FarCry2: Any word of a FOV fix? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-23-2008, 02:38 PM

Default FarCry2: Any word of a Widescreen/FOV fix?

Haven't seen this posted yet on the HDD forums, but I wanted to know if anyone has heard news regarding an official response from Ubi regarding FarCry2's widescreen cropping (ala Bioshock) and whether they will be releasing a patch to allow manual FOV choice. Personally, I think this cropping for widescreen displays is a joke; not sure I agree that it makes me nauscious but it does look ridiculously zoomed like your perspective is not a first-person eye but actually a perspective which is a few inches in front of and lower than eye level.

Examples here (the cropped portion in red), link to Ubi forum regarding issue below:

Thread: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/t...6911036696/p/1

Last edited by ElwoodJD; 10-23-2008 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:42 PM

Lazy fucking development. Same shit happened in Bioshock. The later acknowledged it and made a patch. I hope UBISoft is listening. The internet is great for this kind of thing. Makes word of mouth spread fast.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:55 PM

not sure what i'm looking at
Old 10-23-2008, 02:59 PM

Yeah, Considering this one was one of my most-anticipated titles this fall - reading about this issue this morning pissed me off. How hard is it to get the size correct and the widescreen ratio right?

How hard?

About as hard as I can hit them in the wallet by not buying it?
(I talk tough, but I will still buy it.. I'm level-creating-whipped )
Old 10-23-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApBtFusion View Post
not sure what i'm looking at
In creating the widescreen field of vision, instead of showing you more of the game world with more graphics on the edges of the 4:3 image, they just took the full 4:3 image, cut off the top and bottom to get a 16:9 aspect ratio, and then put it in the game. As a result the FOV looks zoomed in, plus its just a waste to play on a widescreen tv as you actually see LESS not more than on a 4:3 shitty old tv. For PCs that's one thing (all the different sized monitors), but people playing HD consoles should get true widescreen, not cropped 4:3
Old 10-26-2008, 01:24 PM

BUMP!

Seriously, though, is there any word that Ubisoft has actually given any thought to this issue? Or should I assume that unlike 2k, Ubi is just going to say it is the way it is, buy it or don't, but we aren't going to waste time fixing it?

This game has me intrigued, but I hate the zoomed feel so I can't justify $60 for it just now.