Linger in the Shadows - anyone else try it? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-14-2008, 03:30 PM

Default Linger in the Shadows - anyone else try it?

I got this right away, I've been waiting for information on this since I first heard about it in the spring or summer. 3.00 or something silly like that, and I knew it was a tech demo, so I wasn't really expecting gameplay too much...

I have "played" it twice and it is interesting.. the whole thing is kinda like WTF? As far as I can tell, you get different trophies for finding different ways to explore the action/and to interact where you can.

Once you've done a couple things, then earlier/later in the timeline, more is available to interact with - it doesn't make sense necessarily to me, but it is interesting. It might make more sense if I could complete all the different trophies and uh, sigils? I think I have about 40 or 50% complete, I will likely give'er another rip - but it was bad timing with the LBP beta.. I put linger to the side so I could get the most out of the beta.. now that it's gone, I should play it some more before buying all these other new games!

Anyone else try it? thoughts? did it make sense to you? Was the nano cloud created by the CERN particle accelerator?

Spoiler
the dog dies, the octopus mechanical guy is a robosexual
Old 10-14-2008, 03:41 PM
HDD Contributor

I tried it. I'm always curious about anything that tries to push the medium in a more artistic direction. In this case, while I found it interesting, I'm not entirely sure it was a success, at least compared to efforts like Shadow of the Colossus or Killer 7, or even The Longest Journey on the PC. To be fair, those are all "long form" while this is more like a short story or short film.

I'm impressed with that they managed to accomplish from a technical standpoint. Considering it's a small crew with a limited-to-nonexistent budget they managed to craft a beautiful looking demoscene. And it has that surreal European quality to it, so from a visual artistic standpoint, I think they succeeded. I think they dropped the ball a bit on the interactive element. I know it's not a game, and I wasn't going into it thinking of it that way, but I do feel that strength of games compared to other media is the interactivity, and here, aside from some rewinding, camera adjustment and the occasional "SixAxis waggle" they didn't really engage the user in a meaningful way. I liked it, but it's not the kind of thing I would recommend to people as an example of Games As Art the way I would the previous titles.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:58 PM

so did you unlock everything? find all the pieces, or not care? Did you make any sense of the symbolism or story/what's going on?
Old 10-14-2008, 04:23 PM
HDD Contributor

Yeah I got all the trophies, including the greetings to other demoscene groups. As far as the actual story goes, I dunno... I kind of just automatically wrote it up in head as typical surrealist European stuff where the story is really what you bring to it. I don't think there's a definitive interpretation of what's going on there that the Plastic group had in mind.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:54 PM

I bought it on Thursday but haven't tried it yet. I'm very big into finding the right time to play games or watch movies. For example, there are certain movies/games I only want to play at night or when I'm in a certain mood. This game is one of those games that you don't just play on a Sunday afternoon. This is a game I'd like to play alone on a weekend at night. So, I haven't gotten to it just yet.

Yeah, I know it may sound weird, but it really adds to the experience of games and movies to experience it in the right time and environment.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:55 PM

Downloaded it, but didn't try it yet. I loved the whole demoscene since my first computer was a C64.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:31 PM

Tried it. Kind of a Dragon's Lair kind of thing, with some really twisted visuals taking place.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:46 PM
O_o

It's interesting, I managed to get 42% of the trops during my first game. My second game no trops. I got stuck during a sequence that requires me to shake the controller but the gauge fills up roughly 75% and that's it.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:29 PM

The part with squidy coming out of the tunnel and the dog frozen? Gotta go back to where the squid is in the tunnel still. There you can turn on/off the light on the squid with the circle button (and make him look around). I don't remember which, but play with the light and it brings the meter up a bit. Then get to the dog and shake.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:01 PM

Did you guys see the old school demo that they included. I can't remember how I got it - mostly this game for me is played by mistake, but that oldschool demo was awesome! Dusto would really like it I bet.