Intro Credits on Discs (1 More Pro Dead Space Thread) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-18-2008, 07:36 PM

Default Intro Credits on Discs (1 More Pro Dead Space Thread)

One other thing I think is fantastic about Dead Space is its lack of bootup credits. Most games and BDs come with the litany of previews and credits; the developer, producer, publisher, Dolby or DTS deals, and copyright info. When you put in Dead Space, it takes a second to load, and then you are at the "Press Start to Begin" screen with creepy ass music. I love it.

Sometimes you can skip those credits entirely (some BDs come to mind, with scene skip, games you can press the start button), sometimes you can skip certain credits (MGS4, you can skip the Dolby Stuff, but not the Kojima productions), others you are locked into watching them all (alot of BDs, some games such as EA sports' NHL and I suspect other sports series).

I understand some people are egotistical and can't stand that you wouldn't see their name when you play their game, and that movie companies want to get as much free advertising (and by free, I mean that you paid them for it by buying the disc) as possible. But I feel like there is middle ground which could make everyone happy.

The bottom line question here is, why don't they get smart. The first time you pop in a BD or game into your 360 or PS3, it shows ALL the intro credits that the developer wants. Then it stores data in your cache or HDD, so the next time you pop it in you dont have to watch the preview for the 3 year old movies (on BD) or note that EA Sports is "in the game" (on video games; btw, EA Sports' It's in the Game is awfully lame and is about 10 years old).
Old 10-19-2008, 12:22 AM

It depends on the game. Some titles will let you skip the logo screens if the game is already cached to the HDD or if a save file is detected. Others will make you sit through them each time you play.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:37 AM

Some quick ones, I don't mind. As long as it's kept to a minimum, like one or two. I'd miss the LucasArts logos since they're always different.
I wouldn't totally object to logos only being shown when starting a game. But that doesn't work for everything.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:28 AM
Watcher of stances

funny this was brought up.
was just talking to a friend about this.

not only in games, but i love when films just start.
no credits, just a quick title screen and a swooping camera for an intro.
i tend to watch more foriegn titles than hollywood stuff, and they do it properly most of the time.

movies like spiderman that have 5 minutes of credits before the film even starts irritate me.