PSN Game Sharing Thread - Request/Offer/Trade/Share - High-Def Digest Forums
Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 04:07 PM

Default PSN Game Sharing Thread - Request/Offer/Trade/Share

Anyone interested in doing a PSN game sharing thread? There is one on GAF and it is very successful. Feel free to post your wants and haves here.

Here's an explanation for how it's done:

Quote:
If you are the one who share the game:

-Go to the left side of the XMB and hit "Create New User". Make it any name you want.
-Go to the right side of XMB. You will only have 1 option, to make a PSN ID. You will put in an E-mail address. Either put in one of your own, or make a new spam account on Yahoo Mail(recommended).
-Your new PSN ID is ready to be used. Go through the normal steps for buying a PSN game.
-After buying and downloading your new purchase go to the right side of XMB to account management. Select Account Management again.
-Here, go to "Edit Billing Info" and remove all information. Then go to "Edit Account Info" and remove all that information. This is so that no one can get on this account and purchase other software on your dime. Use this if you don't personally know the people in your group.
-Send username/password out to the people who have payed you for their portion of the game.
-When pricing each persons's share of the cost, remember that PayPal will charge around 30-40 cents per member deposit.
-It's likely that each person has to download the game one at a time, but this is not tested.
-KEEP THIS PSN ID ON YOUR SYSTEM OR ELSE YOU CAN'T USE THE GAME ANYMORE

If someone is sharing with you, then here is what you will do:

-Go to the left side of the XMB and hit "Create New User". Make it any name you want.
-Go to the right side of XMB. You will only have 1 option, to make a PSN ID. Select "Use existing account" and put in the info that was sent to you by the person hosting your share.
-Now you should be able to get on the PS Store, and click on "Download List". In this list will be the downloads that have been made on the account. Whatever game has been bought on the account will be right there. Click download, and you're set.
-Log off of the ID when you have finished and you can play the game on your regular ID!
-KEEP THIS PSN ID ON YOUR SYSTEM OR ELSE YOU CAN'T USE THE GAME ANYMORE

Tips:

A good trick is to change your password after everyone in your group is done downloading. That way they can't get back onto your ID unless you share with them again and give the new password out.
Don't send the Login/Password out until you have gotten your PayPal payment.

Things to remember:

-Don't trade with random people who message you on PSN! They are scammers 99.9999999% of the time!!!
-Before you share the account information with anyone you are sharing with, remove all of your billing information. You don't want to leave yourself open to unwanted charges.
-DO NOT TRUST RANDOM PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET WITH YOUR BILLING INFORMATION.
-It's smart not to use your regular PSN ID to share games with people, but you can if you want to. Creating a new account is a safe way to go.
-Remember you can change the password before forwarding the account info, and then change it back when the trade is done.
-Be careful who you share with. Random people on the internet are random people on the internet. If a person just joined they are much more likely to be a scammer. Trusting someone who just joined the forums is a risk, and it is not recommended.
-PayPal is the easiest method for sending money to each other. When you collect money on PayPal, there is a small charge. If you split a $10 game 5 ways, ask for $2.50 from each of the other people to cover tax and PayPal fees.
http://forumst.slickdeals.net/showth...uid=0&t=908412

My List:
  • flOw
  • Calling All Cars
  • Super Rub a Dub
  • Loco Roco Cocoreccho
  • Bionic Commando: Rearmed
  • The Last Guy
  • Everyday Shooter
  • PixelJunk Monsters
  • PixelJunk Eden

Last edited by Shadow1019; 10-09-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:17 PM

yo holmes.. can you explain what you mean exactly? Are you saying that we would be trading games or sharing exactly - is this legal/ethical/proper? how does this work.. so help me I'm apparently really stupid - or quite naive. As for my list -

1942 joint strike
Street fighter Alpha (PS0NE)
Twisted Metal Two (PSONE)
Jeopardy
And if Linger in the shadows still comes out today, that will be mine!
Old 10-09-2008, 04:23 PM

I have:

