Unable to obtain IP address? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-14-2008, 12:27 AM

Default Unable to obtain IP address?

Something weird is happening to my PS3. My PS3 can't obtain an IP address, note I have a 20 gig so I can only go wired. It was working fine yesterday, but then I needed to use my PS3 ethernet cable for something else and when I plugged it back in, it was no longer obtaining the IP address. Can anybody help?

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 10-14-2008, 12:37 AM

This happen to me when I had my 360 and ps3 hooked up at the same time.
I made a thread here, i think someone posted what to do it in if you can find it.
I forgot what they said to do.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
Something weird is happening to my PS3. My PS3 can't obtain an IP address, note I have a 20 gig so I can only go wired. It was working fine yesterday, but then I needed to use my PS3 ethernet cable for something else and when I plugged it back in, it was no longer obtaining the IP address. Can anybody help?

Have you checked your router; is it set up for DHCP? I would power off your PS3, reboot your router, and power on your PS3. Are there other devices on your network and are they able to get to the Internet? If not, reboot your modem. If that doesn't work, call your ISP. I doubt the PS3 is the problem; you also might want to test to see if the cable is still good, do you have a spare you can test with; are you seeing a Ethernet link light on your PS3; does it appear to be passing traffic?
Old 10-14-2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Have you checked your router; is it set up for DHCP? I would power off your PS3, reboot your router, and power on your PS3. Are there other devices on your network and are they able to get to the Internet? If not, reboot your modem. If that doesn't work, call your ISP. I doubt the PS3 is the problem; you also might want to test to see if the cable is still good, do you have a spare you can test with?
Done that. I have modem/router, all in one. So it should work. Rebooted modem. Cable is still good. Also, I was able to obtain the IP address by using the one my computer had, and then inputting it manually but I don't know what to put for Default Router in the internet connection settings.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 10-14-2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Done that. I have modem/router, all in one. So it should work. Rebooted modem. Cable is still good. Also, I was able to obtain the IP address by using the one my computer had, and then inputting it manually but I don't know what to put for Default Router in the internet connection settings.
Is there a link light on your PS3's Ethernet port; is it passing traffic?

Is your computer able to get out to the Internet?
Old 10-14-2008, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Is there a link light on your PS3's Ethernet port; is it passing traffic?

Is your computer able to get out to the Internet?
Yeah, computer is able to get out to the internet, the ethernet port is flashing green on the PS3

Old 10-14-2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Yeah, computer is able to get out to the internet, the ethernet port is flashing green on the PS3

The default router is whatever is supposed to assign the PS3 the IP. It's also known as the default gateway. Is your router set up to assign IP's? If I were you, I wouldn't mess with the manual settings, I would stick with the automatic settings, if they were working before.

And, in case you were thinking I was dense for asking if your computer was still working while you are posting on this website, for all I know you could be using an iPhone, or some other 3G or Edge network device.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:01 AM

Hm, got it to work. I just decided to power cycle the modem one more time, and then used default settings and it sorted out itself. How odd

Old 10-14-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Hm, got it to work. I just decided to power cycle the modem one more time, and then used default settings and it sorted out itself. How odd
Maybe your router/modem isn't releasing IP addresses like it's supposed to. If it happens again, log into your router/modem and see if it lets you look at a list of DHCP clients. I might bump up the number of clients if it's set to a low number too.