LBP beta user reviews - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Snadinator's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 19,563
Default LBP beta user reviews

Let's hear your thoughts.

I played for roughly 2 hours and through the 4 levels on LittleBigPlanet and I'm not sure what to think. It feels like a regular platformer with cute characters where you can stamp stickers and decorations anywhere and make levels using literally tons of props.

The sixaxis controls the characters head direction, the directional pad controls the facial expression and the right and left triggers let you control hand gestures.... They don't do much other than make the character cute.

The right bumper allows you to grab stuff, so you can push blocks to get over ledges, swing off stuff etc... X jumps, square button opens a small menu to change your sack, or decorate stuff in the levels.

At the end of the level you are scored based on how many bubbles and collectables you found.

You can disguise the character with a variety of props, many which you need to find in the levels (which also have unlockables used to stamp and sticker shit as well as stuff for custom levels).

I made my sack wear a helmet, glasses, huge teeth and pirate clothing.

You got a station called a POD which you can decorate, or select to go into the campaign, play submitted levels or make your own.

I played the Shadows of the Colossus level that someone submitted but I thought it was boring.

I'll play it some more from here to Saturday (beta end date) and try to get some multiplayer with Vsions. So far, It can be fun, but I'm not seeing the AAA and brouhaha that everyone is bringing up. I don't really plan on making my own levels to be honest... I used to dink with level editing in Duke Nukem 3D and Farcry which had easy level editors and it wasn't my thing. Nor have I ever used the level editor in Halo 3.

So I don't know what to think. I'm certainly not as excited as when I got my key.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Snadinator's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 19,563
Default

So far I'm thinking the campaign is just for collecting stuff to make your own levels and customizations. I'd have to say if your into that, this is the game for you. If your just looking for a platformer, I can't yet recommend this over other platformers out there. We will see as I try more stuff out.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-08-2008, 09:12 PM
viewsonic's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,105
Default

Its one of the best games I've ever played and the full version could well become my favourite game of all time.

IMO the best thing about the game is the online multiplayer. Even the worst levels are great fun when you are exploring them for the first (and last lol) time with a bunch of other people.

BTW the hand movements also allow you to smack other players off of platforms or into traps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
So far I'm thinking the campaign is just for collecting stuff to make your own levels and customizations. I'd have to say if your into that, this is the game for you. If your just looking for a platformer, I can't yet recommend this over other platformers out there. We will see as I try more stuff out.
The campaign in the full game has a full story mode, none of which is in the Beta.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Snadinator's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 19,563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewsonic View Post
The campaign in the full game has a full story mode, none of which is in the Beta.

Be that as it may, the mechanics and gameplay are pretty much fully covered in the Beta.

I'll have to try the multi-player, but single-player so far has not really left me wanting more.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Onslaught X's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 37,577
Default

Game = greatest thing since sliced bread

DC > Marvel
__________________
Don't Reach, Young Blood

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Snadinator's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 19,563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
Game = greatest thing since sliced bread

DC > Marvel
Hahaha can you elaborate on why you like the game...

private final int DC = 1;
private int marvel;

for (marvel = 1; marvel < 1000000; marvel ++)
{
System.out.printf("Marvel < DC\nMarvel = %s\nDC = %s", marvel, DC);
}

Now I've just spammed it 1 million times
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Onslaught X's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 37,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
Hahaha can you elaborate on why you like the game...

private final int DC = 1;
private int marvel;

for (marvel = 1; marvel < 1000000; marvel ++)
{
System.out.printf("Marvel < DC\nMarvel = %s\nDC = %s", marvel, DC);
}

Now I've just spammed it 1 million times
Yeah but is there a Marvel fanclub on HDD? I think not.

Anyways. Regarding the game. I thought the tutorial was fun, albeit a little repetitive. It seemed to me though that this had nothing to do with the story, and I'm assuming the story is introduced a little bit later. It was a fun platformer, but agreed, it wasn't incredibly mind blowing. After I finished the tutorial, the Last Genius invited me to play his level. So we co-op'ed it up, and it was incredible. I couldn't believe that he created all those levels, not to mention, it was much more difficult (making it more fun), and it was kinda fun to see how we both fell to our doom and died. So we never beat the level, but it was fun as hell. I was sold. Then I worked on building my own level but I'm not finished. 9/10 so far.
__________________
Don't Reach, Young Blood

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-08-2008, 09:38 PM
RedRedSuit's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 25,746
Default

Christ... they've added printf() to Java now?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Snadinator's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 19,563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
Christ... they've added printf() to Java now?
yep...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Snadinator's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 19,563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
Yeah but is there a Marvel fanclub on HDD? I think not.

Anyways. Regarding the game. I thought the tutorial was fun, albeit a little repetitive. It seemed to me though that this had nothing to do with the story, and I'm assuming the story is introduced a little bit later. It was a fun platformer, but agreed, it wasn't incredibly mind blowing. After I finished the tutorial, the Last Genius invited me to play his level. So we co-op'ed it up, and it was incredible. I couldn't believe that he created all those levels, not to mention, it was much more difficult (making it more fun), and it was kinda fun to see how we both fell to our doom and died. So we never beat the level, but it was fun as hell. I was sold. Then I worked on building my own level but I'm not finished. 9/10 so far.
Invite me in a game tomorrow
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Metacritic Rsponds to LBP User scores! "Certain Idiots" daevv Gaming Smackdown 126 10-17-2008 04:03 PM
LBP Beta Code For Grabs. SoylentGreen Game Room 5 10-09-2008 12:04 PM
Who Needs a LBP Beta Key??? dandeeswish Game Room 2 10-03-2008 10:11 PM
LBP Beta giveaway a strategic move by Sony??? kyzer1978 Gaming Smackdown 5 09-27-2008 12:15 AM
LBP - High expectations for LBP game jam capnmonkey Game Room 1 09-18-2008 04:13 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off