Your gaming roots? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-20-2008, 10:23 PM

Default Your gaming roots?

Just wondering where everyone started in their gaming careers.

Console: Atari 2600 -> NES -> Sega Genesis -> N64 -> PS2 (1st) / GC (2nd) / Xbox (3rd) -> PS3 (1st) / Wii (2nd)

Handheld: Gameboy -> GB Color -> GBA -> GBASP -> NDSlim

This includes PC gaming that started back on the Amiga :P

I plan on getting a 360 by the end of next summer. Not enough time to game on 2 consoles and a PC as is in grad school

So where are your rooots?
Old 10-20-2008, 10:27 PM

Atari! Which one I don't know, I was pretty young -> NES -> SNES + Genesis -> PS1 -> PS2 -> Gamecube -> PS3 + 360.

My first handheld is actually a PSP. I'm not even sure why I skipped previous handhelds...

Definitely get yourself a 360 as soon as you're done with your grad work. Anyone who skips the 360 will have missed out big time.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:27 PM

Mine is pretty close to yours. Add Intellivision, Gamegear, LYNX, Virtual Boy, PSP, Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, 32X Sega CD, SNES..... Had almost all of them between my brother and I except Turbo Grafix, 3DO and Jaguar.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenDude View Post
Atari! Which one I don't know, I was pretty young -> NES -> SNES + Genesis -> PS1 -> PS2 -> Gamecube -> PS3 + 360.

My first handheld is actually a PSP. I'm not even sure why I skipped previous handhelds...

Definitely get yourself a 360 as soon as you're done with your grad work. Anyone who skips the 360 will have missed out big time.
Yea there are some select games I want on it...but I have enough work on my hands as is haha. I don't care about the online really, I get enough of that now and can get that w/ new games so I'll be able to get a lot of games cheap lol.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:52 PM

I remember owning an Intellivision (Bump 'n Jump FTW) but I didn't actual own any other consoles until SNES. Then I rolled on to the PS1, PS2, Gamecube, and PS3. A gameboy sp? was thrown in there somewhere as well. I still managed to play plenty of NES and N64. Very limited exposure to Sega machines and Xboxes, although not for any particular reason.

Edit--Completely forgot I owned a Wii for a few months last year.

Last edited by HuskerGuy; 10-21-2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:13 PM

Atari 2600 > NES > Super Nintendo > N64 > PS1 > Sega Dreamcast > PS2 > Xbox > Gamecube > Xbox 360

Nothing will ever beat the memories I have playing the old 8-BIT NES. It's the best console of all time!
Old 10-20-2008, 11:36 PM

My parents were too cheap to get us videogames when I was young (6 kids will do that). So I had to use friends for their consoles. 1 friend had an Atari, but we didn't play it much so I never got "into" it that much. However my best friend as a kid had a NES and I'd play at his house even when he wasn't home, I'd just come over n ask his mom to play his NES. They were loaded so it's ok lol. So yea for me it was definately the NES.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:51 PM

Commodore 64 Space Invaders>Atari>Nintendo>Super Nintendo>Gameboy>Genesis>Playstation>Xbox>PC MMORPG>Xbox 360>PS3
Old 10-21-2008, 12:27 AM

Technically, my gaming life started with a old PC playing Police Squad*.

My first console was a broken Atari 2600, that only worked if you wiggled the power cord. It lasted about 2 weeks, but I was hooked.

My friend had an NES that I use to go to play. We played Mario, Yo Noid, TMNT, TMNT 2, and of course Mario 3.

He then got a SNES, and we played the shit out of that. Especially, Mario Kart and Super Street Fighter II Turbo.

I got a Genesis, and I played the shit out of that. Though, I preferred the SNES.

You see, I was getting addicted to Square Games back then. I was utterly in love with Final Fantasy 3, and awaited Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG feverishly. Granted, we rented Mario RPG and beat it within the rental...but what freaking fun. Chrono Trigger I wouldn't get to play for a few years later. As I moved from Annadale, VA to MD. I would later get a SNES, and my wait was worth it. Chrono Trigger was so fucking good. I had a blast.

