Late to the Party: Braid - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-14-2008, 09:49 AM
Shadow1019's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,770
Default Late to the Party: Braid

I started playing Braid last night and fell in love with the story the moment I read the first few narrations. Gameplay is fine. The jumping mechanics (i.e. non-floaty) is probably how LittleBigPlanet should be. The artistic style is great. Love the paintings you have to piece together. Hate World 4 where your movement forwards and reverses time. The music is amazing. Anyone know if there is a soundtrack or other way to get the music?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-14-2008, 09:57 AM
crazzeto's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,885
Default

Braid is completely excellent and I hear you on world 4 lol!!! Very difficult puzzles, there are more than a few peices I have yet to figure out how you're supposed to get them. I completely agree with the story as well, I love how you learn more and more about how you got to be where you are as you move through worlds, and more about the regrets your main character has (I forget his name), I also love the premise of being able to go back and fix it all.... Because I mean, who doesn't have something in their lives they wish they could go back and fix up?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-14-2008, 10:01 AM
james's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 18,135
Default

Braid is a great little game, not doubt. I wish it had a little more meat on it's bones, but some of the puzzles can be extremely challenging and rewarding. I also thought the price was fair.

I loved the artistic style and the music. I have mixed feelings about the ending, but it is definitely surprising, and unexpected. I read the developer wanted to leave it open to user interpretation and it definitely accomplished that goal.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-14-2008, 10:10 AM
Shadow1019's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,770
Default

The price seems high to me. Based on my progress through the game I think it should be $10. But I'll obviously re-assess after finishing it.

I have 3 pieces left in World 4 after replaying the levels a few times. But I'm one of those people who doesn't want to move on to the next section without completely finishing the one I'm on. So, I imagine I'm in for at least another hour of frustration there.

The main character is Tim and I'm looking forward to learning more of the story and seeing the ending - I hope nobody spoils it for me.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-14-2008, 10:16 AM
james's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 18,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholmes1019 View Post
The price seems high to me. Based on my progress through the game I think it should be $10. But I'll obviously re-assess after finishing it.

I have 3 pieces left in World 4 after replaying the levels a few times. But I'm one of those people who doesn't want to move on to the next section without completely finishing the one I'm on. So, I imagine I'm in for at least another hour of frustration there.

The main character is Tim and I'm looking forward to learning more of the story and seeing the ending - I hope nobody spoils it for me.

I think you will be in a better position to assess it's value once you complete the game, but it's ultimately a subjective metric. Getting to see the ending is worth it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Snadinator's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 19,563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholmes1019 View Post
The price seems high to me. Based on my progress through the game I think it should be $10. But I'll obviously re-assess after finishing it.

I have 3 pieces left in World 4 after replaying the levels a few times. But I'm one of those people who doesn't want to move on to the next section without completely finishing the one I'm on. So, I imagine I'm in for at least another hour of frustration there.

The main character is Tim and I'm looking forward to learning more of the story and seeing the ending - I hope nobody spoils it for me.
I disagree, $15 was very fair. Lots of puzzles, beautifull art and music. It provides more entertainment than many retail discs at $60. I mean come on, $15! We all spend more than that on useless junk.

The story can be interpreted in many ways. It's up to how you see it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 27,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholmes1019 View Post
and fell in love with the story the moment I read the first few narrations.
for some reason... i wrote this down from the game. i don't know why i like it or the quote sticks with me.

Quote:
If we have learned from a mistake and become better for it. Shouldn't we be rewarded for the learning, rather then punished for the mistake?
that was one of the first few narrations, and that's when i fell for the story too.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-14-2008, 01:23 PM
Shadow1019's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miDnIghtEr View Post
for some reason... i wrote this down from the game. i don't know why i like it or the quote sticks with me.

(quote)

that was one of the first few narrations, and that's when i fell for the story too.
Yeah, that was a good one. But I was even more drawn in by the talk of how he hurt his relationship:

Quote:
This happened because Tim made a mistake."

"Not just one. He made many mistakes during the time they spent together, all those years ago. Memories of their relationship have become muddled, replaced wholesale, but one remains clear: the princess turning sharply away, her braid lashing at him with contempt."

"He knows she tried to be forgiving, but who can just shrug away a guilty lie, a stab in the back? Such a mistake will change a relationship irreversibly, even if we have learned from the mistake and would never repeat it. The princess's eyes grew narrower. She became more distant."

Suppose we could tell her: 'I didn't mean what I just said,' and she would say: 'It's okay, I understand,' and she would not turn away, and life would really proceed as though we had never said that thing? We could remove the damage but still be wiser for the experience."
I loved reading this because, think about it, anyone who has had a serious relationship knows that what you're reading here isn't words or even a story really. What you're reading is emotion. And the way it's described is both very powerful and very familiar to most people because we've all been there. We've made those mistakes. We've seen how hurtful they can be. And we've wished we could take them back. We know exactly how this character feels. I haven't seen this princess, but I can so easily picture her "eyes [growing] narrower," or "her braid lashing [] with contempt." Because it's something I've seen in my real life.

It's so simple and so minimal, but it's all you need.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-14-2008, 01:26 PM
crazzeto's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miDnIghtEr View Post
for some reason... i wrote this down from the game. i don't know why i like it or the quote sticks with me.



that was one of the first few narrations, and that's when i fell for the story too.
I love the quote you picked out, that pulled me in as well!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Shadow1019's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,770
Default

I finished Braid last week just 3 days after I bought it. I really liked it. **The thread is now open to spoilers, so be warned if you haven't played through the entire game.**

So, let's talk about the ending/story. I've read online that some people believe your character is actually an ex-lover or a stalker or something. The time reversal once you get to the princess and she is running away from you obviously suggests that something isn't right.

I'm not sure what I think because, frankly, I didn't have a clue what the story parts meant in the epilogue. I would need to go back through all of the dialogue in the entire game to reach a conclusion. But I was hoping some of you guys would chime in with your interpretations.

So, what is the story behind Braid?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spencer says MS focusing on "First party" exclusives over Third Party from now on. Indy_aka_Rex Gaming Smackdown 10 08-01-2015 10:17 AM
RUMOR: Behind the Scenes with First Party Hardware and Third Party Software Next miDnIghtEr Gaming Smackdown 71 12-02-2012 07:37 PM
Late to the party...HD-DVD newbie woecarlson HD DVD Hardware General Discussion 4 09-05-2010 06:11 PM
Braid developer: Braid could come to PS3, not to Wii though viewsonic Gaming Smackdown 82 08-12-2008 07:17 PM
Late to the Party: Do most Blu fans have aright to gloat? Bathawk High Definition Smackdown 54 02-18-2008 01:45 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off