RUMOR: Next Xbox to be “Forward-Compatible” - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-14-2008, 10:07 PM

Default RUMOR: Next Xbox to be “Forward-Compatible”

Quote:
Xbox Evolved has been known for posting some outlandish rumors in the past. After all back in early 2004 at the end of a rumor-smashing article, we published our own information about the next Xbox (later named Xbox 360 of course) having a hard drive as an option. GameSpy later confirmed that information in 2005, just a month before official details on the Xbox 360 were revealed. At the time it was hard to believe, even for me that the next Xbox wouldn’t require a hard drive like the original Xbox however, the sources were incredibly reliable, and at least one of the same sources have revealed some information on the third Xbox console due sometime between 2010-2012.

One of the most interesting features of the third Xbox besides being able to play all of your Xbox 360 titles, and transfer over your gamertag and gamerscore is forward-compatibility. Backwards-compatibility of course means that a game from the previous generation of systems works on the new systems. An example of this is PlayStation games working on PlayStation 2, or original Xbox games being playable on the Xbox 360 through emulation and software updates.

This is something completely different however. Forward-compatibility means that games made for the Xbox 360 are made even better thanks to the features and hardware of the next Xbox system. This isn’t a side effect of textures being cleaner and upscaled resolution, this is a new animal completely. Imagine playing Gears of War 3 on your Xbox 360 it looks and plays good right? Well imagine that the year after it comes out you go out to buy the next Xbox and it looks even better, it plays even better. Features in the new controller are utilized with the game, the graphics do not only look sharper, but the draw distance is better, the speed is better, framerate, and there are even new features, perhaps even levels via DLC for the game on the third-generation Xbox. GoW3 is of course an example of what this could mean, past the forward-compatibility information, Xbox Evolved has not been given any other information about the next generation of Xbox.

Our sources indicate that Microsoft is in a stage of “testing the waters” before they nail down the final specs of the new machine. Introducing these options early on to developers means that the games they make for the Xbox 360 will have no life on the next platform, and allow them to begin much earlier in figuring out how the next Xbox works.

There are two examples I can think of to better understand what this truly means. Those of you whom are old-school Nintendo fans may remember that if you bought the “Expansion Pak” for Nintendo 64 that it made the visuals much better and opened up far more modes and options in Rareware’ “Perfect Dark”. It could also be compared to playing the PC game “Crysis” on a mid-range setup, updating the videocard, and seeing a world of difference. We will have more on this rumor as it develops.
http://xboxevolved.e-mpire.com/artic...Xbox/4902.html
Old 10-14-2008, 10:14 PM

Funny. I was thinking about how genius I would be if I was able to achieve this.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 10-14-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master X View Post
You have 9000 posts???!!
Old 10-14-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsions View Post
You have 9000 posts???!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBtpyeLxVkI
Old 10-14-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
You have 9000 posts???!!
He's achieved the status of a God.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
You have 9000 posts???!!
Yeah, I kinda found the game room and posted half of the threads in the to get it going.

Goku is a bad ass
Old 10-14-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master X View Post
Yeah, I kinda found the game room and posted half of the threads in the to get it going.

Goku is a bad ass
You mean Vegeta, right?

(Someone should answer my new thread in this forum...)
Old 10-14-2008, 10:51 PM

I know that this isnt a Smackdown thread but they are going to have to convince people that the next X-box wont break on them. In order to do that they will have to admit that there was problems with the 360. I know that I was disapointed. Mine went bad and I got a replacement but I dont buy any games for it because I am afraid it will break if I play a new game alot on it.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx_75 View Post
I know that this isnt a Smackdown thread but they are going to have to convince people that the next X-box wont break on them. In order to do that they will have to admit that there was problems with the 360. I know that I was disapointed. Mine went bad and I got a replacement but I dont buy any games for it because I am afraid it will break if I play a new game alot on it.
Well I had rrod twice and Ill be first in line for the new xbox.
The games are great, setup is great, I love it. SUre I had a few problems but it didnt cost me anything to fix it.
AS long as it doesnt come out in 2010 it should be fine.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx_75 View Post

You're right this isn't the smackdown, but your logic is just silly. If I was afraid my 360 was going to fail I would leave it on 24-7-365 until it did. A three warranty buys a lot of peace of mind, IMO.

BTW, they already admitted there was a problem with some 360's, which is why they extended the warranty:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6173633.html