle box opens. I am going to try disabling subtitles and see if that helps.
Could it be a compatibility issue with the old Launch Xbox's (mines is already 3 years old basically).

UPDATE 2: Tried first clearing the harddrive cache via the xxLBRBxx code, booted up and loaded, crashed nearly immediately. Then tried turning off the subtitles for dialogue, seemed like it helped (lasted longer than usual, though the time frequency with which these freezes happen is getting shorter) but then about 5 minutes later is locked up again. Sometimes it just holds the image, sometimes the screen goes gray, but when it locks up I have to physically reboot the machine because even the Guide button doesn't work.
Anyone have any ideas?

UPDATE 3: Called the store, they offered to swap discs. I don't have a car, so I figured I'd fiddle around with the game a few more times before getting my bike out on a cold day. Damndest thing is, no more freezing for the moment (only been about 15 minutes, but I finally completed the entire B-day party and am on my way to the reactor room). The only thing I can guess is that I kept trying to initiate a conversation with someone right as Andy was about to freak out and slice the cake. Not sure that makes sense as a cause for crashing, but I'll keep everyone updated.

Do you guys think just for safety precautions I should return this game disc and get a new one, or wait it out for a few days and see if I get more crashes? Not sure how long I have to return the disc for another without them suspecting it was my fault the disc got messed up (though there is nary a scratch on it).

Last edited by ElwoodJD; 10-28-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:10 PM

IGN had some issues with the game crashing to. Not sure if it is what you are experiencing or not though. Since its not happening with other games then it could also be the disk. If you bought it locally you could always swap it out for another one and see if the problem still exists.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/924/924165p5.html

Quote:
Fallout 3 is such an engaging and fantastic experience that it's easy to overlook its few minor flaws, but they do exist and should be mentioned. With any game of this size and scope, you can likely expect a few bugs to slip through the testing process and that is the case here. I had the game crash a couple times, amongst other small bugs. In all of these cases, reloading the game has been enough to fix the errors and nothing was frustrating or detrimental enough to give me thought of not recommending the game.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:22 PM

Bethesda is notorious for having bugs with their games, so if it crashes, don't worry about the system first.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 10-28-2008, 02:29 PM

Elwood,

What was your Character like, have you tried to make a new character that is different than the current crash character? Try making one that is similar to the initial one you had and see if that does it.

Certainly hope this isn't a widespread issue.. this game is gonna rock (I hope)
Old 10-28-2008, 04:14 PM
HDD Contributor

I smell patches on the in bound for both versions of the game, since they both seem to have problems.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwoodJD View Post
Do you guys think just for safety precautions I should return this game disc and get a new one, or wait it out for a few days and see if I get more crashes? Not sure how long I have to return the disc for another without them suspecting it was my fault the disc got messed up (though there is nary a scratch on it).
I would if they already said they would swap it out with no questions asked. I've scene several people having issues with certain games and it just ends up being a faulty disk. They swap it out and have no issues anymore. Worst thing that would happen is you get the new disk and the problem is still there but if it fixed it then it would be well worth it.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
I smell patches on the in bound for both versions of the game, since they both seem to have problems.
A game of this scope cannot be bugless. Oblivion had a gamestopper for the Fighters Guild. I couldn't finish it until it was patched.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:05 PM

yeah i guess when i get ahold of a car tomorrow ill drive down and swap it out...can't hurt. However, now 2 hours in and havent had a single glitch since the birthday party so for now I'm chocking it up to I found a bug. No biggie, since everything else since then has been amazingly fun.

Oblivion with guns in a fair comparison, if you also add in that its Oblivion with guns, a cooler atmosphere, better skill system (i never loved the use it to improve it), better voice acting (though not perfect), and much more fun combat (hitting that same buttons to swing that same sword over and over got kinda old, no matter how magical it was).

Anyone reading this thread still considering the game but worried about bugs, don't be, you'll get around them and this game is a MUST BUY imho.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:07 PM

Default I had a faulty disc

I had the same problem, the game would freeze about 10 minutes or so into it and it completely stopped reading the disc, i literally turned my xbox on and off like 20 times because when u get the unreadable disc error it says turn your xbox off then back on yada yada it worked a couple of times and then the disc completely stopped reading. I took it back to gamestop no problems and the new disc works like a charm. Faulty disc for sure. Just return and get a new one if this happens!
Old 10-28-2008, 08:29 PM
HDD Contributor

Hey, question for PS3 owners. Is the VATS system disabled until you get out of the Vault? I'm not very far into the game, only just at the stage where you're starting to make your exit, but so far, even though the game says "Push R2 to activate VATS" (or something to that effect) and I pull on the R2 trigger, absolutely nothing happens.