Then the next batch came out. I want a Saturn, but I was given a PSX instead. I should probably have been thankful...seeing as what would happen. However, I wanted to play Virtua Fighter and Panzer Dragoon. PSX didn't have those. Instead, it had some game called Tekken and Crash Bandicoot. What the fuck was that? I would find out, and the seed of my Tekken love was planted. I got Twisted Metal, Tekken, Wild Arms, Resident Evil, Suikoden, and Bushido Blade...and I was hooked. The love was all over the place, and I had a blast. Then the big one came, and Final Fantasy 7 was released. You were a freaking loser if you weren't playing this game. Needless to say, I was given the right choice for gaming.

Now, my growth as a gamer lead me to the area of loving games. I didn't care what console...never occurred to me to hate a console. I played them all...and did it often. However, I want a Dreamcast. I wanted it so bad. Seeing those Sonic images, and witnessing the beauty that was DOA 2...man, it was awesome. I got it, and freaking loved it. I was still supporting my PSX...but I was smitten with the Dreamcast. I could go online, share saves, talk in a chat room...I couldn't do that with the PSX. Online gaming? I would witness this in 1999 on a console??? It was fantastic! It was so ahead of the curve, it was ridiculous. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 had a level editor...and you can share them? No fucking way!?! Yes, you could...and it was fun.

The excitement the Dreamcast gave was like the excitement of my first Atari game, or Snes game...or PSX. It was just great. Then I would learn that people just didn't know what the Dreamcast could do. I would learn that people didn't know about the amazing Jet Set Radio, Skies of Arcadia, Resident Evil Code Veronica, Quake 3...they didn't know how great these were. It wasn't out there...then the PS2 came and killed any good news the DC had, with empty promises. Clips of Final Fantasy 8 Ballroom Scene, the creepy Old Man, The Bouncer...shit like that. It bugged me.

Well, the DC died, and I had to move over to the PS2 to continue my gaming habits. True, it had the amazing Twisted Metal: Black. Which was finally made by the original creators and not the terrible 989 Studios. So, it was like I never left. Tekken Tag was out...it was okay. Then I started to miss that feeling. The PS2 was just "old". It wasn't an advancement at all like the DC was. It was just "prettier".

That was when the announcement of the Xbox came. It promised Online, HDD, and Sega Games!!! This was what I wanted...Smilebit, and Online Gaming. Those two things were the future, and those were what I needed to maintain my love for gaming. I needed to feel that momentum again. Something the PS2 just didn't bring.

Granted, I got the Xbox and I would love the shit out of Panzer Dragoon Orta, Shenmue 2, Jet Set Radio Future, Gun Valkyrie, and Halo...but it sort of stopped there. I played some Online, but it took awhile. It didn't give me that "satisfaction".

So, I left the console world...and went PC. I would catch up with games like Half Life(played it before, but hadn't beaten it), Quake 2, Quake 3, No One Lives Forever, Alien Vs. Predator, Return To Castle Wolfenstein, Solider of Fortune, Jedi Knight...etc. I was having a blast. I could do all the things the Dreamcast could, and i felt that momentum again...it just didn't seem as "cool".

Anyway, I migrated back over with the 360. Condemned brought me back, and I've been searching for that "feeling" it gave me ever since. Oblivion came close, but still not as fresh. Gears has sparked it, but no where near the level that Condemned did.

I own all three, just so I can look for that feeling again.

*I forget the actual title. But it was a game where you played a cop, and you had to move about the station, doing shit. Don't remember much...I was like 4 years old.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:37 AM

Commodor 64 => Nintendo => ........... => PC (starting with doom and duke 3D) .......... 2002 => x-box/PC => x-box 360/PC => 360/Wii/DreamCast/PC = today.

Last edited by crazzeto; 10-21-2008 at 09:31 AM.