Official Fallout 3 Review Thread - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-24-2008, 03:07 PM

Default Official Fallout 3 Review Thread

Please note this is just for reviews. No smackdown since this game is on both consoles. If you want to discuss minor differences between the two console versions or why the PC version is vastly superior then there is already a thread in game smackdown for that.

OXM has given it a 10/10 (360 version). They say the game has some minor issues but they are nothing major.

http://www.n4g.com/News-217464.aspx

Quote:
"Our 40-ish hours of game time over four days at Bethesda's Maryland HQ went by on fast-forward. We often forgot to eat, and we begrudged bathroom breaks. Games this captivating don't come along often. Between its engrossing story, ginormous world, well-crafted RPG side, and white-knuckle FPS combat, Fallout 3 completely, utterly gives you your $60 worth."
Partial scan of the review

http://img91.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgkj5.jpg
Old 10-24-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggumsmax View Post
Please note this is just for reviews. No smackdown since this game is on both consoles. If you want to discuss minor differences between the two console versions or why the PC version is vastly superior then there is already a thread in game smackdown for that.

OXM has given it a 10/10 although I am not sure which version they reviewed. They say the game has some minor issues but they are nothing major.

http://www.n4g.com/News-217464.aspx

Partial scan of the review

http://img91.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgkj5.jpg

I can give a good guess
Old 10-24-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
I can give a good guess
Yeah, I edited my OP because of my stupidity. Yes, I am human and make mistakes and have no problem admitting them.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I edited my OP because of my stupidity. Yes, I am human and make mistakes and have no problem admitting them.
I noticed you edited it because when I hit quote, it brought up the thread reply screen and it was no longer there. It was too tempting so I hit back, copied that phrase and then hit forward on my browser to paste it back in.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:16 PM

PSM3 gave it a 9/10.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 10-24-2008, 03:18 PM

Swedish PCGamer has reviewed it (PC Version) and has been less generous giving it a 81% and basically said its Oblivion with guns.

http://fallout3.wordpress.com/2008/1...w-from-sweden/

Quote:
I just got the October issue of swedish PC gamer and they have a review of the PC version of fallout 3.
In short:
score: 81%
Pros:
VATS
SPECIAL
Megaton at night
Cons:
A feeling of lifeless backdrops
Lifeless/stale Characters
To much on a too small area

Its Written by Joakim Bennet, who has proclaimed love for Fallout many times over the years he has been at PC gamer sweden.

Other short stuff(not quotes):
Vats is great, realtime combat isnt. The realtime combat (damage/hits etc) doesnt seem to be in sync with whats happening on the screen.
HtH combat in 3rd person is just as bad as in oblivion
Bennet misses the world map, random encunters, the empty wastes.
AI isn’t great. Enemies running in circles and no reaction from NPC that gets hot from a long distance is quite common.
You can pick up anything that isn’t bolted to the floor.
The SPECIAL system and Perks works great

He also writes about four important points and compare them to the originals:

The Fallout atmosphere
The story
Combat
Perspective(transition to 3d)
Bennet writes that the game delivers on these four points but not all the way.

Heres some short translated segments (English isn´t perfect though ):

“I`m going to take the edge of this review right away. Fallout 3 IS “Oblivion with guns”, No matter what i said earlier. There, I said it, now theres no return.”

“…And everything would be wonderful but that feeling that the game is missing something. I cant quite define it, Call it a feeling, call it whatever you want, but when the gates of vault 101 lies far behind me, the eyes have adapted to the light and 15 hours have passed i start to think. About hopes that have fallen short.
Because in fallout 3 i get most things served on a silver plate right away. Bethesda has tried to fit as much content as possible on a little area. One second im running into a pack of Radscorpions while 30 meters further ahead theres a little settler town. Around the corner i meet some slavers with their captured slaves and beyond the hill some raiders have set up camp. A few minutes of running brings me to some ruins swarming with lethal deathclaws that wants to eat me. Its compressed, maximized and anonymous all at once. It feels like a huge orgy where no ones want to actually “do it”. A lot of bumping and grinding but no friction and no excitement. Many parts but they don’t paint a whole picture.”

“Fallout 3 is an uneven game if I´ve ever seen one”

“I manage to “aquire” a house that I decoratedin pre-war style, and my very own robot-butler, Wadsworth, that always greets me with a delighted cry and calls me madame. But when i sit down in an old dusty sofa and listen to Maybe by The Inkspots on my Pipboy 3000, i notice how soulless my own character is. Lifeless eyes, skin that looks like plastic. Fake. Phony. Bethesda still haven’t managed to instill life into many if the people that inhabit their universe.”

He doesn’t like the voice actors but the dialog is good:

“the dialogs will piss people off, but mostly because they are recorded with voice actors of extremely varying quality. Had some of the lines been put into the original games or vice versa, no one would have complained.”

“… But first and foremost, the game doesn’t let go of you, despite flaws. the story always makes you want to take a few steps more, and after every disappointment there will be a moment of awe. The details, the at times stunning landscape and the possibility to change the main characters look in all eternity.”

“Its hard to let go of my baggage as an old Fallout player, but when i sit down with the third part of the game i really try to stop comparing the games, and at once it feels much better.”
Old 10-24-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Swedish PCGamer has reviewed it (PC Version) and has been less generous giving it a 81% and basically said its Oblivion with guns.

http://fallout3.wordpress.com/2008/1...w-from-sweden/
I get the feeling it was impossible to ever satisfy this one unless the game was played with an isometric view.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:21 PM

I must say I am truly happy to be a gamer. There are so many amazing games being released across both platforms this year its incredible.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsions View Post
I must say I am truly happy to be a gamer. There are so many amazing games being released across both platforms this year its incredible.
Reserve your LE lunch box today!
Old 10-24-2008, 04:33 PM

My plan is to pick up Fallout 3 when the GOTY edition hits with a price-drop and the DLC.

I'm excited to play it, but I have too many games at the moment.