PS2 Emulator Download for Non-BC PS3s? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-08-2008, 10:16 AM

Default PS2 Emulator Download for Non-BC PS3s?

Quote:
If VideoGameCentral is to be believed, it is stated in their product description of a 80GB Console that there is a Playstation 2 Emulator available for download, which is the only way to play PS2 games for our PS3 consoles that are not backwards compatible. Is there something Sony's not telling us? Could Sony be releasing a PS2 Emulator? Will it be on the 2.50 Firmware that is coming out soon?
http://www.ps3scene.com/news/static/...1223353569.php

Clearly a rumor from a source (VideoGameCentral) which I am not familiar enough with to put any stock in. I bought a PS2 on the cheap to play through some of the great games I missed last gen being a poor Xbox owner who couldn't afford both. I loved MGS1-3 and the God of War games, but I would love to be able to sell off my PS2 for some quick cash. However, I would only do that assuming I could still play my games on my non-BC PS3.

Anyone heard any good news which might support this rumor, or should I file it away as wishful thinking this late in the game? *crosses fingers for a TGS announcement*

*Disclaimer*
I put this discussion in the Game Room instead of Smackdown for a reason.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:36 AM

I wouldn't be shocked if the person who put that in/wrote the description was simply confused by the "PS2 System Data" download that has been on the PSN store since pretty much launch day, which allows playing PS2 games that require the hard drive (i.e. FFXI) on the BC PS3s.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:45 AM

On the other hand, it's possible that an announcement like this could be made at TGS, since this was originally rumored for E3.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club