PixelJunk Eden
SuperStardust HD
1942 Joint Strike
Pain

+ these which aren't games

Mesmerize
Aqua Vita

I would quite like Street Fighter although I don't really know how this works
Old 10-09-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasp View Post
yo holmes.. can you explain what you mean exactly? Are you saying that we would be trading games or sharing exactly - is this legal/ethical/proper? how does this work.. so help me I'm apparently really stupid - or quite naive. As for my list -

1942 joint strike
Street fighter Alpha (PS0NE)
Twisted Metal Two (PSONE)
Jeopardy
And if Linger in the shadows still comes out today, that will be mine!
I'll do my best to explain it. Yes, you can shared most PSN games. Full games like Warhawk can technically be shared, but it is restricted to one user playing every 24 hours, so it really isn't worth trading. Is it legal? It depends. Early on, Sony actually promoted this feature as a benefit of the PS3. It really hasn't been mentioned much since 2006, but the ability to share remains. My understanding is that it is up to the developer to allow for sharing in EULA. However, I believe I've only seen one game (I can't remember which) that actually specifically permits it. So, if you ask me, if you don't see that sharing is permitted in the EULA, then I think it is illegal. But, if that's true, Sony has never enforced that requirement because I seem to be the only person who even took notice to that issue. Nevertheless, people share without concern as it seems that Sony is ok with the practice. In fact, here is Sony's official explanation for the feature:

Quote:
Content purchased from the PLAYSTATION Store can be accessed from different PLAYSTATION 3 systems (such as your friend's PLAYSTATION 3) using the PLAYSTATIONŽNetwork account that purchased the content. Just log-in to your PLAYSTATION Network account from the other PLAYSTATION 3 system.

You can associate your PLAYSTATION Network account with up to five other PLAYSTATION 3 systems.

To access your PLAYSTATION Network account from a different PLAYSTATION 3:

1. Create a new local User Account on the other PLAYSTATION 3 system. (Users icon (Users) > [Create New User])

2. Go to Friends icon (Friends) and select [Sign Up for the PLAYSTATIONŽNetwork].

3. When the screen prompts you "Do you want to create a new account?", select "No, I will use an existing account."

4. Follow the on-screen instructions to associate your PLAYSTATION Network account with the new (i.e., your friend's) PLAYSTATION 3 system. Once this step is complete, it will bring you back the XMB™ home menu where you will be able to access your PLAYSTATION Store content at your convenience.
http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-...i=&p_topview=1

Now, there are security risks if you don't protect yourself before you share - which essentially means you need to make sure any stored credit card information is not visible to the person you're sharing with. But, like I said, GAF members have been doing this for a long, long time now and it seems to work very well for them.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:37 PM

I think most downloaded games say that they can be downloaded on up to five different PS3s.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerGuy View Post
I think most downloaded games say that they can be downloaded on up to five different PS3s.
I've only seen it on one.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:44 PM

I've edited the OP to show how the sharing is done. Even if nobody ends up doing it, we'll all learn more about how it's done.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:50 PM

Okay cool - but I then can't share any of my games, because:
1. I'm not giving out my PSN ID.
2. I don't know my password, and can't get a reset because I must not have used my real birthday.
3. All my games were purchased with my current PSNID and arrgh!
Old 10-09-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholmes1019 View Post
I've only seen it on one.
According to Wiki's PSN page,

"The ability to use PlayStation Store content licenses for re-download is limited to five different PlayStation 3 consoles."

Still cool that you can share up to 5 times. I've used this on occassion with a few of my good friends.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasp View Post
Okay cool - but I then can't share any of my games, because:
1. I'm not giving out my PSN ID.
2. I don't know my password, and can't get a reset because I must not have used my real birthday.
3. All my games were purchased with my current PSNID and arrgh!
Yeah, you only want to do it if you trust the other person (which can obviously be difficult with someone you've met on the internet). But I think the idea is that you create an alternate user on your PS3 with a new username and password. That's what you give out so it acts essentially as a dummy account so whoever you share with still doesn't have access to your primary, master account.
Closed Thread