Free PS3 MMO FreeRealms - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-20-2008, 07:12 PM

Default Free PS3 MMO FreeRealms

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/10/20/...ns-freerealms/

Quote:
Sony Online Entertainment has promised a number of MMO games that will appear on PC and PS3. However, none of them have come to fruition quite yet. The most likely candidate for release appears to be FreeRealms, SOE's innovative MMO game. The game is almost reaching beta on the PC, and from what we've seen so far, it's shaping up to be a fun way for casual gamers to jump online into a safe online world. Best of all, FreeRealms' big gimmick: it's free.

This isn't meant to be a World of Warcraft-killer, and we think that's a good thing. By aiming for younger players (and their families), FreeRealms has crafted an intuitive, easy-to-read and use interface that looks charming. The UI takes advantage of easily identifiable icons, and the screen real estate is wisely used. This is great for the console player too: the large icons can be easily selected with a PS3 controller.

For better or for worse, FreeRealms tries to appeal to many by featuring a variety of mini-games. Unlike other MMO games, your character isn't tied to one class. You can be a Ninja, Explorer, Wizard -- whatever you want. In fact, you can change your class at any time, so that you're able to tackle each situation appropriately. The freedom to change classes gave the development team at SOE the opportunity to create a wide variety of gameplay modes, from racing to combat, to card battling and cooking. A universal experience points system makes it so that doing anything in the game will let you level up any aspect of your character, in any class mode.

Those that want a casual, family-friendly experience in FreeRealms will get it easily. There are tons of places to go to, each with unique gameplay modes that don't involve any combat, PvP or against AI. However, those that want to go fighting can do so in self-contained instances scattered throughout the game world. The developers note that the battle system will most likely be very different between the PS3 and PC versions: the PS3's input will make it more of an action game, where the face buttons will directly correspond with the actions you perform on screen. This should make it more engaging for console owners.

FreeRealms is the first fully 3D MMORPG that's being made available for free -- with no monthly fees whatsoever. The gameplay will be supported by in-game advertising, and sponsored in-game items (a Mountain Dew potion, perhaps?). While it may not appeal to the hardcore with its cutesy art style and gameplay, we think casual gamers will love the number of options available to them. Unfortunately, although the PC version is getting prepped for beta release, PS3 owners are going to have to wait much longer for the eventual port. Regardless, we can't wait to find out more about SOE's upcoming PS3 endeavors.
Click link for screens
Old 10-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Watcher of stances

looks pretty basic, but hard to criticize free.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Former Member

true that. the pricepoint does make it hard to say "YOU SUCK!!!!"

even at free, though, i won't be d/l'ing. it just looks like a time waster, and i don't have the time for that.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:05 PM

It seems like a starter MMO
Old 02-12-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Free Realms comes to PC in April, PS3 in Q3, maybe Mac
Tired of hanging out with your 12-year-old brother/sister/son/daughter? You'll finally have a permanent e-babysitter in April when teen-friendly MMO Free Realms goes live on PC. If you're going to be plopping the kids in front of a PS3 before you bolt to Olive Garden, however, you're going to need to wait until Q3, according to a report on Eurogamer. (On the bright side, the game will be a free download on PSN.) If you just can't wait for a teen-free date night, keep an eye out, as the beta for the game will reportedly begin "within a couple of weeks."

Eurogamer's source also says that Mac is "definitely on the list of platforms" Sony Online Entertainment wants to develop for," but nobody's talking details at the moment. Keep those OG gift certificates safe, Mac users. Sounds like you'll be needing them before you know it.
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/12/fr...-q3-maybe-mac/
Old 02-12-2009, 03:49 PM

I suppose this is cool. Can't argue with free + family friendly. This continues the trend of PSN and free. When most people say that it will change, it looks like more things are becoming free on the PSN.

I don't know how many of you guys have walked into Home lately, but MAN there is a ton of people in there.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:50 PM

Is there anyone on these boards that is interested in MMo's? Or perhaps that's just my perception (that we're not)
Old 02-12-2009, 03:51 PM

I played World of Warcraft for 2 and a half years, then I got married, haha. I love MMOs though. You really do need a good group of people to play with though, otherwise you get bored quickly.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasp View Post
Is there anyone on these boards that is interested in MMo's? Or perhaps that's just my perception (that we're not)
Mojo, Godstar, weasl to name a few
Old 02-12-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasp View Post
I play Final Fantasy 11 still. I've also done stints in World of Warcraft, Conan, and Warhammer, and Ragnarok Online.