Is Haze even worth $10? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-22-2008, 09:03 AM

Default Is Haze even worth $10?

Noticed the huge sale at Gamefly going on and what stood out was Haze.
Now I know it's gotten really terrible reviews, but is it really that bad?
I'm thinking of getting it just to see how bad it is if that's the case.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:30 AM

Only played the demo, but I'd say it's certainly worth $10
Old 10-22-2008, 09:49 AM

You can't go wrong with any game for $10. I mean it's marginally more then renting it.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:27 AM

I think Haze's issue was that it was over-hyped and didn't deliver on the over-hype. I don't think it was a terrible game (but I don't seem to have an issue playing crap games - conflict:denied ops anyone?). The one thing I remember hearing over and over was how annoying the Mantel Soldiers were in the demo, how cliche - but that was actually the point.. they wanted you to be the smart one, you to want to leave Mantel force and find reality. I noticed similar dialogue in Gears videos I've seen and I wonder why it doesn't get picked on that way? Regardless, I expect that the game would be a solid 60 to 75% not as good as Army of Two, but better than Timeshift.

I was going to pick this up yesterday from gamefly, along with 2 copies of Unreal TourneyIII (so my buddy and I could play custom levels) for 17.00 and what I consider a real stinker... Turning Point Fall of Liberty for 14.00. Now that's a game I'd be asking that question about - but I figured it might be worth playing for 14.00...

Gamefly won't ship to Canada though.. Arrrgh!
Old 10-22-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasp View Post
I think Haze's issue was that it was over-hyped and didn't deliver on the over-hype. I don't think it was a terrible game (but I don't seem to have an issue playing crap games - conflict:denied ops anyone?). The one thing I remember hearing over and over was how annoying the Mantel Soldiers were in the demo, how cliche - but that was actually the point.. they wanted you to be the smart one, you to want to leave Mantel force and find reality. I noticed similar dialogue in Gears videos I've seen and I wonder why it doesn't get picked on that way? Regardless, I expect that the game would be a solid 60 to 75% not as good as Army of Two, but better than Timeshift.

Gamefly won't ship to Canada though.. Arrrgh!
You develop a liking for Marcus, Dom, Cole Train and Bairn in Gears. They also have some funny sayings or time stuff greatly. Pick up a rifle, Marcus says, "Sweeeeet". Blow off a Locust head, "Hell yeah".

Or in one scene when Dom tells Marcus how dangerous going underground could be, Marcus says "Yeah!, could get bad... don't tell Bairn though, he's scared shitless as is".

It's just my opinion but they don't come off as obnoxious... they just come off as cool guys. I only played the demo of Haze but the other marines in it felt like obnoxious Jarheads...
Old 10-22-2008, 11:39 AM

The other game I mentioned Conflict:denied ops - those guys could be nominated for some serious douchebaggery awards. The whole game was a badly executed Cliche, and I figured that it was par for the course, the rest of the game was also poorly done. Army of two has that same mentality but not quite as bad. I've never been in the military, but it's difficult for me to believe that once you enlist, your IQ goes down 40 points.
The old and wisened sniper angrily says:
'you're reckless and inexperienced' and the young/loud machine gunner's best response is 'and you're one limp d*** muthaf******'.
I think that Haze was trying to play up the obnoxiousness, but I didn't play it.. so I can't really say how bad it was...
Old 10-22-2008, 11:43 AM

Save your $10. If you're just morbidly curious, go rent it somewhere for less, plow through it, and return it. Game's not worth the plastic it's made from.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:43 PM

Isn't it almost $10 to rent next gen games? It was nearly $10 to rent Force Unleashed from Hollywood.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
You develop a liking for Marcus, Dom, Cole Train and Bairn in Gears. They also have some funny sayings or time stuff greatly. Pick up a rifle, Marcus says, "Sweeeeet". Blow off a Locust head, "Hell yeah".

Or in one scene when Dom tells Marcus how dangerous going underground could be, Marcus says "Yeah!, could get bad... don't tell Bairn though, he's scared shitless as is".

It's just my opinion but they don't come off as obnoxious... they just come off as cool guys. I only played the demo of Haze but the other marines in it felt like obnoxious Jarheads...
The really sad part is that in Haze they're SUPPOSED to be douche bags. It's kind of the whole point of the game / story. Those guys aren't your cool buddies, they're drugged up psychos with a few screws loose. They act like a bunch of drunk frat boys for a reason.

That said the whole game is pretty medicore. I agree that the gears chars are more likeable, though I think that issue is kind of wash considering they're supposed to be likeable while the haze chars aren't.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:46 PM

I got it from gamefly for like $17 like two months ago, beat it.. hated it, and traded it in. Don't regret any of it, but you can behold what a terrible game it really is. It's not unplayable though, its... just.. sloppy development.