Users reporting issues with PSP Brite (3000) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-20-2008, 07:42 PM

Default Users reporting issues with PSP Brite (3000)

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/20/so...screen-issues/

Quote:
Over on the official PlayStation forums, owners of Sony's revamped PSP Brite are in a tizzy over what many have reported as prominent screen interlacing during video playback and gameplay. The PSP-3000 uses a new high-contrast, low-latency screen that eliminates the ghosting/smearing associated with older PSP revisions, but appears to introduce a new issue of visible scanlines and notably jagged edges on moving objects. One poster provided comparison photos that illustrate the problem.

We unboxed our PSP Brite to test some games and see if we encountered the same problem. Sure enough, in both FMV and gameplay, there is a noticable offset between the two video fields comprising the on-screen image. The included Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters looks significantly more "pixelated" on the PSP-3000 versus on our PSP-2000, as did other games we tested, including God of War: Chains of Olympus and WipEout Pulse. Additionally, scanlines are visible simply when navigating the unit's XMB.

The problem is slightly less noticable when the new Wide Color Space option is turned off. We contacted SCEA for comment on this apparent hardware issue and were told that the company is "looking into this" and will get back to us as soon as possible. We'll update this post when we hear more. In the meantime, let us know in comments if you're experiencing similar issues with the PSP Brite.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:48 PM

I'm happy with my PSP-2000.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:56 PM
Formerly happyendingHDDVD

Shit I'm still happy with my 1000! At the rate they are upgrading these now I'm waiting for a PSP2.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Though SCEA is still "looking into the problem," Sony's Japanese headquarters (SCEI) has released a statement describing the PSP-3000 (a.k.a. PSP Brite) scanline issues as being part and parcel of the new hardware. "PSP-3000 has a new LCD device with vastly improved picture quality, achieving a more natural and vivid picture than older models," said the statement (via Engadget Japan). "By improving LCD response time to reduce ghosting, the horizontal-line phenomenon becomes more visible."

Turns out, phenomenon means "no fix in sight." According to Sony, "Since this phenomenon is caused by hardware characteristics, there is no plan to fix it with system software update." We'll be interested to see if Sony of America (SCEA) has anything different to say.
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/21/sc...-plans-to-fix/
Old 10-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Watcher of stances

thread cleaned up, this isn't 'smackdown' nor 'reply to smackdown with more smackdown'

i hope Sony can fix this, the visual results are horrible.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:59 PM

I never had a problem with the PQ of the PSP2k, so I don't see going up to the 3000 as necessary. I'm not sure what other features that the PSP3k has but I'm satisfied with mine. The main reason I liked the 2K over the 3K was the ability to play it on your TV via composite cable.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:05 PM

Dang, I was going to jump into the PSP with this model. I've been dying to play Crisis Core and God of War: CoO.

I'll have to check out one of the demo displays to see if it's really bad.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:23 PM
Formerly mgillespie

Clearly a STILL image showing interlacing is no big deal. try taking a digital photo of your television. Clearly you cannot portray a moving image with a still image.

I would have hoped at least Joytstiq understood how interlacing works, even if some of the posters here clearly don't.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
Dang, I was going to jump into the PSP with this model. I've been dying to play Crisis Core and God of War: CoO.

I'll have to check out one of the demo displays to see if it's really bad.
Now might be the time to get a 2000 instead if they go down in price