A return to PC gaming = Disappointment - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-25-2008, 11:14 PM

Default A return to PC gaming = Disappointment

I just needed to bitch and get this off my chest.

Last month I slapped down $1400 on a new PC.
Radeon 3870x2 Video card
E8500 3.16 Duo Core processor
600GB HD
4 GB Ram
HDDVD/BR combo drive
Windows Vista 64

How quickly one forgets the frustration of patches, driver updates, and the Blue Screen Of Death. I have been playing games all night one day, then the next my damn comp doesnt even recognize my DVD drive. Then none of my games load. I get the BSOD and have to reinstall my video drivers again.
I picked up Crysis Warhead today , and have had that fucking game crash to windows, flash artifacts everywhere, have my screen saver activate while playing, reduce resolution in game, etc. Its been a fucking nightmare !

Everytime I power this thing up I wonder if my games will play. At least with my 360 I know it'll turn on and play what I put in it. And for $1400 I could have 7 360s give me the RROD. I'm pretty pissed off and disappointed with my return to PC gaming and this has just reaffirmed my decision to stick with consoles in the future.

I think it may be Vista and its 64 bit OS as most games are made to run off of a 32 bit system.

If anybody has had similar issues or frustrations, please chime in and LMK I'm not the only one who feels this way.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:04 AM

Hmmm, that sucks sorry to hear about your issues... Did you just set this puppy up? Did you update to all the latest drivers? Check for game updates?

There is a little more work with PC gaming, but the pay off is much higher quality... Though now with motion control consoles have an advantage in game play options
Old 10-26-2008, 12:25 AM

yeah all the drivers are updated for the video card, and games. I'm gonna call the place I bought it from and get them to install Windows XP Media center I think. I know that OS is stable at least.

It also seems that DirectX 10 has little to be seen in regards to actual detailing. Nothing you'd really notice playing a FPS anyway.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:32 AM

Is this a custom build or from a vendor? I've been hearing that Custom Built PCs with Vista for some reason just aren't agreeing with it. I don't know why. My Dell XPS 410 runs Vista and games fantastic. And I've bumped up the power supply, video card, CPU, and added additional RAM and HDD space and it's still rock solid playing Crysis and Crysis Warhead.

EDIT: All Microsoft Games for Windows branded games are tested to work with 64-bit OSs. So that shouldn't be an issue. What will be an issue is that if you drop down to Windows XP. You can kiss some of your RAM good bye as 32-bit XP can only use 4GB of total memory and that's including your video RAM. Make sure your XP is also 64-bit.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:57 AM

My home built desktop runs vista 64 bit and is fine, so I'm not sure what the issues is for you. I would humbly suggest spending a little more time working out the issue, making sure your game is set up properly (i.e. turn off anything like EAX audio support and stuff).
Old 10-26-2008, 02:14 AM

Sorry to hear that man. That sucks hard.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:24 AM

I think I found the problem......*sigh*
After trying everything else (HDMI, swapping out differant adapter plugs, switching monitors) I decided to hook up my comp to my old 17" CRT monitor. I was running the PC on my 32 Toshiba TV/Monitor and this is where I was having problems. Just after my last post I went to play Spore and the screen went black and kept flickering 'VGA' in the bottom right hand corner when in fact it should have said 'XGA' . I also noticed in Catalyst that it said my monitor was 1080 which in fact it wasn't. Also a maximum refresh of 30hz when it should have been 60. So I think the issue was that the video card didnt recognize my LCD TV as a dedicated monitor (hence all the display issues).

So far I've been running Warhead without a problem now for over an hour. knock on wood, I think I've solved it. That being said it sucks going to an older monitor half the size
Old 10-26-2008, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost271 View Post
I think I found the problem......*sigh*
After trying everything else (HDMI, swapping out differant adapter plugs, switching monitors) I decided to hook up my comp to my old 17" CRT monitor. I was running the PC on my 32 Toshiba TV/Monitor and this is where I was having problems. Just after my last post I went to play Spore and the screen went black and kept flickering 'VGA' in the bottom right hand corner when in fact it should have said 'XGA' . I also noticed in Catalyst that it said my monitor was 1080 which in fact it wasn't. Also a maximum refresh of 30hz when it should have been 60. So I think the issue was that the video card didnt recognize my LCD TV as a dedicated monitor (hence all the display issues).

So far I've been running Warhead without a problem now for over an hour. knock on wood, I think I've solved it. That being said it sucks going to an older monitor half the size

Why don't you try hooking it up to your projector?
Old 10-26-2008, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterDance View Post
Why don't you try hooking it up to your projector?
That was going to be next actually but given the circumstances with the LCD TV, I'm thinking I'm going to leave the big screen for my 360