Elevators and Video Games (Mass Effect/Dead Space) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-18-2008, 05:27 PM

Default Elevators and Video Games (Mass Effect/Dead Space)

I remember when Mass Effect came out, and it seemed like on of the biggest gripes was the long load times masked as elevator rides. I myself never minded. For one, it doesn't jar you out of the immersion to ride on an elevator; for two, it was cool to listen to the news announcer over the speaker talking about the stuff that you were plot-wise involved with.

Despite my personal feelings, it seemed the majority of reviewers took umbridge with them.

Along comes Dead Space. The only long time complaint I heard was when you die it can take a long time to load back up (not sure I agree compared to similiar games, but fair enough). Not one reviewer out of the 6 or 7 I read in full before purchasing, nor any of the blurbs I perused on Metacritic, had a single complaint about the elevators which obscured loading times between decks.

Again, I thought it was great. I'd rather that sense of dread as its moving wondering, wtf is going to be on the other side when the door opens (and hearing those god awful screeches, bangs, etc as its moving knowing that there is some evil stuff up ahead), than having to watch a static screen say: "Loading..."

Any thoughts, why the disparate treatment, and bottom line, do you gamers really have a problem with elevator (and other like objects) hiding your load times or would you rather not see a loading screen?
Old 10-18-2008, 05:32 PM

I haven't played either game but that does sound like it would be better than just a 'loading........loading.......' type thing.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:41 PM

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/11/16/

Old 10-18-2008, 06:46 PM

Ive definitely noticed in dead space there are doors that take a like 5 seconds to open which makes it obvious that its loading but yea at least its better than having a loading screen
Old 10-18-2008, 07:02 PM
Watcher of stances

worked well for resident evil with the opening doors and up/down the steps screens.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:15 PM

worked great for metroid prime... and other games that have done loading while going through hallways, caves, elevators, doors, etc..

i'd rather have masked loading than have the game suddenly stop, load, keep going
Old 10-18-2008, 07:47 PM

Yeah I don't mean to imply ME/DS did it first, just the most recent ones to come to mind. It just seems like there are infinite ways to do that to create immersion.

Not to sound like smackdown, because I love my MGS4, but no wonder Kojima asked reviewers not to mention the numerous numerous load screens. They weren't even that long, and even the 3 minute installs between acts didn't bother me, but it was just like heart pumping spy action and then all of a sudden

NOW LOADING

I prefer the epic games that put you in the middle of a movie-like story; sure I like other games, but when I play now with the little time I have, I like to feel like I am in the middle of the action in a realistic world (be it real, fantasy, sci-fi, I want to be immersed).

That immersion just can't happen with load screens. I applaud Bioshock and Dead Space for doing most of their story telling without cut-scenes for the exact same reason, though I am not opposed to cut scenes as long as they are well integrated. MGS4 just seemed to be the most jarring example of inconsistent immersion this gen.

I wonder if we'll see more detail to immersing the player in the next-gen consoles with more tools for preloading while playing, or in this gen with more creative ways of loading with you being jarred out of the game. What would be even better would be ways to do it so inconspicuously that the unsuspecting player doesn't even notice. (I certainly think that the utilization of the PS3s installs and the forecoming similiar install ability on the 360 could help by putting that kind of data onto the hard drive.)

Does anyone know with current gen consoles if its possible, as I have often imagined, to begin loading and caching the most likely next room you would be going to while you are wandering around the currently rendered environment. Example, as you are following the linear path of a game like MGS4 where there is only 1 exit to the next "stage," why doesn't the game begin loading that in the background so that when you go on, its ready, the one you left can be gone back to, the next likely room starts to load, and any rooms that are now more than one "step" away from your current location are purged from the cache and reloaded later if needed?

I admit there must be some processing and disc read speed problems preventing this now, but you never know. Just some thoughts from a guy who wished he programmed games for a living but has no understanding of programming beyond BASIC and C++.

Anyway, thanks for listening.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:04 PM
Watcher of stances

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwoodJD View Post

Does anyone know with current gen consoles if its possible, as I have often imagined, to begin loading and caching the most likely next room you would be going to while you are wandering around the currently rendered environment. Example, as you are following the linear path of a game like MGS4 where there is only 1 exit to the next "stage," why doesn't the game begin loading that in the background so that when you go on, its ready, the one you left can be gone back to, the next likely room starts to load, and any rooms that are now more than one "step" away from your current location are purged from the cache and reloaded later if needed?

I admit there must be some processing and disc read speed problems preventing this now, but you never know. Just some thoughts from a guy who wished he programmed games for a living but has no understanding of programming beyond BASIC and C++.

Anyway, thanks for listening.
try uncharted:drakes fortune.
once the game loads up initially, there isn't a second of loading times to be found. they don't even hide them behind cutscenes.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:24 AM

Uncharted is probably my favorite on my PS3 so far (generally buy multis for my 360, so only have exclusives for the most part for the PS3). That is an example of the exact kind of game I love. Didn't hurt that Drake had a striking physical and personality resemblence to my favorite Browncoat (if you don't get it, watch Firefly, you won't be sorry)
Old 10-23-2008, 06:52 AM

This game was the worst offender for loading trying to pass off as game play