Old 10-13-2008, 03:22 PM

Thumbs up Star Ocean: The Last Hope impressions

http://www.rpgamer.com/event/tgs2008...ns/so4imp.html

Looking good
Old 10-13-2008, 03:23 PM

is it turn based?
Old 10-13-2008, 03:35 PM
HDD Contributor

Dammit, this is pissing me off. Why is it that all the traditional turn-based stuff is on the PS2? Even Lost Odyssey had that mild, real-time action component to the combat to enhance damage.

Maybe I'm just getting old or something but I really miss the chess-like mechanics of traditional turn-based combat where you could stop and think about what you wanted to do instead of the migration to twitchiness that we're seeing now. I admit this is a personal bias on my part, because turn-based JRPGs are what turned my wife onto games and now she can't play them anymore because the new orientation towards action elements is something she can't keep up with, so stuff like Rogue Galaxy, and even the demos for Eternal Sonata and Valkyria Chronicles on the PS3 have all made her sigh and say "Well, that's another game I won't be playing."

I hope we're not seeing the end extinction of the traditional turn-based JRPG. As it is, the only new RPG title my wife is really looking forward to these days is Persona 4, for obvious reasons.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Dammit, this is pissing me off. Why is it that all the traditional turn-based stuff is on the PS2? Even Lost Odyssey had that mild, real-time action component to the combat to enhance damage.

Maybe I'm just getting old or something but I really miss the chess-like mechanics of traditional turn-based combat where you could stop and think about what you wanted to do instead of the migration to twitchiness that we're seeing now. I admit this is a personal bias on my part, because turn-based JRPGs are what turned my wife onto games and now she can't play them anymore because the new orientation towards action elements is something she can't keep up with, so stuff like Rogue Galaxy, and even the demos for Eternal Sonata and Valkyria Chronicles on the PS3 have all made her sigh and say "Well, that's another game I won't be playing."

I hope we're not seeing the end extinction of the traditional turn-based JRPG. As it is, the only new RPG title my wife is really looking forward to these days is Persona 4, for obvious reasons.
Man I cant get into turn based. Im more for the oblivion or zelda type of rpg
Old 10-13-2008, 03:53 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsions View Post
Man I cant get into turn based. Im more for the oblivion or zelda type of rpg
Yeah, it's not for everyone, but for dinosaurs like me, it's what we grew up with back when the technology to do real time combat within an rpg framework simply wasn't feasible. But I like the thinking that goes into it. The careful consideration of stats, the accessorizing of your characters with more gear, distributing their points into various abilities and then finally watching it all come together through a careful selection of moves, or partnering certain members together for combined attacks, or whatever. There's an appeal there for me along the lines of "Think this through. If you carefully consider how to do this fight and pick your moves correctly, it can work." Real time combat doesn't give you that luxury of sitting there thinking, "Okay, what now?" It's all about movement and striking. Turn based stuff gives you an opportunity to consider strategy, thinking ahead several moves to set up specific attacks that are followed up with other attacks, or setting up defenses to heal while other characters perform various support functions. That kind of intricate, combined activity is very difficult to pull off in an action-based title, and I'll miss it a lot if it goes the way of the dinosaur.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:56 PM

TURNED BASED > real time.

There I said it.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:58 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrochaos View Post
TURNED BASED > real time.

There I said it.
Dude, are you trying to become my hero? You're doing a good job of it.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Dude, are you trying to become my hero? You're doing a good job of it.
lol

Honestly, I played FFXII and sat there and thought "WTF am I playing!, This isn't FF!" FF is turned based!
Old 10-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Banned

I like both, but I love real time, turn based is to slow now compared to real time. and making the combos in tales of vesperia was awesome, something that just can't be replicated in turn based. its just not the same. hell yeah star ocean! and shoeless I think last remnant is turn based. blue dragon was turn based, wasn't it? and lo was turned based, sure it had that whole ring crap but it was turned based.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:24 PM

I like both also.