LBP beta user reviews - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-08-2008, 08:57 PM

Default LBP beta user reviews

Let's hear your thoughts.

I played for roughly 2 hours and through the 4 levels on LittleBigPlanet and I'm not sure what to think. It feels like a regular platformer with cute characters where you can stamp stickers and decorations anywhere and make levels using literally tons of props.

The sixaxis controls the characters head direction, the directional pad controls the facial expression and the right and left triggers let you control hand gestures.... They don't do much other than make the character cute.

The right bumper allows you to grab stuff, so you can push blocks to get over ledges, swing off stuff etc... X jumps, square button opens a small menu to change your sack, or decorate stuff in the levels.

At the end of the level you are scored based on how many bubbles and collectables you found.

You can disguise the character with a variety of props, many which you need to find in the levels (which also have unlockables used to stamp and sticker shit as well as stuff for custom levels).

I made my sack wear a helmet, glasses, huge teeth and pirate clothing.

You got a station called a POD which you can decorate, or select to go into the campaign, play submitted levels or make your own.

I played the Shadows of the Colossus level that someone submitted but I thought it was boring.

I'll play it some more from here to Saturday (beta end date) and try to get some multiplayer with Vsions. So far, It can be fun, but I'm not seeing the AAA and brouhaha that everyone is bringing up. I don't really plan on making my own levels to be honest... I used to dink with level editing in Duke Nukem 3D and Farcry which had easy level editors and it wasn't my thing. Nor have I ever used the level editor in Halo 3.

So I don't know what to think. I'm certainly not as excited as when I got my key.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:11 PM

So far I'm thinking the campaign is just for collecting stuff to make your own levels and customizations. I'd have to say if your into that, this is the game for you. If your just looking for a platformer, I can't yet recommend this over other platformers out there. We will see as I try more stuff out.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:12 PM

Its one of the best games I've ever played and the full version could well become my favourite game of all time.

IMO the best thing about the game is the online multiplayer. Even the worst levels are great fun when you are exploring them for the first (and last lol) time with a bunch of other people.

BTW the hand movements also allow you to smack other players off of platforms or into traps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
So far I'm thinking the campaign is just for collecting stuff to make your own levels and customizations. I'd have to say if your into that, this is the game for you. If your just looking for a platformer, I can't yet recommend this over other platformers out there. We will see as I try more stuff out.
The campaign in the full game has a full story mode, none of which is in the Beta.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewsonic View Post
The campaign in the full game has a full story mode, none of which is in the Beta.

Be that as it may, the mechanics and gameplay are pretty much fully covered in the Beta.

I'll have to try the multi-player, but single-player so far has not really left me wanting more.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:28 PM

Game = greatest thing since sliced bread

DC > Marvel

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 10-08-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
Game = greatest thing since sliced bread

DC > Marvel
Hahaha can you elaborate on why you like the game...

private final int DC = 1;
private int marvel;

for (marvel = 1; marvel < 1000000; marvel ++)
{
System.out.printf("Marvel < DC\nMarvel = %s\nDC = %s", marvel, DC);
}

Now I've just spammed it 1 million times
Old 10-08-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
Hahaha can you elaborate on why you like the game...

private final int DC = 1;
private int marvel;

for (marvel = 1; marvel < 1000000; marvel ++)
{
System.out.printf("Marvel < DC\nMarvel = %s\nDC = %s", marvel, DC);
}

Now I've just spammed it 1 million times
Yeah but is there a Marvel fanclub on HDD? I think not.

Anyways. Regarding the game. I thought the tutorial was fun, albeit a little repetitive. It seemed to me though that this had nothing to do with the story, and I'm assuming the story is introduced a little bit later. It was a fun platformer, but agreed, it wasn't incredibly mind blowing. After I finished the tutorial, the Last Genius invited me to play his level. So we co-op'ed it up, and it was incredible. I couldn't believe that he created all those levels, not to mention, it was much more difficult (making it more fun), and it was kinda fun to see how we both fell to our doom and died. So we never beat the level, but it was fun as hell. I was sold. Then I worked on building my own level but I'm not finished. 9/10 so far.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 10-08-2008, 09:38 PM

Christ... they've added printf() to Java now?
Old 10-08-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
Christ... they've added printf() to Java now?
yep...
Old 10-08-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
Yeah but is there a Marvel fanclub on HDD? I think not.

Anyways. Regarding the game. I thought the tutorial was fun, albeit a little repetitive. It seemed to me though that this had nothing to do with the story, and I'm assuming the story is introduced a little bit later. It was a fun platformer, but agreed, it wasn't incredibly mind blowing. After I finished the tutorial, the Last Genius invited me to play his level. So we co-op'ed it up, and it was incredible. I couldn't believe that he created all those levels, not to mention, it was much more difficult (making it more fun), and it was kinda fun to see how we both fell to our doom and died. So we never beat the level, but it was fun as hell. I was sold. Then I worked on building my own level but I'm not finished. 9/10 so far.
Invite me in a game tomorrow