PS3 and PSP owners - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-17-2008, 05:01 PM

Default PS3 and PSP owners

To those of you that own both, I am curious about your input on owning both/ability to transfer media from one to the other, and curious if anyone has streamed video from ps3 to the psp locally and how it's worked for you.

We have a ps3 in the bedroom and I am considering buying a psp with some of the new games and psp store, and the streaming/sharing capability between the ps3 is of interedt to me, but I am not sure I understand the functionality.

thanks!
Old 10-17-2008, 05:09 PM

The video streaming doesn't work as well as I'd hoped. Certainly not over the internet, and even using the remote play direct wifi connection between the PSP and PS3 locally yields iffy video performance. Playing games doesn't work so well either. Of course, the last time I tried was a few revisions ago. Music though works great, even over the internet. To transfer media you either have to put the memory stick in your PS3 or connect by USB. Transferring media via the remote play connection would be awesome.

By far the best remote play feature, if you had a PS1 and as a result maintain a large PS1 collection, all PS1 games can be remote played.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:22 PM

The primary function of Remote Play for me is to access the Playstation Store and make PS3 purchases while my TV is occupied with other things. Sometimes I'll use it to initiate Life with Playstation to do some folding while I'm gone for the weekend and check on it periodically. Never really tried sitting down just to game over Remote Play. I've fired up Eden to see how it worked and was disappointed with the amount of lag. You can tweak the Remote Play settings to see if you can get better performance, but it doesn't help a whole lot.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:23 PM

thankgs green. Have you tried moving any rented or purchased video from the ps3 to the psp?
Old 10-18-2008, 08:03 PM

I use my PSP for Remote Play all the time. It works great on my local network. I have not tried it over the internet. The streaming of video works flawlessly for me if set up correct.

By altering the Communication Settings->Response Speed you can get better results. This ranges from -2 to +4. When streaming video I have this set to -2 just so it has that 2 seconds buffer time, but is a pain when navigating the XMB or playing a game. I have found this needs to be between +2 and +4 for best results. I have played Bionic Commando a fair bit and works great.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:17 AM

Thanks for the tips. I didn't really know how those settings worked.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:33 AM

I had played with those settings quite a bit, and still no joy for me. I wonder if there is just too much 2.4 GHz usage here in the 'hood, pretty dense little region and I can see many, many wifi networks.